Skip navigation
c-oliff
Currently Being Moderated

And... we're back in the game

Sep 9, 2010 6:57 AM

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/09/09statement.html

Statement by Apple on App Store Review Guidelines

The App Store℠ has revolutionized the way mobile applications are developed and distributed. With over 250,000 apps and 6.5 billion downloads, the App Store has become the world’s largest mobile application platform and App Store developers have earned over one billion dollars from the sales of their apps.

We are continually trying to make the App Store even better. We have listened to our developers and taken much of their feedback to heart. Based on their input, today we are making some important changes to our iOS Developer Program license in sections 3.3.1, 3.3.2 and 3.3.9 to relax some restrictions we put in place earlier this year.

In particular, we are relaxing all restrictions on the development tools used to create iOS apps, as long as the resulting apps do not download any code. This should give developers the flexibility they want, while preserving the security we need.

In addition, for the first time we are publishing the App Store Review Guidelines to help developers understand how we review submitted apps. We hope it will make us more transparent and help our developers create even more successful apps for the App Store.

The App Store is perhaps the most important milestone in the history of mobile software. Working together with our developers, we will continue to surprise and delight our users with innovative mobile apps.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 9, 2010 8:54 AM   in reply to c-oliff

It will be interesting to hear Adobe's position on this.  As indicated elsewhere on the site (http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/packagerforiphone/):

"At this time, we have ceased further development of the Packager for iPhone"

Will development on this application resume or has Adobe had enough?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2010 8:58 AM   in reply to Tim Mattison

I bet they hadn't stopped development and maybe we'll see a new version in a week or less

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2010 9:00 AM   in reply to c-oliff

finally good news...

now Adobe HAS to keep developing for that...

let's wait for news from adobe

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2010 9:17 AM   in reply to ZRock2

So, just when we were getting nice and comphy with Android, the evil one wants to tempt us back.

It would really help Adobe to make the platform distiction clear this time! "Flash" is not an acurate collective term for what is going on and it is confusing the hell out of our market (as developers).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2010 9:46 AM   in reply to thinkadoo

I agree.  I'm getting tired of beating off the morons on the Mac rumors forum who seem to think this means the Flash player will be running on their iPhone.  I thought these people were supposed to be smart but they just do not understand the concept of Flash actually creating a native app.

To be honest I did not see this coming but it is a pleasant surprise.  I still think using strict Objectice C is the better way to go but honestly I have no time at all to learn it just to support a 1% market share even though that market is lucrative.  Besides my company mostly does video streaming which isn't the sort of thing we sell to our users.  It is the service we sell and this will hopefully give us another option.

The not supporting downloaded code has me a bit nervous about the FMS but I will have to wait and see what it all means.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2010 3:29 PM   in reply to c-oliff

Finally! Best news ever since the release of CS5. Finally I will be able to write the apps that I need for myself, and maybe make a few bucks on the way. I just hope that when the Android packaging is finished the AS3 code will be compatible to some extend so I can publish for both platforms without too much rewriting. This is freaking awesome!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2010 6:06 AM   in reply to c-oliff

I would like to hear from Adobe on this. Anyone see anything they've said on this?

My team has been scrambling to make multiple client-side apps to accomodate the nonsense. One client app development would certainly change what we're doing.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2010 6:47 AM   in reply to Mikedesimon

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/09/09/adobe-to-resume-work-on-flash-to-i phone-compiler/

According to this Adobe indicated they will resume work on the ios packager but I'm not sure where the heck Macrumors got this info from because I have not been able to find it anywhere else.  I figured this forum would have heard something from Adobe first but I guess not.

What is interesting in the report in the link above is that some apps made with the packager have already been approved by Apple.  Again I'm not sure where the got this information.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2010 7:40 AM   in reply to smetvid

It's official:

http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2010/09/great-news-for-developers .html

"The feature is available for developers to use today in Flash Professional CS5, and we will now resume development work on this feature for future releases."

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2010 9:27 AM   in reply to rcastagno

More from the blog of Adobe's AIR PM Christian Cantrell:

http://blogs.adobe.com/cantrell/archives/2010/09/packager-for-iphone-r efresher.html

We are definitely going to have cross-platform AIR superpowers on iOS.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points