Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Open Password protected files - up to version 9

Sep 12, 2010 8:51 PM

The Acrobat reader released for Android will only open version 6 files with ANY  type of security applied. As a publisher, I need to be able to publish secure  documents in current formats (version 9). Saving back 3 revs is a little crazy and  can only prevent printing, not access and can be cracked for free in seconds. Need to be able open Version 9  and older password protected files (access and printing control).  Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 15, 2010 11:10 PM   in reply to itebiz

Hi,

We have taken a note of this request and will consider this feature in a future release of the Reader.

Thanks,

Gaurav

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2010 2:53 AM   in reply to itebiz

Same issue here.  I publish secure pdf's so until Android Adobe Reader opens them its no use to me.

Also the error message is entirely unhelpful declaring an error but no other info.

Shame, the first blot on my beautiful new Adroid 2.2 landscape.

byw, I just love the RDP to my windows servers.  It really works.  I am freed from my desk!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 12:33 AM   in reply to itebiz

I would also like to request the ability ton open password protected PDFs. All of my school documents are password protected and I cannot open them in this app. Other apps claim to be able to do so but I would prefer the original app contain this feature. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 2:34 AM   in reply to Sidewinder38

The latest Adobe Reader X on Android has the capability to open plain "password protected" pdfs and supports both RC4 and AES encryption.

Regards,

Rishi

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2012 8:06 PM   in reply to RishiOberoi99

I have the latest adobe reader and I tried to unlock my schools pdf for which I know the password but it does not work. It is a RC4 128 bit encrypted and it does not work on android. I don't get the option to type it in even so I am assuming this feature is actually not available for android. If you can actually unlock it please let me know because searching the internet there are several people with this problem and no solutions in sight. I have tried other apps, and even referenced to my schools "how to" manual on unlocking (which is for pc) and it says only adobe reader can unlock, so any other apps are pretty much out of the question, and I have tried several which all failed.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2012 2:19 PM   in reply to sonnyneu

Many universities use a different form of document protection than the Reader supports. For example, some use a company called "ProtectedPDF" which uses a proprietary form of encryption/protection that relies on features not present in the Mobile Reader.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2012 6:23 PM   in reply to Pat Wibbeler

My school actually states you have to use Adobe Reader to unlock, which works fine on pc but on a tablet it does not allow for entering user name and password. Unfortuanately on an android tablet the latest adobe reader does not allow me to enter text into the proper fields to unlock.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2012 6:32 PM   in reply to sonnyneu

The third party solutions rely on features in the Desktop / PC Reader (like JavaScript) that are not supported in the Mobile Reader. So, when your school says you must use Adobe Reader it means the desktop Reader and its full feature set. If you have a sample file and can share it, I can verify, but the problem you describe sounds exactly like one of these third-party protection solutions. Typically, they embed a login field in the document itself and use JavaScript to communicate with a server for verification. The solutions supported by the Mobile Reader either use password protection as documented in the PDF specification where the Reader does not need to validate with a server, or they use the Adobe LiveCycle Rights Management. I’d like to figure out how to support these third party solutions in the Adobe Reader Mobile product, but without help from the vendor, it will take some time and possibly reverse engineering which features of the Adobe Reader Desktop product they are using.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points