Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Draw Circle tool

Sep 14, 2010 9:36 AM

I am currently working myself deeper in the techniques of drawing and painting with Photoshop and while drawing I always encounter one problem: Drawing a circle. There are several workarounds for that:


* Select circle, Border1 and fill

* Make a circle as a form and place

* Make a circle as a brush and draw it

* Make a circle with a pass and fill path with brush


But all of these seem to me just like workarounds and hinder me in my workflow. My suggestion would be a more simple, more fluent way. Photoshop can draw lines vertical and horizontal to the screen, my suggestion is not very different. My proposition is:


* Hold a desired hotkey (like q or something) over the complete operation

* Click where the midpoint of the circle is supposed to be

* Click and hold again in the desired radius and draw your circle.


This would work like drawing a line, you just draw a circle. This would give the user full control over the brush with sensitivity. That would be first of all faster and more intuitive than all the listed ways of drawing a circle and as mentioned you wouldn't lose any control over your brushsensitivity and options, while you can just simulate pen pressure with path filling.


Thats it for now, any comments or amendments are welcome.


Simon Kopp


  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 14, 2010 9:53 AM   in reply to simkopp

    Simon: be sure to check out alt-shift (PC) or option-shift (Mac) and dragging while using the ellipse shape tool. Almost exactly what you're looking for.

    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 16, 2010 8:11 AM   in reply to simkopp

    Once again Simkopp, the feature that you are asking for already exists. Actually in two ways…


    • Just using a hard round brush, which can be easily resized holding down your Control (mac) and Alt key, will draw a circle of any size. Tool presets can be made up for brushes, and swapped in any way. Even with keyboard shortcuts.


    • While you are still using the brush tool you can hold down the U key. This will temporarily activate the Ellipse tool, if you set it that way. Choosing this option Picture 21.png makes a solid shape. If you want that shortcut changed (so you can also hold shift to constrain the circle) you can do so easily in Keyboard shortcuts.

    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 16, 2010 9:20 AM   in reply to simkopp

    If thats what you want, then Custom Shape tool or Layer Effects- Stroke. If you actually want a Photoshop to behave like a vector Application then you should get hold of one. 

    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 23, 2010 7:42 AM   in reply to simkopp

    Ok, and how do you envision drawing an ellipse, a rectangle, a rounded rectangle, or any other shape with the current brush?

    Using down more buttons?


    That's why you receive workarounds, because your FR is not "doable" without taking care of the myriad of sub-requests that you did not envision...

    Mark as:

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

  • 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points