Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign - Transparency Effects not displaying in PDFs

Sep 14, 2010 1:25 PM

I am experiencing a situation where I have a Frame with a stroke and a multiply effect which does not display in the PDF. If the multiply effect is removed, the object displays in the PDF. (I am using the PDF/X-4 preset to create the PDF.)

Any new paths created within the document exhibit the same results.

If I create a Frame or Path in a NEW document, apply the stroke and multiply effect, and then copy and paste it into my first document, the pasted items display in the PDF without difficulty.

If I copy the troublesome Frame from the original document and paste it into a new document, it exhibits the same results (it will not display in the PDF). I then create a new Frame in the new document, on the same layer, and with the same attributes. When a PDF is created the troblesome Frame will not display, but the new Frame right next to it will.

I have preflighted the resulting PDF, and both Frames are listed in the Form XObjects. I can also use the selection tool the the Acrobat Plug-In PitStop to select the Frame which is not displayed.

1. Am I missing a setting which is object specific and is carried with the copy paste?

2. What else could be the cause of this situation?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 15, 2010 1:38 AM   in reply to RAMSA-Graphics

From the reference to Pitstop it seems pretty likely that you are viewing in Acrobat, not Preview, but can you confirm that? Preview is known to fail at proper display of any sort of PDF complexity.

The troubleshooting you've done would seem to point to some sort of object-level corruption for the particular object, rather than some general failing. Just to be sure, though, check the attributes panel for any mistakenly applied overprint or non-printing attribute. I think you ultimately just need to replace this object in the layout (you can try an export to .inx or .idml -- you don't give us a version here which could be helpful -- but I doubt it will fix it).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2010 6:37 AM   in reply to RAMSA-Graphics

Are you viewing the PDF in an older version of Acrobat that requires turning on Overprint Preview?

You posted while I was responding and I see the answer

Message was edited by: Jeffrey_Smith

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2010 7:23 AM   in reply to Jeffrey_Smith

I was thinking about that myself, this morning.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2010 7:12 AM   in reply to RAMSA-Graphics

Did you try simply removing and recreating the few corrupt objects as I originally suggested?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2010 12:16 PM   in reply to RAMSA-Graphics

I've been looking at and palyihng with your files, and get the same results that you report. The files export fine, by the way if you switch to Acrobat 4 compatibility to flatten the transparency.

Looking at the previous post with the information about the clipping paths, I decided to take a look at the PDFs in Illustrator since I don't have PitStop. The problem is indeed clipping paths for the those shapes, and it appears that the path definitions are null -- they simply have no points at all -- though I have no idea why that should be.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2010 7:40 AM   in reply to RAMSA-Graphics

It might be worth submitting a bug report and offering the files for examination by the engineers.

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points