Skip navigation
KIRANDEVARA
Currently Being Moderated

How to create a table in Pagemaker?

Sep 22, 2010 11:22 PM

Hi all,

Can anybody guide me in creating tables in Adobe pagemaker. Is it possible to create table in free trial version, if so please guide me. Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 23, 2010 3:58 AM   in reply to KIRANDEVARA

Oh man! A long time since I used PM. However, from what I remember, you had to run and use a seperate provided prog called Adobe Table. I think it created tables in WMF (Windows MetaFile) and EPS formats for use in PM. That said, as many will agree, why bother with PM? It is no longer being upgraded or even updated to run well on anything past Win XP. Better to upgrade to InDesign ot mave over to something like PagePlus, both of which can run on Win Vista and 7 and will both create better publications including tables than PM.

Hope this helps.

Ian

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2010 5:45 AM   in reply to KIRANDEVARA

Adobe Table was crap even back in the day.

As Ian says, you're wasting your time with PM. Try the trial of InDesign.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2010 7:05 AM   in reply to KIRANDEVARA

I remember that I found it easier to make my tables by hand in PageMaker. And the results were more visually pleasing.  Not to mention the fact that, as the others have said, PageMaker is a dead program.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2010 8:47 AM   in reply to KIRANDEVARA

Please. It seems all replies to questions are to upgrade to Indesign. So, please, those who have used both programs to write graphics intensive books - not folders, not pamphlets, nothing under say 300 pages - will you tell us  from your hands on experiece which program will do the better job?

Thanks.

Carole

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2010 9:10 AM   in reply to Carole Caruso

InDesign will do a better job at anything than Pagemaker. End of story.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2010 3:05 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

A 300 page graphic intensive book in pagemaker? I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Indesign will work much better.

Jay

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2010 6:19 AM   in reply to Jay Chevako

Jay, are you implying that PageMaker cannot be used to put together a 300 page book? Tell me, please, just what is the page  limitation? I have been assembling the chapter files  into a book list. Is there a limit to the number of chapters that can be added to the book list? If there is a limit to the total number of pages and also a limit to the  number of files placed in the book list in PageMaker, than just what are the limits in InDesign? And just how do you come by this information?

Or are you just saying that InDesign is so much easier  than PageMaker? If this is the case, I would still like to hear from people who have used both for a graphics intensive book with their thoughts on comparing the two. I, for one, am quite content to maintain a computer that will take Pagemaker if it is better for the job than InDesign. Hey - I still use DOS 6.22 every day! However, I would replace it in an instant if I could find a program to do the same job as the DOS program I use daily.

Carole

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2010 6:24 AM   in reply to Carole Caruso

Knock yourself out. Nobody is telling you that you have to switch.

What we're telling you is that PM has no table creation tools and InDesign does. InDesign also has a host of other features that makes pagelayout a pleasure compared to the stone knives and bearskins that Pagemaker provides.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2010 11:26 AM   in reply to KIRANDEVARA

You can create tables in PM BUT it's so much easier and reliable in InDesign.

PM's Table Editor 3 is very poor, and requires all sorts of secondary manoeuvres to work even unreliably.

Simple tables can be made with tabs, with underscores for horizontal lines and the line tool for verticals - but it's clearly not satisfactory.

You can create a 300 page book/magazine with PM, BUT it's so much easier and reliable in InDesign.

The more text boxes and objects in PM, the higher the risk of corruption.  The best way with a very long publication is to split it into chapters of say 10 or 12 pages (or less), using a prepared templates for consistency of format and layout. 

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2010 8:33 AM   in reply to Carole Caruso

Carole, you are certainly free to continue using any program o

r OS that you like. We are only telling you that

the safest way of doing so is to keep an old

computer that can run the appropriate OS, and to hope

that it will last for as long as you may need it in the future. And we are also telling you that almost any modern program does a much better job than any of its extint predecesors, whatever the specific field.

As for large PageMaker files, I remember to have been warned many, many times, to try to keep my PM files not larger thar a couple of MB to diminish the risk of corruption. And it was through using PageMaker that I learned the importance of a safe backup scheme, including keeping successive versions to avoid ruining your (only) backup copy by overwriting it with a corrupted new version.

Incidentally, unless I am wrong, all the people who come to this forum for helping others are long time PageMaker users who moved to InDesign when they were convinced that it is a superior product. In my case, I only made the move after the initial bugs of version 2 were corrected. So you have been advised by persons who do know well both programs, and have used them intensively.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2010 10:51 AM   in reply to Claudio González

Most of us have long since moved on from pagemaker.

I think there was/is a page/book limit, but it was never really a factor. the main problem was the tendency of large pagemaker files to corrupt. Breaking them up into books was one of the work arounds. I don't do really long books, mostly magazines, programs and annual reports. so I have never bothered to use the book feature in Indesign, one file is easier.

The main reason to use indesign is ease of use. Graphics handling is much better with indesign. No need to create clipping paths in photoshop, the ability to create dropshadows, and use transparency within Indesign. Color mangagement that actually works.

Text handling is infinitally better. Character styles, nested styles, advanced search and replace, Grep searches, Span/split columns all make Indesign much easier to use for text.

A small monthly magazine I do (about 12 to 18 text pages)  that used to take a couple of days I can knock out in a morning.

As for tables, Adobe Table was the worst program to come out of Adobe. I was driven to use Quark for annual reports, before Indesign came along.

Jay

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2010 11:28 AM   in reply to Jay Chevako

IIRC Adobe out-sourced AT3, which was very poor.  Table Editor 2.5 was fine, and easy use, though very much Pagemaker specific.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2011 10:28 PM   in reply to KIRANDEVARA

I found that creating the table in MS Excel 2007 worked quite well. Import into PageMaker 7 is a simple as copy and paste.

There are several types of copy functions in Excel; copy link as text, copy as numbers and copy as picture. Highlight the finished table and ‘copy as picture’, paste into PageMaker 7. Sometimes the fringe edges of the border won’t copy properly but by creating a picture frame boarder all around your table with a row height of 5 and column width of 0.5.

How nice to find a simple solution for a product deemed past it's prime and ready for the grave yard.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2011 3:40 AM   in reply to ddBishRX

The best solution, and answers to all questions about PM, is to move to InDesign.

However, the old FAQs are here: http://www.bigjohnd.org.uk/PM_FAQs/PM_FAQs.zip

Section 4 is about Tables.

Use the Bookmarks to navigate; links in the text may not work as the original pages are obsolete.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2011 4:54 AM   in reply to ddBishRX

Just wait until it blows up in your face just like it did to many others.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2011 5:04 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

BobLevine wrote:

Just wait until it blows up in your face just like it did to many others.

As it says right at the beginning of the FAQs:

Do not copy/paste or use Paste Special/Insert Object to bring tables from other applications into PageMaker. This is the cause of your problems with your tables.

And that's dated 2002.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points