Skip navigation
eplt@aol.com
Currently Being Moderated

Password protect lightroom catalog

Sep 23, 2010 2:22 AM

Would be very useful if on opening lightroom, a list of catalogs appeared and had the option of having to enter a password to gain access to a catolog. For those of us who keep lightroom and the catalog on a shared computer it is currently a bit of a problem.

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2011 4:28 PM   in reply to eplt@aol.com

I have a possible solution to Mac users.. If someone can figure out a PC equivalent and post it here I'm sure people would appreciate it!

To contain the .lrcat catalog file, create a password protected disk image (.dmg, mac only file) in Disk Utility.

Before you open Lightroom, open your .dmg and select your .lrcat file to load. Lightroom 3 also remembers this file path so you can use the 'recently opened' features, but the catalog will not appear unless the disk image is mounted.

To speed up the simple process even more, use a hotkey to launch your .dmg file.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2011 6:18 PM   in reply to eplt@aol.com

I'm thinking about a more general solution: persistent smart collections to serve as global pre-filters, with option for password protection. This would allow one to implement discretionary viewing of all sorts, and do other things... If you really didn't want any photos to be viewable without permission, then just define a password protected smart collection that is all-exclusive, and lock it in...

See for more info and to vote:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/locking_smart_co llections_to_support_global_pre_filter_and_privacy-13fd4a

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points