Skip navigation
HyenaVi
Currently Being Moderated

Could not complete Save command because there is not enough memory (RAM).

Sep 23, 2010 3:32 AM

So yeah. Recently I keep facing this problem when I am using my PSCS5. It happens randomly, be it on single-layered work or multi-layered ones.

I can't do anything because when this happens... yeah, I lose my work for sure - I can close every program except PS but it is still like this. In fact it just happened again, which prompted me to put this up.

I took a screenshot although I think it is not needed. Basically this error occurs. And it doesn't... tell me what to do.

The thing is, I am on Win7, 3GB usable. Based on my task manager I have only used 1.91GB of memory - there's a whole 1 GB more unused, yet I get this error. CPU usage is at a sweet 1~5%.

So... any advice on what I am supposed to do? >< Thanks all.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 23, 2010 4:15 AM   in reply to HyenaVi

Try lowering the memory allocation to the ideal range in Edit > Preferences > Performance.

Also, what scratch disk allocation do you have in there?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2010 5:09 AM   in reply to HyenaVi

HyenaVi wrote:

Lowering...? Okay... that's kinda unexpected though, is there a reason?

If too much is allocated to Photoshop, it can starve vital processes (even PS-related ones) which need their own chunk of RAM.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 23, 2010 6:58 AM   in reply to HyenaVi

John's suggestion is on the right track, but I wouldn't go so far as to say to lower the setting first.  Try CHANGING the setting - up at first, then down if that doesn't work.

What size file are you working on (i.e., pixel count, number of layers, how big is the .psd after a successful save)?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2010 7:24 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I'm just guessing he's worked on the principle that more is better, which is the commonest mistake we oldtimers see around here.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2010 8:33 AM   in reply to HyenaVi

HyenaVi wrote:

Uhm, about the misconception thingie... not really. I mean, I only thought that I had sufficient RAM which was why I increased the usage to 75%, because on a regular basis, only MSN, iTunes and PS would be on. However... yeah. xD

That IS the misconception. Do a bit of reading on PS memory management and you'll see what I mean.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 23, 2010 8:37 AM   in reply to HyenaVi

Though most of my experience is with Photoshop on my 64 bit system, I do do some testing on Windows 7 32 bit, and frankly I'm not finding problems with cranking the Photoshop RAM use even all the way up.  I do this sometimes because my own plug-ins use malloc() and free(), not Photoshop's buffer suite, in some places and I need to see how they behave when Photoshop's got all the RAM for itself.

Thing is, Photoshop really CAN'T grab all the RAM for itself on a 3 GB 32 bit system...  It can only glom on to up to only 2 GB in the normal case, so I really, really doubt that having your RAM setting up to (only) 75% is a problem.

Common lore about how to manage Photoshop's memory use is somewhat based on past experience with different operating systems, and that's simply been changed some with the modern Windows systems.

But I hope that the change does help you.  Maybe just that it's different will be helpful, in that it will move things around.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2010 8:43 AM   in reply to HyenaVi

Heres a general article on performance which might give some alternative clues.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e 41001031ab64-748aa.html

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 23, 2010 8:54 AM   in reply to John Joslin

To further my point, you'll notice that particular link has virtually NOTHING in the way of advice on what to set the Memory Usage to, other than a mention of the "ideal range", which seems to top out arbitrarily at 71% on each and every system.

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Allocate RAM to Photoshop

Photoshop displays the RAM available to Photoshop and the ideal range of RAM for Photoshop (a percentage of the total available RAM) in Performance preferences.

In the Performance preferences, enter the amount of RAM you want to allocate to Photoshop in the Let Photoshop Use text box. Alternatively, drag the slider.

To me this is tantamount to saying "screw with the setting until it works best for you".

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points