Hi All

My system profile is:

Windows 7 (64 bit)

Sony  Series laptop

Intel core I5 540M

Internet Explorer 8

All Windows and IE updates done to date

HP Desk-jet All-in-one software

I have installed and uninstalled and re-installed Adobe Flash player several times and still i get recurring requests to download Flash Player when a website needs to download and play video. I have reviewed several forum discussions on the subject and done the following: deleted the download manager files. uninstalled flash player and closed down as many running programs linked to flash player as I can, and reinstalled etc.. I can see Flash Player as an installed program under Programs and Features in Control Panel, but i cannot find Shockwave flash in my add-ons to enable it in my Internet options.

I also found two folders under my Windows\downloaded programs named "Conflict.1" and "Conflict.2", each one containing a copy of Adobe Flash Player installer folder downloaded, so in all I have 3 copies of the downloaded installer folder. I have a feeling I need to delete/uninstall at least two of them. but I don't want to continue without advice so I don't get stuck in another cycle of install and re-installs, as part of my flash player installation I have to reinstall the whole HP set of software etc.

I also use Uniblue Rgistry booster and i do regular daily regsitry reviews, could that have soenthing to do with having "erased" my Shockwave settings or having disappeared, thye were there when I re-installed Flash PLayer the last time.

Could anyone show me what i'm doing worng and what to do next to get Flash Player installed and working correctly. I saw on some other discussions forums people saying that Windows 7 and Flash PLayer are not compatible, but I cannot believe either Adobe or Microsoft would leave this problem unresolved for so long.

Thanks !!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 24, 2010 5:10 PM   in reply to araman11

Hi, If you don't have the Shockwave Flash Object Installed and Enabled in Run without Permissions or All add ons under "Show" then that would be a problem. Look in Tools, Manage Add ons, Toolbars & Extensions. About mid way down you'll see Show(light text) Look in those 4 categories for it.

You need to use the Administrator Account to Install Flash Player. HP has some type of Scan, Preventive Scan? I heard that can interfere.

Do you have any Anti-Virus that would block the ActiveX Control? In Tools, Internet Options, under Security you need it set to Medium for the Internet Zone.

Win7 and Flash Player are most certainly compatible. Can't believe everything you read:-)

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2010 8:35 PM   in reply to araman11

Hi, thanks for the add'l info. Glad you found the Shockwave Flash Object and that it is enabled. I'm not sure why you are receiving the notices to Install Flash Player. We need to see what has been Installed.

Go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash  Open Flash and post back all files listed there, with version numbers.

If you have the correct Flash Player files Installed then for some reason the websites are not detecting the Shockwave Flash Object in the browser.

That HP Preventive Scan may be conflicting. We'll see about that once you post back your Flash files. The Zone Alarm very well may be conflicting with the Preventive Scan, especially if the Scan runs in the background.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2010 8:54 AM   in reply to araman11

Hi, I think you are correct in assuming it was doing everything in the proper order. It appears there were several things in play. Having a clean Uninstall is most important and by clean I mean all previous Flash files are removed before trying to Install. Also the way your HP is configured seems to be important also. I use a Dell and don't need to do that and can't address that, although I'm aware of it from other users.

Yes, you can always post to your thread anytime you want or need to. I'd keep an eye on that Preventive Scan also, especially relating to Zone Alarm.

Oh, yes "Blondie", LOL

Thanks for the feedback, glad it's working now.

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points