Skip navigation
NiMexicatl5
Currently Being Moderated

Problem with "Basic" Brush Preset

Sep 29, 2010 6:03 PM

I have a problem witht he Brush Tool that I can't seem to resolve using Adobe Illustrator CS5

I cannot use the "Basic" preset for the Brush Tool. When selecting "Basic" in the Brush Tool Panel and then attempting to use the Brush Tool it automatically switches from "Basic" to whatever setting I last used. E.G. If I  try to switch from a Bristle Brush to the "Basic" setting it shows as being "Basic" until I use the Paint Brush where it then switches to Bristle Brush.

I can change the path to "Basic" after that point but it is cumbersome and time consuming to have to change it every time. Can anyone help with this? I've attatched images of the issue below:

ai1.jpg

ai2.jpg

ai3.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 29, 2010 6:27 PM   in reply to NiMexicatl5

Appearance Panel Menu. Make certain "New Art Has Basic Appearance" is selected.

Does the problem still exist?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2010 7:20 PM   in reply to NiMexicatl5

Okay I think it's merely a matter of understanding what the "Basic" brush is for.

The "Basic" setting is not a brush. It's essentially the same as the Brush Panel menu item "Remove Brush Stroke". Therefore you can't paint with the "Basic" brush. But if you select a path with a brush stroke applied to it, then choose "Basic" from either the Control Bar or the Brushes Panel, the current applied brush stroke will be removed.

Essentially, if you are using the Brush Tool Illustrator, rightfully, assumes you want to add a brush stroke. Since "Basic" contains no brush stroke, the tool reverts to the last used Brush.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2010 9:01 PM   in reply to NiMexicatl5

Correct. Clicking "Basic" removes all brush strokes leaving a stroked path that could easily be created with the Pencil Tool.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points