Skip navigation
CyJobes
Currently Being Moderated

Opening in code view in CS5

Sep 30, 2010 6:10 AM

A while back I posted a discussion seeking information about having PHP files open in code view instead of design view. (CS4).

I found out that I was able to tell PHP files to open in code view, but for some reason the creators of DW saw it fit to fix it so that if you force files to open in code view, then you could not switch to design view by any means.

As a PHP coder I rearely go into design or split/design view, but I do have an occaisional need to do so.

My question is, has this been fixed in CS5? In other words, can I have my PHP files set to ALWAYS open in code view, but still have the option to simply click on the design/split button and go into design mode?

Thanks,

Cy

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 30, 2010 8:21 AM   in reply to CyJobes

Hi Cy,

You had me curious ... so I had to test it.

Happy to report that if you have DW in Coder or Coder Plus layouts, the files do indeed open up in code view and very nicely switch back and forth between all view modes.

Brad Lawryk

Adobe Community Professional: Dreamweaver

Northern British Columbia Adobe Usergroup: Manager

Thompson Rivers University: Dreamweaver Instructor

My Adobe Blog: http://blog.lawryk.com

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2010 9:26 AM   in reply to CyJobes

Code view and code hinting as greatly improved in CS5. If you do the majority of your work in code view ... you will love it.

Brad Lawryk

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2010 7:21 AM   in reply to CyJobes

If you select 'Coder' view from the layout options it will always open in code view. Just change the View won't do anything - you have to change the layout options.

layoutchanger.jpg

Brad Lawryk

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2010 8:01 AM   in reply to CyJobes

CyJobes wrote:

DW devs, please take note: Just because we want to force open a file in CODE view doesn't mean we don't want to switch to design view at some point for that same file. Forcing us to open files in design is like telling us you know better, and believe me, you don't.

This is a user-to-user forum, so the Dreamweaver engineering team is highly unlikely to see your request. File it through the official form at http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform. That way, it will get directly to the people who need to see it.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2010 9:12 AM   in reply to CyJobes

This has been bugging me for a long time too... I kept thinking that this setting would be in preferences -- wouldn't it make sense to tell a particular file type to open in the correct view independent of the workspace chosen?

Anyhow, I followed the suggestions made in this thread and selected the coder workspace.  I then created one based on that, gave it a unique name, and customized it to then have all the features I like to see when I'm working...

My experience has proven to be different than yours, in that now files open in code view yet my toggles for Split and Design views still work.  Perhaps what you're experiencing is a bug?

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 6:46 AM   in reply to CyJobes

I have CS5 installed, and my DW (from starting) will always open files in Design View, even though I have it set for "Coder Plus" layout.  My switches for Code/Split/Design work fine, but the fact that every time I start DW, the first file I open will ALWAYS open in Design View.  When I switch to Code View, all subsequent files open in Code View unless and until I close DW.  Next launch, all files open in Design View.

How do I fix this?  All suggestions, so far, are not working on my system.

Thanks,

^_^

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 8:29 AM   in reply to WolfShade

At the bottom of the layouts drop down there is a reset button. Make sure you have Coder Plus selected. Alternatively you can set up the layout as you like it and save that layout and call it something like 'My Layout' or whatever you like.

Screen Shot 2012-06-01 at 8.27.06 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 12:43 PM   in reply to Brad Lawryk

I have tried your suggestions, and DW will still open the very first file in Design View.  When I switch to Code View, all subsequent files open in Code View, unless and until I close DW.  Then upon the next starting of DW, the first file will open in Design View.  I've done the reset, I've created a custom view, the first file still opens in Design View.

Is there a way to DISABLE Design View?  Completely?

Thanks,

^_^

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2014 6:28 AM   in reply to WolfShade

Someone on another forum suggested that I edit DW preferences (EDIT > PREFERENCES) and click on the FILE TYPES tab; at the top there is a field for entering the types of files to open in CODE VIEW.  I added .cfm and .cfml to that and saved.

DESIGN VIEW IS NOW DISABLED WHEN I WORK ON .CFM FILES!!!  YIPPEEEEEEE!!!

UPDATE:  Like the OP, I've discovered that there are times that I would like to view a file in Design View - it's very rare, but it does happen.  But if I remove .cfm and .cfml from "Open in Code View", then I'm back to files always opening in Design View.

I've switched to "Coder Plus" view, customized the layout, and saved under another name.  Still opening .cfm files in Design View.  I know that this is a user-to-user forum, but can anyone please tell me why the dev team have made this such a difficult, PITA process?

^_^

Message was edited by: WolfShade

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points