Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

cs2/Windows 7x64 - User name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid?

Sep 30, 2010 12:52 PM

Ok, I'm at my wits end on this one.  I've installed and reinstalled this CS2 suite multiple times, tried to find the proper registry keys, pretty much anything i can think of to get this to work, but every time I go to boot up one of the programs in the suite (such as Photoshop) I get an error stating "Your Adobe Photoshop user name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid.  The application cannot continue and must now exit".  There is only an OK box, and absolutely no way for me to look at the licensing information to see what it's getting hung up on.

I've confirmed everything is correct upon installation.  I can't find an e-mail address for Adobe's customer support so I'm asking you guys - what the hell is going on with this software?  Anyone fix this before?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 30, 2010 1:06 PM   in reply to wcapehart

CS2 is totally unsupported under Windows 7 and Windows Vista and the fact that it's 64 bit adds to the complication. That said you can read through this. It mentions XP64 but the idea is the same:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/325/325739.html

You should also note that CS2 is the earliest version eligible for upgrade pricing. After this you're looking at paying full price.

Time to consider an upgrade because even if you get past this hiccup, you're going to be looking at all kinds potential problems with compatibility.

Good luck,

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2010 1:17 PM   in reply to wcapehart

There's no bug. CS2 was released well before the advent of Windows 7 and 64 bit operating systems. You're trying to squeeze a square peg into a round hole.

Are you sure the programs didn't get installed into the program files folder instead of the program files (x86) folder?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2010 1:24 PM   in reply to wcapehart

But did you install it as was required specifying the old 8.3 directory structure? If not, you didn't read the KB article.

If you did, I'm out of ideas. This why it's not supported.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2010 1:52 PM   in reply to wcapehart

Progra~2 is an 8.3 format.

You can't just stop supporting a product that's really not that old that many people still use just because you don't feel like it and want to sell more expensive versions that seem to come out almost every year now... "this is why it's not supported" isn't an acceptable excuse - that's just saying "but supporting our products is haaarrrrd" and trying to wipe your hands of it...

Let's get something straight here. I don't work for Adobe and I don't care one way or the other if you upgrade. But it is what it is. You are attempting to install an OLD program in a NEW operating system.

The complete and total lack of support on this product is really quite dumbfounding.  I've never seen something that wasn't freeware or shareware have such little support - especially for what is supposed to be professional high end software

And it works on the systems that it was designed to work on...Windows XP 32 bit and Windows 2000.

Even if my only solution is to buy the new version - why would I do that if Adobe simply drops their products entirely in favor of trying to make a new version for you to pay for as the only technical support offered?  This isn't very encouraging.

It is what it is. As I said, this is your last chance to get upgrade pricing. You can save a few extra bucks at Amazon: http://amzn.to/cE0Gbe

I'm sorry, but I have nothing else to offer you.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2010 2:09 PM   in reply to wcapehart

Have it your way but the advice stands. Roll back to XP32 or upgrade to CS5.

This is why MS has an upgrade advisor for Win 7. You'll like find the advice to not run CS2 on Win 7.

And please...5 years in computer terms is an eternity. CS2 is simply not designed to run on any current operating system be it Mac or Windows.

You're three versions out of date and a new version is released every 18 months just like clockwork. We're already 5 months into this cycle.

Sorry, but I have absolutely nothing else to offer you.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2010 5:36 AM   in reply to wcapehart

Like I said, I'm sorry, but I've given you the best advice I have.

There's nothing shady about it. It's not like it's a secret that the upgrades are coming. Upgrading Design Premium cost $599 every 18 months. That's less than the cost of a cup of coffee every day, hardly what I'd call expensive.

Nobody's got a gun to your head to spend it, either. But software is designed to be run on a platform that it can be tested on and for CS2 that was XP and Win 2K. FWIW, CS3, CS4 and CS5 all run nicely on Win 7 64 bit. And again, I will remind you that this is your last chance to get upgrade pricing.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2011 10:30 AM   in reply to wcapehart

During installation put c:\progra~2\adobe instead of c:\program files\adobe. This worked for me for both Vista and Windows 7. Hope it helps you!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 10:17 AM   in reply to LadyAtarah

I know this is a really old thread, but I recently had this issue. 

I installed CS2 on win7x64 into a different location than the normal, specifically the "Program Files" folder, not the "Program Files(x86)" folder and I received this error.

I reinstalled it this way a couple times to no avail.  I found the fix above to work for me, using the downloaded CS2 suite.  NO other fix would work for me, aside from installing photoshop as a standalone, not the CS2 version.

FIX: on the install location, put in:  c:\progra~2\adobe

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points