Skip navigation
Otter40
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign (not responding)

Oct 1, 2010 8:19 AM

I am on an Apple computer and from time to time while working in InDesign I get the spinning beach ball. I go to the Apple menu and select "Force Quit" and it brings up a window that shows "InDesign (not responding)". I am not using any third party InDesign Plug-Ins other than Suitcase Fusion 2 Font Activation. I can let it sit for a while or even go to lunch and come back and the spinning beach ball is still there and InDesign is not responding. It doesn't matter how long I let it sit, my only option is to Force Quit the application and then restart the application. What is causing this and how can I fix it? It is an annoying having to do this at least once a day.

I am on Mac OS X 10.6.4.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 1, 2010 8:22 AM   in reply to Otter40

Try deactivating Suitcase...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2010 8:25 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Or upgrading to version 3.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2010 4:51 AM   in reply to Otter40

If you only have this problem once a day then you must be lucky. I randomly get the spinning ball three or four times a hour and there is no rhyme or reason to it happening. Sometimes it's when I open a file, sometimes it's when I close a file. It happens when I place artwork or edit type.

So far I've been told by Adobe that it must be a Mac problem (I'm running OSX 10.6.4 with 4 GB ram). But I didn't have the problem with CS4 and I can still run CS4 without a problem.

I've been told by Adobe that it's a type problem. The typefaces I use work just fine in CS4.

I've trashed preferences and that seems to help for a while but it keeps coming back.

I'm still waiting for an answer from Adobe also.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2010 6:48 PM   in reply to Otter40

I am having same problem. I have not yet been able to open a new document in indesign. I have gotten no support from calling, or chatting with live tech support. One guy said he could fix it for 40 dollars. I have reinstalled 3 times. I have tried CS5 as well. still spinning rainbow ball. Mac OS X v10.5.8, 4GB. Photoshop and illustrator work just fine from the same CS.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2010 7:17 PM   in reply to Laurie Cullum

Try following these steps::

Try to clear the SING Datastore folder.

Quit InDesign (force quit, if necessary) and then Move the

following folder to the desktop::

Mac OS: Re: InDesign (not responding)/Library/Applications

Support/Adobe/SING/Mark II/Datastore

Try launching Indesign..

If still Its freezing then try we would also require to remove the

SING component from the location

Mac OS: Re: InDesign (not responding)/Library/Applications Support/Adobe/SING/Mark II

Hope that would resolve your issue

Cheers

Rupam

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2010 7:18 PM   in reply to Laurie Cullum

Try following these steps::

Try to clear the SING Datastore folder.

Quit InDesign (force quit, if necessary) and then Move the

following folder to the desktop::

Mac OS: Re: InDesign (not responding)/Library/Application Support/Adobe/SING/Mark

II/Datastore

Try launching Indesign..

If still Its freezing then try we would also require to remove the

SING component from the location

Mac OS: Re: InDesign (not responding)/Library/Application Support/Adobe/SING/Mark II

Hope that would resolve your issue

Cheers

Rupam

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2010 8:12 PM   in reply to JGCreate2010

I have found that CS5 does have an issue with some TrueType fonts while CS4 didn't seem to have the problem. But I doubt that is contributing to the problem.

I have removed the SING component from the plug-in folder and that has resulted in fewer hangs (spinning beachball). Instead of two or three an hour randomly through the day I have gone two or three days without a hang and then maybe will have one or two and then Indesign runs fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2010 8:16 PM   in reply to Laurie Cullum

Laurie,

You may need to upgrade to 10.6.4. I talked to a tech guy I trust and he said that the Creative Suite seems to work better in the latest version of OSX 10.6.4.

Other than that follow the steps listed for removing the SING plug-in component. There is also a SING datastore file in the system library that should be removed.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2010 8:39 PM   in reply to Otter40

Thank you for your responses...I have placed the Mark II folder on my desktop, from Library/Application support/adobe/SING/Mark II. I then restarted the computer. Same hang up. At the same stage in the game. After ID asks me what size document I would like to create. It creates one, then freezes...:(. I will try to 10.6.4....

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2010 8:56 PM   in reply to Otter40

Oh my gosh! it worked. I had moved the wrong sing folder but now it works! thank you thank you! what is SING any way?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2010 5:38 AM   in reply to Otter40

I have found another cause for "hangs" in Indesign CS5. After removing the SING components, I found that the frequency of hangs greatly decreased except for files I had using the Times font. Files I had which didn't contain the Times font did not give me a problem. Files which had the Times font would still hang and when I reopened them, Indesign would tell me that I was missing the font. I could close the file without saving and reopen and the Times font would be there. Then ID would hang.

Since I work with a lot of template files, I went and changed all the Times fonts to Cambria. I haven't had a hang since then.

Don't know why there's a conflict other than maybe the copy of Times I have been using for the last 4 years has suddenly became corrupt or else it's an issue between the version of Times I have and CS5. It still works fine on the desktop I have running IDCS4.

Curious.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points