• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

$50 BOUNTY for a working close/exit button in Explorer 8

Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2010 Oct 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will pay $50 to the first person that shows me a way using Javascript or the like, to make a working close button, that closes the current Captivate window in Explorer 8.

"Problematic at best" is not a solution.

I've searched and cannot find a working solution, but one has to exist since Lectora can and does do it in Explorer 8.

I have code that works in Explorer 6 and 7 but it does not work in 8.

--      window.opener='X'; window.open('','_parent',''); window.close();

So, if you have a TRUE working way to make a button in a Captive project, close a Explorer 8 browser window then I have $50 for the person with the first working solution. If they do not object, I will share the solution with the rest of the community.

Thanks, rt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use an HTML file called close.html with this in it:

<html>
<head>
<script language="JavaScript">
<!--
    window.close();
</script>
</head>
<body>
</body>
</html>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to close the parent window from the popup?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to see a working example.

I tried making a call to an external html file, but was not able to get it to work trying every variation of window.close() I could throw at it.

It's for a closed LMS system that opens a Captivate SCORM package. The existing design--NOT MINE--has to match the existing functionality which has a close button that closes the window of the popped open Captivate document in a browser. It only functions in Explorer but it HAS to function the same in Explorer 8.

Their existing courses were done in Lectora and the close button works fine--but I cannot seem to find how Lectora does it. Either some fancy .net stuff or Java or I don't know. Hence the bounty.

With proper design, you'd use the browser's real close button, BUT again, it is not m design. It has to function similar to existing design which has the close button DESIGNed into it.

I spent nearly a week this summer trying to find, or make a solution under a heavy deadline. I was not able to solve it, but they need it for the project to be done and signed off on.

So I am willing to pay for a working solution that I would like to share.

I wish Captivate had the resources Photoshop has throw at it, but it is not as popular.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Okay, so try this.

Click the link below and try the buttons.

Click here to view

And now try this link

Click here to view

What you should see is that the first link doesn't cleanly close the window or the tab without a prompt. But the second link closes without issue.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Begin learning Captivate 5 moments from now! $29.95

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcererStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 06, 2010 Oct 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And suddenly silence fell, like a heavy wet blanket...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately for testing I do not have immediate access to Explorer 8.
The first posted, working solution gets the bounty.
Can't be a doctor without patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2010 Oct 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Testing right now and looking very promising.

Thanks for the effort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, we have a winner.

After I send you the $50, do you mind that I share the solution?

Tell me your paypal account address and I'll forward you the $50. Then I need the working code to get this into my project.

Thanks for nailing this one down for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'm quite happy to accept anything you will throw my way, but it's really not necessary. My goal was just to illustrate the issue. But if you insist, I log into PayPal using my email address of rstone75 (at) kc.rr.com. (@ symbol replaced with (at) to obfuscate and avoid SPAM)

You are more than welcome to share any code. Especially if it will help another developer out.

The example depicts two methods of operating. One method configures the Captivate project to close as it completes. I've outlined how to accomplish that on many occasions. You essentially click Edit > Preferences > Project > Start and End and configure the Project End Options to Close project. Then if you want a button to close the project, you configure the button to jump to the last slide. You configure the last slide to be super short. Perhaps .1 seconds. Note that I also demonstrated two different ways of opening the window presenting the Captivate movie with the buttons. One way simply opened the Captivate. So if you already had an instance of IE running or if it just opened Captivate in a fresh instance of IE, you were prompted first with a message that the window was about to be closed. The other link opened the Captivate created HTML page allowing you to view the Captivate as a Full Screen presentation. In this case, the HTML page scripted a child window. Because the Captivate presentation was presented within a Child window, it closed without issue and without notification mentioned earlier. And therein is the trick I believe. I believe things like Articulate and whatever else presents Captivate where the window always closes without issue are presenting that Captivate in a child window.

The JavaScript solution involves configuring the Button as follows:

You assign the action to be "Execute Javascript". Then you click the Ellipsis button (Captivate 4 and earlier and it looks like ...) or you click the "Script Window" button (Captivate 5) and you insert the following code into the window:

javascript:window.opener='x';window.close();

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Begin learning Captivate 5 moments from now! $29.95

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcererStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it has been a long road. I was using something similar to what you had.

Rick, you get the full bounty since you helped the most and have helped many here in the past including me.

But the finale code I got to work that works in IE6, IE7, and IE8 was:

window.opener='x';

window.open('','_parent','');

window.close();

Which I then embedded in a widget so I didn't have to add the code manually to all nine modules in our project.

Here's my working sample:

http://rtideas.com/closeit3/

Thanks for helping me put this problem to bed.

rt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 03, 2010 Dec 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Somehow I feel like I can't see the forest for the trees on this one. I am currently using Captivate 5 with Windows XP and IE version 8 and have created a presentation that outputs to Flash 10. I have set the Action on the Start and End preferences to Close project. I created a button on the last presentation page that goes to the next page which is blank and only lasts .2 seconds. I can preview it all day long and it works fine. However, it does not want work once it gets published. I then copied your javascript code and placed in in the script window of the button on the last presentation page. Once I get to the end of the presentation and click the button, nothing. Is there something else I am overlooking? Thanks.

Darin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 06, 2010 Dec 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One possible issue could be an issue with our network settings. It might be that close window does not work until it is actually placed online. This could be why it works in preview, but not on the network drive. Don't know. Just fishing for answers.

Darin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2011 Jun 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

I was looking for a solution when I came across this - but still no luck.

I have tried both solutions - i.e adding the screen at 0.1 sec wiht a close button on previous screen set to 'jump to screen' on success and altering the preferences. ALso added the javacript you suggest in the script window - javascript:window.opener='x';window.close

I build into Cp 5 I open in a safari browser but neither will allow me to close.

Perhaps I misunderstood the window issue - how do you ensure it opens in a child window? Can you help?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using CAP5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 04, 2010 Nov 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be nice if the playbar Exit button could be configured to execute javascript or execute the javascript specifed in the Project End Options.

It seems logical to me that clicking the Exit button would trigger the Project End Options.

I started down the wornmhole of editing the Flash file for the playbar but I'll have to take that up when I have more time; my Flash chops are minimal.

In my case, the playbar exit button does not close the window in our LMS but a button with javascript does. It is sometimes just the "right" javascript that gets the job done and clearly the default behavior of the playbar Exit button does not cut it in the LMS.

Even if I could prgram the Exit button to advance to the end slide, I could trigger the Proejct End javascript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources