Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Turning OFF Audio Playback during capture?

Oct 5, 2010 2:33 PM

When capturing a tape from my video camera in Premiere Pro, How do I turn off the audio playback while recording?

I want to record the audio and the video, but I don't want to hear the tape's audio playing back through my computer speakers while recording. The technician I spoke to over the phone was extremely unhelpful and suggested I simply mute my computer speakers if I don't want to hear it. What if I want to listen to music or am trying to watch another video file in a different program without having to hear the premiere pro audio blaring over it. Please someone tell me the rude technician I spoke to did not understand clearly what I was asking and if anyone knows how to accomplish this or can shed anymore light on the topic.

I just spent 40 minutes on the phone with an adobe tech support rep who took 40 minutes to correctly understand the issue I was calling for and then informed me that the functionality does not exist within the premiere pro software. Sorry if this comes off as a little edgy, but my tech "support" call was extremely frustrating and now to find that premiere pro wont let you listen to anything in any other program while recording seems a little rediculous.

Thanks,

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 5, 2010 2:46 PM   in reply to Sudden Nico

Don't you have a radio to listen to?

It is recommended to not use other applications while capturing.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2010 3:20 PM   in reply to Sudden Nico

Lucky for you. Since the MAC is lousy in multi-threading, this 'limitation' will protect you from dropped frames during capture.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2010 10:07 AM   in reply to Sudden Nico

It is risky to run other applications while capturing footage.  May lead to dropped frames.  I have found that Premiere is a resource hog and more likely to have this problem than other capture programs.  Not that Premiere is a bad program for capture, but you might find an alternative that provides a better solution for your specific need.

It has been a few years since using Scenalyzer, but I always found that program to be extremely reliable and flexible.  And it has the capability of silencing the audio during capture.  Since you didn't say what format you are capturing I can't say whether Scenalyzer will work for you.  Check it out.

I don't think Harm was being condesending at all.  He is simply warning you about the potential problems your system may face by attempting to multi-task in the manner you describe.  It's up to you to decide if you want to follow the advice you seek here.

Good luck

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2010 11:39 AM   in reply to Sudden Nico
    the functionality does not exist within the premiere pro software

It used to.  I myself prefer not to hear the audio while capturing is in progress.  There were check boxes to turn this off, which I had done.  But I can't seem to find those settings any more.  I wonder if they disappeared in CS4.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2010 11:49 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

I'm not in front of my editing machine right now so I can't look, but I seem to recall that in the audio preferences there was a check box to mute during recording.  I don't remember now whether that impacts audio during capture or if there is another setting in there for that.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2010 3:32 PM   in reply to jimclark1947

I recall it as well, but I just checked and I do not find the button in CS3 either.

There is a specific setting to mute audio when recording in the timeline, but that is not what is being asked.

I use Scenalyzer for all capture I do.  Will PR capture in the background?  I didn't think it would.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2010 5:45 PM   in reply to Sudden Nico

------------

What if I want to listen to music or am trying to watch another video  file in a different program without having to hear the premiere pro  audio blaring over it. Please someone tell me the rude technician I  spoke to did not understand clearly what I was asking and if anyone  knows how to accomplish this or can shed anymore light on the topic.

--------------

is fact of life that some programs ( like premiere while capturing ) needs all your computers resources and is not used for other stuff while that program is running...  there are other programs besides premiere while capturing that should ONLY be run by itself, and no other programs run at the same time...  Just takes time to figure out which programs are like that...

For example, I don't run any programs when I defragment my hard drive.  Premiere is sorta like that...depending on the operation being done...but when exporting or capturing I would NOT run any other programs....

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2010 8:04 PM   in reply to Sudden Nico

At work on a Mac I have not found a way to go around this.

It's really quite annoying not having a way to turn it off.

And sorry, but it's total BS to try justifying the lack of this option by saying it should not be done to avoid dropped frames.

Capturing DV footage on a MacPro with 7Gigs of Memory and few CPU's should not be an issue.

At home on a Windows machine I can just mute Premiere Pro application as Volume Control can be controlled for each individual application.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2010 4:47 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Me too.

I wanted to delete a reference to Mr. "lousy on a Mac."

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2010 5:06 AM   in reply to Nimajus

Does this help?

CaptureAudio.jpg

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 11:26 PM   in reply to Sudden Nico

None of the Adobe Premiere Pro version has the option to turn off the playback audio while capturing. Now you can do that if you have windows 7 or windows 8.

Go to taskbar speaker icon click and choose Mixer there should be Adobe Premiere application on Mixer just click on speaker to turn the playback audio to mute. That does not effect on video and audio capture.  Now you can listen music and watch movies in second monitor.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 8:28 AM   in reply to aaftabpk

None of the Adobe Premiere Pro version has the option to turn off the playback audio while capturing.

Umm...they've all had that option, right where Jeff showed us in post 12.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 2:12 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Our CS 5.03 has settings options to mute during preview or caspture, whilst our CS 6.02 does not. This is on a Windows 7 machine, so we could mute preiere at any time through the audio mixer.

The CS 6 system did not actually have a DV device hooked up when I looked at the capture settings, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Does Mac let you adjust volume of apps independently? And in my experience, I agree that Mac is not good at multitasking.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 2:38 PM   in reply to wfmc staffer

I think the OP needs to recognize that the capture occurs largely asynchonously, that is once you start the capture, the source device expects the computer to receive and process the data being sent.  there is no handshaking between devices.  If the processor is off doing something else, the source device doesn't wait for the computer to be ready, it sends the data anyway.  This causes dropped frames. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 6:30 PM   in reply to wfmc staffer
    The CS 6 system did not actually have a DV device hooked up when I looked at the capture settings, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

It does.  Hook one up and the option will be there.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 10:35 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Yes it does but it will stop capture if you try to enable and disable audio preview. This is very bad, sometime we want to listen audio in specific clips while whole tape in on capture. P Pro stops capture if you want to toggle for enabling or disabling audio preview. And P pro even does not have volume control. There should be a volume controle and mute button both on Capture Window and Program Window. I have once used Newtek Speededit2. It has Volume, Brightness and Contrast in Program monitor. But that does not effects final result

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 9:43 AM   in reply to aaftabpk

it will stop capture if you try to enable and disable audio preview.

You set that before you start capture.  If you want to ride volume, you can adjust the speakers.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2013 11:40 PM   in reply to Sudden Nico

I agree!  This lack of functionality drives me crazy.  I'm not worried about dropped frames with my Mac Pro dual 2.8 GHz quad core processor and 28GB of ram and video card NVIDIA Quadro 4000 (2GB).

I just did a google search and found a program called SoundBunny.  I bought it for $9.99 and it works great.  It gives you the function to individually turn volumes down for each app - just like windows does.

I import videos that are 45 minutes in length, theres a lot I can be doing in that time that requires other audio - so I'm excited to have found this program.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2013 10:45 AM   in reply to Sudden Nico

You can also install the free Soundflower app, which shows up as a virtual audio output device.  Set Premiere's output device to that, then set Soundflower's output to your real sound card, then use it to mute Premiere whenever you like.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points