Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PDF tab missing in Windows Explorer

Oct 6, 2010 5:20 PM

We have a number of Windows 7 and Vista machines running Acrobat 9 Standard or Professional.  When viewing the file properties of any PDF in Windows Explorer on any of these machines except one, there's a "PDF" tab that displays metadata information on the file.  On one Win7 Ultimate PC running Acrobat 9.4 Professional, that tab doesn't display.  The metadata can be seein in Acrobat File -> Properties, and can be searched in Windows Explorer, but cannot be accessed using that tab.  As far as I know, there's no customization in either Acrobat or Windows that would cause this tab not to display - I've compared every setting I can think of between machines that show the PDF tab and the one that doesn't.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 6, 2010 6:59 PM   in reply to DaveNickason

I'm grasping at straws here. Is there a difference in how the disks are formatted. That might make a difference.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2010 9:59 AM   in reply to DaveNickason

Dave,

Any progress on this? I'm in the same boat. We are running both x86 and x64 versions of Acrobat on Win7. I am on Win7 pro, x64 running Acrobat 9.4 Standard. No PDF tab for myself, but my associate running exact same version but x86 has the tab. Im stumped.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2012 1:40 PM   in reply to DaveNickason

I'm in the same situation: Windows 7 64 sp1 uptated and Adobe Acrobat X 10.1.1 and I've got no PDF tab in Windows Explorer whatI click on the properties of a file

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2012 8:35 AM   in reply to PerseP

You right click on the PDF file and select properties. That display should show the PDF tab with the basic meta data.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2012 11:24 AM   in reply to Bill@VT

This is what I get:

http://i.imgur.com/EmLHp.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2012 7:22 PM   in reply to PerseP

I thought that the PDF tab simply isn't available with 64-bit Windows Explorer -- but it is available with the 32-bit version that came with my Vista 64.  I invoke it to show my drive D: via a one-line batch file that reads

%windir%\SysWOW64\explorer.exe /separate, /root, d:

But when I tried this with the sysWOW64\explorer in Windows 7 just now I got no PDF tab.

David

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2012 6:00 AM   in reply to DaveNickason

I have Adobe Acrobat 9 installed on my Windows 7 Pro 64-bit system and can see the the PDF tabs.

Ken Friedman

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2012 12:56 PM   in reply to DaveNickason

Now we lnow it Abobe's fault

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2012 5:58 AM   in reply to DaveNickason

You might try a repair of Acrobat.

Ken Friedman

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2012 1:05 PM   in reply to kenifriedman

Repaired and updated to 11.1.2 and still no pdf tab

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 8:43 PM   in reply to DaveNickason

Hi,

I also have 64-bit machine and Acrobat X installed. I also cannot see PDF tab in PDF properties' Windows Explorer. I think this is the expected behaviour.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 12:19 AM   in reply to Akash_Gupta

We should be able to get the pdf tab according to http://forums.adobe.com/message/4123610#4123610

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2013 2:36 PM   in reply to DaveNickason

According to the following article, this is an Adobe problem related to their shell extension called pdfshell.dll.  That extension is only a 32 bit extension, and 64 bit Windows will not run 32 bit extensions.

Check out the Ccmment from Tad Marshall here:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/3397 1c82-78ee-445b-acb5-5a64db5b6bb0/

• "As part of the Adobe Reader download, Adobe provides a shell extension called pdfshell.dll.  On 32-bit Windows XP, you'll find it in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX folder.  On 64-bit Windows 7, you'll find it in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX folder.  But, on either system, it's a 32-bit shell extension.  On 64-bit Windows 7, Windows Explorer will only run as a 64-bit program.  According to numerous web forum posters, this was a change between the last "beta" and the "RC" version of 64-bit Windows 7.  There is a 32-bit version of Windows Explorer in the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder, but if you try to run it you get another instance of 64-bit Explorer.  The (first) problem is that 64-bit Windows Explorer won't load a 32-bit shell extension.
    • You can see the 32-bit pdfshell.dll "working" on 64-bit Windows 7 in the File Open dialog of any 32-bit application (such as Adobe Reader).  To see this, first open an Explorer window and navigate to a folder that has some PDF files like your IBM manual.  Right click on the file and choose Properties.  Look at the tabs in the dialog and note that there is no PDF tab.  Now, OK out of the Properties dialog and double-click on the same file to open it in Adobe Reader.  Now press Ctrl-O or choose File Open to get the File Open dialog.  Navigate to the same folder, right click on the same file and choose Properties.  Look at the tabs and see that you now have the PDF tab that was missing in Explorer.  In that tab, you can see the Title that pdfshell.dll has pulled from the file.  This works because 32-bit Adobe Reader has loaded a 32-bit common file dialog which *will* load a 32-bit shell extension."

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points