Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Need Question: Copying Layers Between Documents

Oct 7, 2010 11:24 AM

I've never been able to figure this out and it seems so -obvious- that it should be possible. So sorry if it's been asked a billion times. So...

How does one copy a -Layer- from one open document to another. The only thing I can -ever- get to work is 'Copy Merged' which is pretty useless.

What am I doing wrong?

TIA,

---JC

Replies
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,052 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Oct 7, 2010 11:58 AM   in reply to Suntower

Hello, it is obvious, indeed: drag and drop the layer from the layers panel to the second document...

You can also select the move tool, hold down ALT and drag and drop the layer to the second document, from the file itself.

If you hold Shift, the layer will be centered (if the files do not have the same dimensions) of it will land at the same location (if they do)

Or select all (Ctrl+A), Copy (Ctrl+C) and Paste (Ctrl+V) in the second document.

Yet another solution is to right-click the layer in the layers panel, choose "duplicate..." and set the destination as your other document.

Hope this leads you in the correct direction!

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,052 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Oct 7, 2010 12:48 PM   in reply to Suntower

You are welcome!

If you drag with the move tool (no need for ALT, I'm just a bit tired) from the document window to the other document's tab, it will open doc2, and you can position it where you want, or center it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points