Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Basic Motion Tween not working?

Oct 9, 2010 12:33 PM

I created a graphic symbol in Illustrator and copied-and-pasted it into Flash. I placed a keyframe further in the Timeline and scaled the symbol down on that frame. I went back to the first frame and right clicked on it and chose to create motion tween, though nothing visually happened between the first frame and last one like it did in previous versions, and the the symbol did not not animate. What did I do wrong?

Thanks.

Replies
  • kglad
    72,373 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 9, 2010 2:47 PM   in reply to StanWelks

right click between the two keyframes.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 9, 2010 11:57 PM   in reply to StanWelks

i think you should first create a motion tween and then scale the symbol down to the desired keyframe....hope this should work

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2010 1:33 PM   in reply to StanWelks

Move the playhead to the position where you want the end of the scale, and then scale the object. Flash will automatically create the keyframe for you.

For the differences in new motion, you can see this migration guide:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/motion_migration_guide.html

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 5:18 PM   in reply to StanWelks

Do you have anything on the timeline after that first frame?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 6:35 PM   in reply to StanWelks

That's correct that you move the playhead to a new location and make the change, but it a new location of the tween span (not just the timeline). Flash still requires content to be on the timeline to move the playhead there.

So what you need to do is add frames to your tween span so you can animate (click a later empty frame on the timeline where you want the tween to end, press F5), and then you'll be able to move the playhead and make the changes.

Jen.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 7:34 PM   in reply to StanWelks

It sounds like you haven't created a tween. You need to right-click and choose Create Motion Tween.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to StanWelks

Adobe has made it a wild goose chase. For me, it only works if I don't have a second keyframe. Baffling, why should it behave so differently than classic tweening?!

People like me have been hitting their heads against the wall for years trying to get this to work. Absolutely asinine.

For the record and to repeat my huge gripe, it behaves nothing like classic tweening, where you define an end point and then "tween" between them. You can end up doing that, but you can't create the tween between two existing keyframes (even if they have the exact same single object in them).

So this is what's working for me now:

1 - Create a timeline layer with one single object in an initial keyframe (black dot indicates a keyframe). No more than one object can be tweened in one layer, but Adobe will not give you any userful feedback about this while you're working.

2 - On that layer, farther out in the timeline where there are no frames (what is the name for these "non-frames"?), right click where you want the tween to end, and select "Insert frame". (You'll have a black dot keyframe, a row of grey empty frames, and white box as a blank keyframe.

3 - Right click anywhere on the active part of that timeline and choose "Create Motion Tween", even though there is nothing to tween yet. After you do this, the span of frames should turn blue and the blank keyframe white box should disappear. Congratulations, you've created your first motion tween, but Adobe doesn't want you to know that. You need to actually go to individual frames and move the object around to get tweening to happen, as I outline in steps 4 and 5. Assuming your object is where you want it in the starting position, I would recommend going to the last frame to determine the final position next. Then you can do any number of middle positions (each frame can have a new position).

4 - (optional step, helps with positioning on the timeline) Scrub the timeline and find a frame where you want the trajectory of your object to change (at the very minimum, you'll want to move the object for one frame, otherwise there will be no motion)

5 - Move the object on the stage.

6 - Repeat 4 and 5 for as many frames as you want.

If you're not seeing motion paths that chart the motion, play with the little buttons on the bottom of the timeline, such as Onion Skinning. Lastly, just move the playhead left and right. If you're not seeing your object move, then blame Adobe some more, because this is far from immediately intuitive.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2014 4:19 PM   in reply to will_capellaro

Holy moly this was super helpful.  THANK YOU for writing this out.  After scowering the interwebs - I couldn't find help anywhere until your post.  This was exactly my issue.  Thank you, thank you!!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points