• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ScriptUI for dummies

Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2010 Oct 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been putting together a text on ScriptUI, to a large extent to clear up things for myself (hence the title!). It's an introduction to ScriptUI, much of it very basic, here and there going into some detail. It's not a finished product, and comments, suggestions, and corrections are welcome. If you're interested, you can find the PDF file here: http://www.kahrel.plus.com/indesign/scriptui.html

Peter

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great!!!

It's very helpful.

Peter, thanks alot for all of your hard work.

Shonky

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

excellent stuff. going through it now to see if i can convert an HTML-based calculator that i made so i can output the results straight into indesign.

have noticed one thing which i think might be a typo though. on page 6 (8 of the pdf) there is a heading "Two ways of addressing controls" and rather than paragraphs of type, just the letters "aa".

am i missing something here?

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2010 Oct 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> am i missing something here?

No, that's a "to do", but confusing. Forgot to take it out, actually. Now fixed.

Thanks,

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

On page 6 (Pdf Page 8) under "Formatting the window frame" myPanel not declare so its giving error.

I have declare myPanel and working fine.

myWindow = new Window ("dialog", "Example", undefined, {borderless: true}) var myPanel = myWindow.add("panel", undefined) myPanel.add ("statictext", undefined, "borderless: true"); myWindow.show ();

Shonky

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Shonky, that's fixed now.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW!

Peter, this is really great!

Great tool for beginners, but for pro's also!

PS.

thanks for listing my blog!

--

tomaxxi

http://indisnip.wordpress.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome!!!

It's really great & helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The best way to become acquainted with a subject is to write a book about it."
Benjamin Disraeli
British politician (1804 - 1881)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice work, Peter! Something like that has been needed since CS2.

If you'd like some help on some of the more advanced topics (embedding a png in your script, validation), drop me a line.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bob -- will certainly do (and need) that.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very, very nice.

I wish I had the time to read it through more thoroughly, but on a quick look through, it appears to be very well done (like usual)!

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent book — short and sweet.

Kasyan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2010 Oct 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Kahrel, good stuff.

expecting more from you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

".. Jongware's fabulous CS object browsers .." (cough)

Is there a way to create (or mimic) radio button selection groups?

Screen shot 2010-10-14 at 11.05.33 PM.png

In this script I'm working on (for Illustrator!), I'd like to have either a full choice of attributes in the panel, or simply "Match teeth size". I'd like something like a radiobutton at the top of the panel, as well as one instead of the checkbox -- if the panel radiobutton is selected, the attributes should be editable, but disabled when it's not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about this: if you check "Match teeth size" the panel with the three fields is disabled and the "Center Hole" prompt and field are enabled. Uncheck "Match teeth size" and the panel is enabled and "Center hole" disabled. That way you don't need any radio buttons.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 15, 2010 Oct 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re. "Match Teeth Size":

I'd probably do it Peter's way as well, but IIRC you don't need to enable each one individually. You can just enable/disable the parent panel...

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, guys; I used both of your suggestions! (Ever needed to draw gears? There is an Illustrator script for it now -- I don't think it would be useful as an ID script)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter, for the PDF -- I'll get there eventually!

And thanks, Jongware, for the script. Beautiful, beautiful cogs! BTW, for maximum "joy of mesh" I find myself widening the "valleys" between the teeth to match the width of the "plateaux":

Screen shot 2010-10-15 at 10.31.00.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Veering Off-Topic -- sorry, Peter!)

Jeremy, can you put some numbers to that? Technical documentation on how to actually create gears is a bit hard to find, so I wrote the script to create "mirrored" hills and valleys with the exact same width. Theoretically, if you would draw them as straight lines, they'd match up perfectly. In practice, however, it seems to need a bit of 'pushing'. I don't think the script is accurate enough to design clockwork with -- but I'd sure like it to be!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(We might as well continue this discussion in the Illustrator forum: [CS4/JS] Gear up! A gear drawing script -- to keep it "On topic".)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 16, 2010 Oct 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Jongware] wrote:

Jeremy, can you put some numbers to that?

Alas no... not yet, but I'm thinking about it. I'm trying to write something for InDesign that (probably) follows an entirely different method from your script, and whose results will be much more modest (at first, I'm just going for a simplistic "fortification line"). I thought if I had something of my own that works in InDesign, I might be able to work my (beginner's) way into Illustrator's object model, something I am wholly unacquainted with so far. That's why I'm replying here rather than in the Illustrator Scripting forum.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome!

I have been struggling with the lack of informative examples on this subject!

Like your previous works, it is very simple to understand yet complex enough to assist the more accomplished scripters.

I did find a minor glich on page 22:

The hyperlink: "Gabe Harbs's script" points to this url: "http://www.kahrel.plus.com/indesign/sidenotes.html"

I do not know if this is the intended target.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I do not know if this is the intended target.

Certainly not! Thanks for pointing that out.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 19, 2010 Oct 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

i'm very new with scriptui, i tried the example in the PDF but end up having a blank dialog...

result:

blankdialog.jpg

code here

var myWindow = new Window("dialog");
var myMessage = myWindow.add("statictext");
myMessage = "Hello world";
myWindow.show();

pls advice..

Thank you so much...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines