Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

basic flash question

Oct 13, 2010 8:28 AM

I first learned web design in college back in 2004. Topics relevant to web design included dreamweaver, flash and photo

shop. However i have not used the skill much until now

Back then adding an object involved nothing more than drawing it in its desired position just like you would in publisher or powerpoint

So when i recently started using dreamweaver again i was shocked to learn that i now had to use box model positioning and css to position objects
anyway i qickly learned about non-fixed size divs with static positioning, and have learned a great deal about how this can be combined with old fasioned absolute, relative and fixed poisitioning.

I now turn to using flash again
with flash is it still normal to drag and drop/draw your objects where you want them and to resize them with the cursor
or does flash now have some equivilant to the way in which html has changed?

Replies
  • kglad
    72,220 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 13, 2010 8:47 AM   in reply to iconofsin14

you can use flash like you did in 2004.  it has greatly expanded capabilities but you need not learn/use them.

make sure your publish settings are for as2 and use flash like you used to use it.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 13, 2010 12:06 PM   in reply to iconofsin14

The drawing and placing of items on the stage in Flash doesn't require any changes to the way it used to be.

There is a new way of creating tweens that is really flexible and great, but it isn't required. You can still use the old kind of tweens.

If you do much coding, again there are new ways that are much better and will lead to better things in the future. And again they are not required, the old ways still work as long as you publish to AS2.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2010 6:54 PM   in reply to iconofsin14

If you are using flash cs4 when you create a "motion tween" it is completely different.

in cs4 the thing that was called a motion tween for 10 years is now called a classic tween and the new style tween is called motion tween.

it was probably the biggest idiot move I've ever seen adobe do.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2010 8:52 PM   in reply to iconofsin14

The classic tweens work just fine—like they always have worked. The new motion tweens have a lot of nice features and make certain types of animations easier to edit and control.

But just like html, you can still use the old techniques, but the new ones provide greater flexibility and utility. That is all.

Here is the first tutorial I found on the new motion tween. It isn't particularly good, but it gets the idea across.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUgNhESiPRM

I didn't think I needed to bother learning the new tweens, but when I did I was glad.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points