Skip navigation
JRMN
Currently Being Moderated

Resize A Image Without Losing Quality

Oct 18, 2010 3:07 PM

I have been reading about how to best resize image in PS CS4/CS5.  I've read that you should increase the size of a image in increments and I’ve also read that you should resize using the bicubic smoother setting in PS.

The image that I would like to resize is 5W x 7H and resolution of 150. I would like to print this image at 30W x 40H on a HP Designjet 5500ps.

Any recommendation on how I should go about resizing the image without losing quality?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 18, 2010 9:01 PM   in reply to JRMN

Yeah go get a better quality image. You can't add detail that is not there.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 1:06 AM   in reply to JRMN

YOu can try to resize it in small increments but we can't promise anything...

Use Image Size and increase the size by 10% each time. Repeat the process a number of times and keep checking the quality. Yes, Bicubic Smoother is a good option when you upscale images.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 1:41 AM   in reply to Marek Mularczyk

Since Adobe improved the resizing algorithms, it has been proved by testing that the 10-step approach no longer offers any improvement. If anything the results can be worse!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 3:31 AM   in reply to John Joslin

John,

Do you mean that the "famous" Scott Kelby trick doesn't really work?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 3:43 AM   in reply to Marek Mularczyk

It may work (under some circumstances) but the most recent Photoshop methods, used properly, are better.

Just reporting the results of a few tests a while back. The only way to know is to try both and see for yourself.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 7:16 AM   in reply to John Joslin

What about creating a new document in the size you want and placing an image as a Smart Object? I've done some tests (without printing) and they looked amazing even when I resized the image 4 or 5 times!

What;s your opinion on that?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 7:41 AM   in reply to Marek Mularczyk

The SO should be resampled according to the resampling algorithm set in your PS prefs.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 3:29 PM   in reply to JRMN

No matter which method you used, scaling up a photo 5 times is going to look very good.

There are some software that purports to scale up an image without blurry edges. Not sure how well they work.

If you can obtain the original image and rescan it at a higher resolution that would work better.

Or, if the photo can be easily recreated as a vector drawing, then do that with illustrator and print it out large.

Or if you or someone you know is a great artist, then scale up the photo in photoshop (which would become blurry), then hand correct the edges to make them sharp. This requires drawing ability.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points