Exit

How do I edit a PDF file using Acrobat 9 - Version 9.4.0

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2010 Oct 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My company - [name deleted by host] purchased Acrobat 9 - Version 9.4.0. for me

How do I edit a PDF file using Acrobat 9 - Version 9.4.0

I need to edit - copy, extract text, add text, etc. from existing PDF files to SAVE my changes,

or create a new PDF file from an existing file.

This is very important for me to be able to do my job effectively.

I spent over 2 hrs the last few days, and another hour today, still can't do it.

PLEASE respond ASAP with a solution.

Thanks in advance,

- Daulton West

[signature deleted by host]

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 19, 2010 Oct 19, 2010

Acrobat is not a desktop publishing application.

It sounds like you want to do some extensive editing. If you want to be efficient at your job you'll need to get the original files (before they were a PDF), edit them then create new PDF's.

If you don't have access to the original files, you may be best off recreating them in a Desktop Publishing App.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2010 Oct 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat is not a desktop publishing application.

It sounds like you want to do some extensive editing. If you want to be efficient at your job you'll need to get the original files (before they were a PDF), edit them then create new PDF's.

If you don't have access to the original files, you may be best off recreating them in a Desktop Publishing App.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 20, 2010 Oct 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can not get the original files, then it is probably best to save the files as DOC files or such. Then try to edit those. You will likely lose all of the formating and such, but you won't have to start from scratch. The editing in Acrobat is for minor changes only. If the changes you mention are minor, then you might consider it. In that case you would use the Touchup Text Tool. However, be aware that the editing is not easy and things may appear to get really messed up. Acrobat is not really an editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2010 Oct 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My company specifically bought Std 9 so I could EDIT PDF files- seesm that cannot be done with the software.

Saving as Word or text file and losing all formatting is not an option.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can be done, but the results will depend on which kinds of edits you want

to do. If you want to edit the text you can use the Text TouchUp Tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we have all given you information on how to edit and tried to give you information to not expect a lot. Acrobat has never been an editor, but provides the edit features to fix minor problems. Buying Acrobat for the basic purpose of editing PDFs is the wrong purpose of the product. The format of the PDF file does not lend itself to simple editing. There are supposedly some 3rd party products that do a reasonable job and are geared toward this editing, but even those probably do not work well.

You will notice that we almost always recommend going back to the original application for editing, not doing it in Acrobat. Sorry if this is not what you were looking for, but it is the basic response we have all provided in some sense. You can try the tools we have suggested, but do not expect great results. With some practice, you may get good at it. I have never felt happy with the process when I have done editing -- sometimes getting strange spacing and such.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2010 Oct 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat has the 'touchup' tool, operative word being 'touchup'. This is a very limited editing tool. If you need to edit a PDF then you either need to edit the original document that the PDF was made from (going forward make sure your company saves the original documents from which PDFs are made), get an Adobe Suite with the Adobe Design or Adobe Illustrator and use these programs as an editor, or try a copy of OpenOffice.com and the PDF editing plug-n.

You might want to talk with the person or group that made this decision so they can learn more about the PDF format and products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2011 Feb 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this would work, I'll try

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2016 Aug 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you will need to buy Adobe DC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. There is no product called Adobe DC.

2. The product you mean, Acrobat DC, was not available in 2011 when the question was asked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does acrobat 9 edit, or

I need to edit - copy, extract text, add text, etc. from existing PDF files to SAVE to word

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 08, 2016 Aug 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In 2011 for the best result one needed the original source document and if not available Acrobat the latest vrrsion might work.

It might be possible to use a 3rd party OCR program to open the PDF and convert it to Word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 08, 2016 Aug 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines