Skip navigation
loco4coues
Currently Being Moderated

How to make a file smaller so I can email it????

Oct 19, 2010 4:00 PM

I am new to the forum here and to photo shop so I am learning. I have an  IMAC and PSE 8. I scanned some documents as pdf files and saved them to my desktop. They are pretty big (16 MB and 7 MB) I want to email them as pdf files, but want them much smaller. I open them using pse 8 and then I am stuck.  Can anyone tell me a step by step process to make the files smaller, keep them as pdfs, so I can email them. They are documents that I need to get emailed right away. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-loco

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 19, 2010 4:25 PM   in reply to loco4coues

I don't think you can make .pdf files smaller.

Your options are to leave them as they are, or use JPG or GIF files, which will be smaller.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 4:30 PM   in reply to loco4coues

Are these documents, as in having text and images, as opposed to being just image files?

If so, PSE is not your axe of choice for this job. Do it in Preview. Open the file, choose File>Save As, choose PDF as the file type and then you will see a pulldown menu labelled Quartz filter. You can choose Reduce file size there. However, be aware that PDFs are likely to suffer a substantial decrease in quality when you do this, probably more than it's worth for the relatively small decrease in size.

If they are just image files, rescan them in an image format. It will be much easier to create smaller files from an image, without going the PDF route.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2010 8:09 AM   in reply to loco4coues

You could have used the option of quality slider present while using the email feature in Elements Organizer. This will automatically reduce the size of image.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points