• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audio gets cut off at start and end of slide. Gets worse as project size increases.

New Here ,
Oct 23, 2010 Oct 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using Captivate 5 to create some e-learning content that is a mixture of slides with animated images on them and application/video demonstrations.

Each slide generally has several text captions which follow each other with a seperate piece of Audio, recorded iin Captivate 5.  Each project generally has between 10 and 120 slides in it - The projects with a higher number of slides are mainly due to several frames of 'video'/recorded content.

The problem I am seeing is that audio cuts off, sometimes at the beginning, but more often, at the end of a slide and this behavior is more obvious when the project gets larger.

Interestingly, the problem seems to be much more prominent when viewing the published project by running the .swf file directly compared to when the .swf file is run via the.htm file !?!  When running from the .htm file the problem is far less extreme/noticeable.  I do not see the problem when previewing within Captivate.

I am aware of the various workarounds (to add gaps in the audio at the end of slides) but these are exactly that, workarounds - and very timeconsuming workarounds at that!

Is Adobe looking into why audio and video get out of sync as several customers have reported?  Can we expect a fix?  These flaws in the product significantly detract from the otherwise very good product that it is.

Cheers,

David

TOPICS
Audio and video

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2010 Nov 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the Neospeech voices? I've had this issue (with speech cutting off at the end of the slide) with the Kate and Paul voices--yea, the only way to fix that is put that code at the end, which is a pain.

But I have not noticed the problem with the Loquendo Simon voice or with IVONA voices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2010 Nov 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joe,

Thanks for trying to help.  I am using the 'David' voice .. that is .. my own .  I am recording my voice using Audio > 'Record to'.

I get this is basically a scalability issue.  It seems that a whole load of wacky things happen when you get over a certain size/number of slides.  Sound starts to get out of sync/cut-off, animation/effects get out of sync/slow down ..... It seems that the best way to prevent these problems is to try to keep each .cptx to under 70 slides

Cheers,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 12, 2010 Nov 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

We are in process of investigating this issue, we are collecting projects from different people to boil down to a particular root cause of the issue. It will be great if you can share your project with me. You may choose to upload the project to acrobat.com and mail the download link to ashwin at adobe dot com.

Thanks

Ashwin Bharghav B

Adobe Captivate Team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 10, 2010 Dec 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Audio cutoffs.

There are a number of outstanding  issues. How about a patch?

Yeah, I know this a user forum...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We have released a patch with fixes to the audio cut issue. You can check the release notes and details about the patch here :

http://www.adobe.com/support/captivate/downloads.html

You can either choose to download the patch from the above mentioned location or you may install it from the application.

Steps to install it from the application.

1. Launch Adobe captivate 5 and in the menu item follow Help >> Updates.

2. Update manager searches for updates and lists the patch available.

3. Close captivate and install the patch.

Check the release notes about the fix realted to the audio cut issue in the above location.

Let us know if the audio cut issue is resolved for you.

Thanks,

Ashwin Bharghav B

Adobe Captivate Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The patch - is it language dependent? Or may it be installed over an non-English version of CP5? Thanks for your answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, The patch is not language dependent. Please go ahead and install the same. But the release notes are currently available in English only. Localized versions of release notes will be available soon.

-Ashwin Bharghav B

Adobe Captivate Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see an update when I check for updates. When was this added?

Is there some way of verifying whether I have the patch installed already?

Thanks,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello David,

It is not available as for other Adobe apps. Please check this link:

Patch for Captivate 5

After installing the patch you should have version 5.0.1.624

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 01, 2011 Jan 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The patch didn't help me, and I have added the AudioOptions.ini file as per described in http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/#main__Using_the_AudioOptions_ini_file_to_obtain_the_fix_for_the_au...

I'm getting them cut off at the end -- meaning the slide stops (or, moves to the next slide) when there is about a half-second left on the last word.  BUT... even if I drag out the timeline, it still cuts off, or even if I add silence at the end. BUT ... it cuts off only the first play. If I rewind, the next play is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 04, 2011 Jan 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tim,

Can you share your project with me to investigate further on the same ?

You may choose to upload the project to acrobat.com and share me the download link.

Thanks

Ashwin Bharghav B

Adobe Captivate Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2011 Jan 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having the issue as well, even with the patch, and setting the ini file correctly. I've tried adding space at the beginning of the slide, end of the slide, etc. Still cuts off the last part of the last word. The problem seems to affect the slides at the end of the project more than the earlier slides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 14, 2011 Jan 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try reducing the frame rate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2011 Jan 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but that did not fix the issue. I tried changing the frame rate from 30 to 20. Should I change it more

drastically than that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 17, 2011 Jan 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share your project with me to investigate further on the same ?

You may choose to upload the project to acrobat.com and share me the download link.

Thanks

Ashwin Bharghav B

Adobe Captivate Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 19, 2011 Jan 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joebor1776,

Will it be possible for you to share the captivate file with us? If yes, you could do so by zipping the file -> uploading on acrobat.com (its free) and share the link with me at maanand@adobe.com.

-Manish

blogs.adobe.com/captivate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2011 Jan 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can share it, but I don't think it would help. I realized today that the issue only occurs when we play the swf through our html page. If I open the swf directly, or open it using the Captivate-generated .htm file, the audio cut-off problem does not happen. But when I view the swf through the html page that will launch it in our documentation project, the problem occurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 02, 2011 Feb 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

If you are facing Audio cut issue even after installing the patch then read further for a fix for the same.

We did a thorough investigation on the Audio cut issue and have SOLVED it.

1. Open the project having Audio cut issue in Captivate 5 with Patch.

2. Select the first slide .

3. Scroll to the last slide and "Shift+Select " the last slide. Make sure that all the slides in the project are selected.

4. In the Slide PI change the "Slide Exit" action from "Go to Next Slide" to "No Action"

5. Publish the project with "AudioOptions.ini" file in the Installed folder of captivate.

Notice that while setting the "Slide Exit" action from "Go to Next Slide" to "No Action" the slide progress to the next slide will not be stopped in the published output but it would continue to play the project.

Please try out the steps mentioned and let us know.

Thanks,

Ashwin Bharghav B.

Software Quality Engineer.

Adobe Captivate Team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2011 Mar 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the audio cut off issue as well...

I have updated to the latest release.

I have started a project in this latest release of Captivate.

I have selected slides with the audio cut off problem (my narration, not test-to-speech)

and selected "NO ACTION" for slide property "On Exit"

The last bit of audio is cut off. Sometimes it is cut of, sometimes it isn't cut off.

I tried your suggesting of selecting all slides in the project, and selecting 'NO ACTION" on slide Exit in the properties, BUT

the ability to select this is not available, it is greyed out.

My project has demo, training, and assessment software simulations.

====

This is not contructive, but nonethiess, I will say it:

<rant>

It is very frustrating to spend time dealing with this issue when trying to complete projects. This should be basic stuff we do not waste time on.

</rant>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 25, 2011 Mar 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try selecting all slides except the quiz slides. You cannot change the On Exit property for quiz slides.

I was also having this issue - this seems to have fixed it, but we'll see in the final product...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On quiz slides, the OnExit action is really controlled by the OnSuccess or OnFailure actions that you can set up for the question after it gets submitted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, thanks for all the workarounds. Whew.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2011 Mar 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just came back from Adobe Summit in Orlando, FL.  In a session about audio/video, the facilitator also said that not allowing for a little bit of silence at the beginning/end of the audio can result in this problem (has to do with progressive loading, and isn't necessarily just the first or last slide).  Recommendation was to allow at least .5 seconds of silence at beginning/end of each individual audio file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources