Skip navigation
Kensai47
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Audition 3 cannot install

Oct 23, 2010 10:26 AM

I've heard good things about this program, when it works, and I wanted to give it a try.

Trial version, after extraction the install launches, I select the language and right after I hit Next it crashes without any warning or message. I tried this thing repeatedly and I get the same result each time. Is there a problem with it?

My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and the hardware I own meets all requirements for running this application.

Replies
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Oct 23, 2010 10:46 AM   in reply to Kensai47

Kensai47 wrote:

My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and the hardware I own meets all requirements for running this application.

The hardware might, but the OS is nowhere on the recommended list at all. Some people claim to have got it to work, but there is absolutely no guarantee of this. Either use W7 32-bit, or the OS it was designed for, which is XP.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Oct 24, 2010 2:25 AM   in reply to Kensai47

I never mentioned solutions - I'm not aware of any, save running the 3.0.1 update patch, which might help. But I'm not sure whether you can run this on the trial version. I've already told you what the real solution is - W7 32-bit if you are purchasing an OS, or XP if you have it available. You have to decide whether you just want a computer with an OS, or a computer that actually runs the software you want to use - Microshaft make this a painful decision these days.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 24, 2010 5:49 AM   in reply to Kensai47

The  paid for version of Audition 3 runs quite happily on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit for me - as did Audition 2 before I upgraded!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2010 6:27 AM   in reply to Alan Craven

But whether it works defends on a whole series of unpredictable facts, including the hardware and drivers installed.

Yes, many people have managed to persuade it to run with varying degrees of reliability  However, you need only read topic after topic in this forum to see that it's not necessarily the best idea to suggest somebody spends a few hundred dollars because it MIGHT work.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2010 6:48 AM   in reply to Bob Howes
    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Bob Howes wrote:

But whether it works defends on a whole series of unpredictable facts, including the hardware and drivers installed.

Yes, many people have managed to persuade it to run with varying degrees of reliability  However, you need only read topic after topic in this forum to see that it's not necessarily the best idea to suggest somebody spends a few hundred dollars because it MIGHT work.

I do not recall suggesting that anybody buy Audition 3!  I merely reported that I have no problem with the software.

I take it that in your view it is fine to post about one's problems with software, but out of order to report that all is well, where one runs problem free?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2010 11:45 AM   in reply to Alan Craven

With all due respect to you, and not wishing to second-guess Bob Howes...

I don't think he's saying that you are in any way "out of order" to say that AA runs faultlessly for you on W7 Pro 64 bit; merely that there are so many variables between computer set-ups that can, and do, cause problems.

In my case, I run AA under Win 7 Pro 32 bit and experience no problems other than the fact that EMU have still not released anything other than a beta driver for their 0404 PCIe card.  As a result, I sometimes experience, to varying degrees, completely unwanted "pops" and distortion  when monitoring my recordings.  A pain, but I know the cause: some type of conflict between the card and the OS.

That card/OS combination is critical here, as in any other computer set-up.  Who is to say for certain that a particular combination will or will not work?

Clearly Win 7 64 bit works for you because the combination of hardware and software on your computer works "as expected"; whether that can be "guaranteed" for the OP is impossible to say.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Oct 24, 2010 1:28 PM   in reply to emmrecs

I'm afraid that these past few exchanges represent very well what actually happens - some people claim to have good results, and some have undisputedly run into major problems. Yes, these may well be driver-related problems, but there are very, very few examples (if any) of people having problems with W7 64-bit, changing either hardware or drivers, and then having it work - so we have scant evidence of anything concrete about this at all.

Hence my reservations.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2010 8:06 PM   in reply to Alan Craven

@Alan Craven

Although Emrecs and SteveG have summed it up well, a couple of comments.

Of course there's nothing wrong with pointing out when things go well.  Forums like these often give a distorted view of problems because happy users rarely visit.  This is a place for people having problems.

However, in this case, your post could easily have been interpreted as suggesting the OP spend money to upgrade from the trial version to the paid version of AA3.0.  I have a problem with this for a few reasons:

First off, other than the ability to do the 3.01 patch (which fixes specific things and is not really to do with installation issues) there's no evidence that the paid version will work any better than the trial.  Indeed, Adobe make big play of the fact that their trials are fully functioning and in no way different from the version you buy.

Second, there are just too many reports of problems with the 64 bit version of Windows not playing nicely with AA.  Some people like you get lucky but a great many have insurmountable problems.  Even Adobe themselves do NOT claim compatibility.

For these reasons, I thought it important to make sure the OP understood the situation and did not spend a fair bit of money to try and make AA work with his system when the odds aren't particularly good.  Put another way, wasting my own money is silly.  Wasting somebody else's money is unforgivable.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2010 9:47 AM   in reply to Kensai47

Hi Kensai47,

Let's ignore the other advice for a moment since it doesn't even sound like you're reaching the point where the OS or hardware might be a factor in whether Audition runs, but are crashing in the installer itself.  There's a few things we can check out, but you may want to contact Adobe Support via http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/contact.html where you can get phone numbers to call, or online chat support, to help work this issue out in real-time.

My first suggestion would be to run the installer file as an Administrator.  Right-click the exe file and select "Run as administrator."

If that fails, then I'd recommend restarting Windows in Safe Mode and attempting to install.

If those fails, restart, then open your Control Panel.  Select "Administration Tools" then click on Windows Logs > Application and look for any error messages that occurred that reference Audition or that occurred at the time the installer crashed.

Obviously, it shouldn't be this difficult to install the application, and most users do not have any problems.  Since it sounds like the application downloaded and uncompressed without any problems, it's unlikely to be a corrupt or incomplete download.  Since the installer launches, and at least partially progresses, it implies the conflict lies outside of the software itself, so we may need to prod around a little bit and see what might be affecting it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2010 2:10 AM   in reply to Kensai47

im having the same problem.

i downloaded the trail from this website, ran it. went to the directory it installed, (the audition trail 3.0 directory). from there i run the "audition 3.0 setup" exe file and it pulls up, runs, asks me for my choice of language, then when i hit ok, it goes thru the "preparing to install" process and then crashes, no warning, nothing. im running the program as administrator. whats going on? im running windows 7 ultimate 86 bit, and meet the system requirements. can anyone tell me whats going on?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2010 5:16 PM   in reply to Kensai47

so had anyone gotten audition 3 to work on windows 7? or is that the problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2010 7:02 PM   in reply to diesel070189

AA3.0 seems to work pretty well with Windows 7 32 bit (though there are occasional posts about problems, often driver related).

However, Window's 7 64 bit seems very problematic.  We hear from a few folks who claim it's okay but there are an awful lot of people posting a litany of problems here.

As an AA3 user, there's certainly no way I'd upgrade to W7/64 and count on my software continuing to work.  I'd either stick to a 32 bit OS or wait for AA4 (which I assume will include 64 bit support though obviously Adobe have not made any announcements on this).

However, if you REALLY have Windows 7 86 bit, that must be custom software anyway!  (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2010 2:23 AM   in reply to diesel070189

Let me sum up the situation here. I have been testing the basic features of Audition 3 alongside other programs on a pair of laptops to ensure that friends who

have had to replace laptops with newer models will not hit major unexpected problems. One laptop is a dual core AMD-based (with ATI chipset), the other a single core Intel based machine.

Both are fairly recent machines and have drivers for all recent versions of Windows.

Audition 3.01 runs fine, as do 2 other asio-based audio programs. What is a problem is the driver/machine interface. Both machines have some glitching when wireless networking is enabled and running while recording. The AMD-based machine has utterly horrendous glitching when used with USB 1.1 audio interfaces using asio, It is fine when used with a USB 2.0 audio interface or when a USB 2.0 hub, powered or unpowered is put in circuit. This really serious glitching does not appear when running Vista or XP on the same machine, but does affect 32 and 64-bit versions of Windows 7. If you look around forums on the internet, you will probably notice many reports of file transfer problems with large files under Win 7 64-bit with certain chipsets and also many reports of firewire problems. All of these point to driver or hardware issues or to some problems with Windows 7 itself, but they only seem to affect a fairly small percentage of all Win7 users.

In my case, driver development seems to have ceased for my machines, but I have a work around, so I am only looking at this for interest.

The relatively small wi-fi glitching is actually more common and serious in the real world, and does seem to be a specific Windows 7 problem, but again can be worked around if only by switching off the wireless temporarily.

In the desktops here I still use XP as the main OS and see no reason to change, but if I needed a new system and was certain of all the drivers, I wouldn't avoid Win 7. Note once again, though, that I have only tested and used extensively the relatively simple features of Audition. Heavy multitracking and the more advanced features are left to the desktops.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2011 9:00 PM   in reply to Kensai47

You are all so much more evolved than I, so please attempt to gently embrace my questions LoL

I am a voice-over actor who has purchased a new computer...Windows 7........AMD  Phenomm 11....6 GB memory .....750 GB hardrive.

I purchased the Adobe Audition 3 after using A A 1.0 for nearly 7 years on my old XP  computer.  I was using the Audigy 2 platinum sound card on the XP.

Well after talking to a million experts, I was convinced by one to purchase the Pro Tools Mbox Mini audio interface 2.0.  This after returning the Edirol UA-25

EX because it apparently has the following problem...having to restart computer when recording @24 bits at 48.

Anyway, before I confuse myself, here is my question.

Will the Pro Tools Mbox mini work with my Windows 7 computer while allowing me to continue to use Adobe Audition 3?

The salesman who sold me the Mbox said that te pro tools software will sit somewhere on the computer basically dormant and that I would be able to use A A 3 with the same familiarity I had with my old set-up.

Again, I'm just a voice-over actor, not at all interested in becoming an audio engineer, but upon occasion I will be producing demo reels.  Just Looking to replicate a familiar scenerio in my home studio.

You may even have suggestions on a good combination for my new studio.  I'm willing to listen.

Please help

Regards

Vopro

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points