Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

When batching Save for Web, Illustrator also saves copy of .ai file

Oct 25, 2010 1:32 PM

This question was asked and abonadoned here, so I'm posting because it's also happening to me.

CS4 & CS5 (I tried both), Mac OS 10.6

1. I select the "Save for Web PNG" action, which is part of the default set, and select "Batch."

2. I choose a source folder and choose a destination folder, and check "Override Action 'Save' Commands."

3. Illustrator then performs the Save for Web action, but puts the .png files in the original destination specified in the action. It also puts copies of the .ai files in the destination folder I created and specified in the Batch dialog box.

I want the .png files in my folder, and I don't want copies of the .ai files.

Pulling my hair out on this one, going to lunch. Thanks in advance for any help

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 28, 2010 2:24 AM   in reply to Cheryl Graham

Cheryl,

A priori, I would expect the Action to behave as you want it to, and not as it is happening.

I don't have an authoritative answer for you (I've never worked on the Action interpreter) as to why it isn't working as desired, but as a pure guess, perhaps "Save for Web" does not count as a "Save" command in the sense that the batch Action machinery interprets that word?

Did it work as you expected in CS3, or have you only tried it in the newer versions?

I will try to find out who is currently responsible for the code that executes Actions, and point them to this thread, so that you can get a more informed response.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2010 12:56 PM   in reply to Teri_P

Seems to be coming from the batch command, as the action runs fine as an action on one  file. I made a new action using export to PNG, and the only resulting files were .ai files and no pngs (an even worse result).

Illustrator actions have always been not as stable or advanced as Photoshop, but this is truly disappointing.

Sorry I cannot provide a solution, but noone was answering this post so wanted to chime in with what I found.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2010 1:14 PM   in reply to Cheryl Graham

Cheryl,

can you perhaps post a screenshot that shows the detailed settings in your Batch Process dialog?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2010 1:52 PM   in reply to Cheryl Graham

See screenshot below. Should do what you want.

Batch_PNG.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 10:49 AM   in reply to Cheryl Graham

This thread was helpful. I have related question:

How do I force the batch action to run without intervention? Right now I have to click "Save" in the "Save for Web" screen, then hit save again, to accept the default name. Kind of defeats the purpose of a "batch action".

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to Cheryl Graham

Thanks so much, Cheryl!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status