Skip navigation
TimB_Kulabyte
Currently Being Moderated

Does .f4m manifest work with Akamai HD network and strobe player

Oct 25, 2010 8:04 PM

I have been using Strobe 1.0 with Akamai's RTMP based Flash network for live multi-bitrate streaming without issue.  I used a .f4m manifest file to specify the live streams and the player switches appropriately based on bandwidth.

I have attempted to do the same with Akamai's HD Network (HTTP based Flash) and Strobe and in this case if I only specify one media_url in the .f4m that one stream plays fine.  However, if I specify more than one media_url as shown below then I get the "We are unable to connect to the content you have requested..."

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<manifest xmlns="http://ns.adobe.com/f4m/1.0">
        <id>Demo</id>
        <streamType>live</streamType>

<baseURL>http://XXXhdlive-f.akamaihd.net/</baseURL>

<media url="kulabyte_timb_200@37626" bitrate="200" width="480" height="270"/>
        <media url="kulabyte_timb_100@37626" bitrate="100" width="320" height="180"/>

</manifest>

My understanding from forum post http://forums.adobe.com/thread/589817?tstart=90 is that OSMF supports the Akamai network even without the Akamai Basic Streaming Plugin, but I'm not sure if that includes HD Network or not.  I have tried with loading the AkamaiBasicStreamingPlugin.swf plugin and tried without loading it, but the behavior described above happens either way.  I used this in the flashvars to load it:

plugin_Akamai=http://live.kulabyte.com/osmf/plugins/AkamaiBasicStreamingPlugin.swf

Actually it's not clear to me if I am successfully loading the plugin or not and maybe that is the real problem I am having.

I would appreciate any advice on this.

Regards,

Tim

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 27, 2010 6:04 PM   in reply to TimB_Kulabyte

Hi Tim,

Contact your Akamai sales rep and tell him/her you need the AkamaiAdvancedStreamingPlugin. You won't be able to play multi-bitrate Akamai HDN streams in an OSMF player without this plugin.

Thanks,

- charles

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2010 6:44 PM   in reply to TimB_Kulabyte

Yes, give that another try. Tell them you just talked to the author of the plugin and therefore you are sure it exists   It is relatively new. Ping me at cnewman at akamai dot com if you have problems. What you really want is a document called "Akamai plugins for OSMF". It contains samples with source as well as detailed documentation on how to use the plugins with OSMF and Strobe Media Playback.

Thanks,

- charles

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2010 7:05 PM   in reply to charles_newman-04hCwf

What you really want is a document called "Akamai plugins for OSMF". It contains samples with source as well as detailed documentation on how to use the plugins with OSMF and Strobe Media Playback.

- charles

Charles,

Would it be possible to obtain this documentation?

I have been trying to document both OVP and SMP for a Joomla extension,

and reverse engineering the examples is not an easy way to create documentation.

And much information is still missing.

Having some real documentation of using real plug-ins would be very helpful.

I assume this documentation is a PDF so it would be a simple link.

Thank you.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2010 10:08 AM   in reply to amr2

Hi Ken,

That document is for Akamai customers only. So unfortunately I can't hand it out to everyone.  There is a good document on OSMF plug-ins you can get to from osmf.org.  I am also a co-author of OVP as well as a contributor to the OSMF code base. Ping me directly at cnewman at akamai dot com if I can answer specific questions about either.

The loadPlugin method in the AkamaiPluginSample is a good reference for how to load plug-ins statically or dynamically.

Writing a Joomla extension with OVP, OSMF, and or Strobe sounds like a great topic for a new blog post

Thanks,

- charles

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2010 2:38 PM   in reply to charles_newman-04hCwf

Hi Charles,

Yes, I recognize you from both projects, forums, trackers, and SVNs.

My Joomla extension is already working and has SMP, OVP Flash, and OVP Silverlight integrated.

Giving users alternative players that are free, open source, with the latest streaming technology.

Everything these players can do is now working, and demonstrated on a demo website.

The big gaping hole is demonstrating working plug-ins and documentation for those plug-ins.

My otherwise extensive demo website has zero plugins demonstrated for either OVP or SMP.

Trying to change that.

I have all PDFs available from OSMF, OVP, and SMP projects.

Looking for end-user how-to-use-it documentation not developer how-to-build-it docs.

Thanks for your response.

I will continue to watch for clues . . .

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2010 9:35 PM   in reply to amr2

Hi Ken,

You wrote:

"The big gaping hole is demonstrating working plug-ins and documentation for those plug-ins."

For SMP, might including analytics plug-ins be a good start?  If you are looking for "demonstrating working plug-ins" the following two analytics plug-ins are accessible:

There also are plug-in samples in the OSMF project that perhaps could be suited to your effort.

fwiw, Although OSMF is **OPEN**, many current plug-in partners are not.  I have pursued an effort similar to what you currently are doing.  It is awesome that the partners are supporting OSMF, however as I contacted them responses such as "That document is for customers only" was very common.

btw, My reply is forking this thread.  If you respond to this response (regarding plug-ins in general), please open a new thread cross referencing this one.  I will see your reply either way.

btw #2, I would be interested in the link to the "demo website" you mentioned (if it is public).

hth,

g

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2010 9:57 PM   in reply to greg•hamer

Thanks Greg.

Started a new Plug-ins thread here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3247293#3247293

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points