Skip navigation
sewing-for-joy
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe eLearning Suite Flash Quiz Templates

Oct 26, 2010 4:21 AM

I tried to create some, such as "Drag and Drop" or "True and False." However, the instructions weren't adequate. I couldn't figure

out what Adobe was telling me to do. I went online to Adobe, and tried to find tutorials. There don't seem to be

e any. I can't get any help at all.

It seems, to me, that there Quiz Learning Interactions are included only in the version of Flash CS5 that comes with the e-Learning suite. Am I right?

I'd appreciate hearing from anybody who could supply me with some guidance.

Best regards,

Joy

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 19, 2010 11:54 AM   in reply to sewing-for-joy

I think that is correct.  The learning interactions come with Flash CS5 only with the eLearning Suite2.  It looks like they are only compatible with AS3, which makes sense since Flash is moving to that standard.  It also looks like Adobe has changed how you work with them via the component inspector.  I've looked all over for information on how to work with the learning interactions in CS5.  It used to be so easy in CS3.

It's not user friendly. Set to publish to Flash Player 10 and AS3.  Open the Common Libraries and drag any interaction to the stage.  Break it apart (once). Select the instructions (left side).   Choose properties then Component Parameters.  Then change the values for each property in the obscure way it was designed.

Anyone else want to jump in here?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2010 6:52 AM   in reply to teamperform

You can find some cryptic documentation by going to Adobe eLearning Suite Extensions, then Adobe eLearning Suite extension features under Adobe community help.

If you need additional help making Flash Scorm compliant, I recommend Andrew Chemey at LearningConsulting.com.  He "da man".

Cheers,

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2011 9:53 AM   in reply to teamperform

Hi, I have the e-learning suite with CS5 Flash Quiz Templates.  But they don't work.  I have spent hours following the instructions to the letter and all I get is strange things happening.  Quiz counter doesn't work, deleting and adding question types to the timeline stops the "Submit" button appearing etc. I have tried the movieclip option and the component options with no results.  What I want to know is whether anyone has managed to get these templates to work or who has created some meaningful instructions.

Cheers.

Lester

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2012 3:13 PM   in reply to sewing-for-joy

Hi

I am incredibly frustrated by this!!!

Flash CS5.5 clearly does not do what it says on the tin. I am a teacher and one of the main reasons I purchased the eLearning Suite was to produce interactive quizzes. Captivate will not publish quizzes to Apps for Android and Flash CS 5.5 just doesn't work plain and simple. I have followed all of the instructions I can find (which isn't easy) but as soon as I try to add any new frames to the templates, the debugging, publishing or publishing for preview brings up errors.

WORSE STILL!!!!! As soon as you save the files (even if you save them as CS4 files as recommended) they stop working - even if you have not altered the frames at all.

WHY IS ADOBE NOT SUPPORTING THIS FORUM AND WHY IS IT NOT SUPPORTING FLASH CS5.5!?

THESE ISSUES HAVE BEEN BROUGHT TO YOUR ATTENTION FOR A LONG TIME NOW AND YOU SHOULD HAVE RELEASED FIXES VIA UPDATES!! OR AT THE VERY LEAST RESPONDED TO THIS FORUM WITH SOME KIND OF RECOGNITION THAT YOU ARE DEALING WITH THE ISSUE!!!!

YOU ARE CREATING A LOT OF EXTREMELY UNHAPPY CUSTOMERS WHO HAVE SPENT A SMALL FORTUNE ON YOUR PRODUCTS!!!!

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,212 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Feb 1, 2012 3:24 PM   in reply to TFreelander

these are user-to-user forums, not official adobe communication channels.

that said, the problem you're seeing is almost certainly user error.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2012 3:39 PM   in reply to kglad

I have tried a hell of a lot of work arounds but am open to suggestions. If you think it is a user error what do you think I might be doing wrong?

Also I fail to see how it could be a user error if I open up a template, run the debug and it works fine then, simply save it as CS5.5 or CS4 and re-run the debug and it fails to work and generates a lot of errors.

Thanks for taking the time to comment though.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,212 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Feb 1, 2012 3:50 PM   in reply to TFreelander

i would recommend skipping the templates and starting with a new as3 document.

but, if you want me to check a cs5.5 template, which one are you using, in which category.  i didn't see a quiz template in5.5

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 1:06 AM   in reply to kglad

Hi

Thanks for taking the time to check this out.

My version of Flash Pro was packaged with the eLearning Suite. From what I can tell It is only packaged with that version but, on every forum I have been on in the past week, no one seems to have had success with the quizzing Templates. Apparently they worked fine in Flash CS3 but none have worked since.

Many of the people who have written on the forums have described following the instructions to the letter (as I have) but still have no success. I suspect I will have to start with an entirely new as3 document but it will be a very steep learning curve for me especially as I have to make the quizzes SCORM compliant. The problem is that making the quiz SCORM compliant involves copying and pasting script either from one of the templates or from an ADOBE support document and this could very well be the route of all the problems.

In any event, I really don't think it is too much to expect for software which, I bought for educational purposes (it is called the eLearning Suite) that needs to have quizzing as a fundamental Teaching and Learning element to be a little more intuitive and to do what all the documentation says it can do. I am a Teacher and my time is already taken up with Planning, Teaching and Marking. I really don't have the time to start learning how to script from scratch. All of the documentation says that the templates work so they should.

I have always been a strong proponent of ADOBE and I have been instrumental in encouraging my school to purchase substantial licenses but this experience has (for the first time in over 15 years of experience with ADOBE) left me feeling very jaded. Why does it seem to be impossible to find any kind of answer from the developers about this issue? They seem to be burying their heads in the sand.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 1:39 AM   in reply to TFreelander

O.k............ I do have a little bit of egg on my face and have to offer an apology to ADOBE (although I still think they could have made some effort to assist bewildered customers).

I tried taking all of the same steps this morning on a different computer and everything worked fine with one small exception which I'll ask for advice on at the end of this post.

Firstly saving the file as CS4 and CS 5.5 worked fine this morning with no corruption of the file. Secondly I was able to edit the quiz and add new pages without much trouble and they still work better than before with the exception that I mentioned above. I am now left wondering two things:

Is this because the installation on the computer I used last night was flawed? (I will try a re-install to see if it works)

or

Is this because the computer I used last night was 64bit whereas the computer I am using now is 32bit? (If that is the case then ADOBE have an issue and will need to realease a fix)

Now to my question....

Although the debugging runs through to the end and collates the score, as soon as I get to the point where I have added a new frame the message which says 'That is Correct!' no longer dissappears and, although I can select a radio button, the submit button does not work. Consequently, I can not score any more points for questions beyond that point.

I am sure this is definitely a user error but I am struggling to find out where I am going wrong. I suspect the issue lies within the scripting for the submit button but am at a loss where to find what I need to change as this step was not included in the instructions on the ADOBE document

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 1:55 AM   in reply to TFreelander

It might be helpful to add that, if I ignore all questions up to that point when I try to select a radio button and then press submit to the new slide, I get the following debug error:

TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.

at Untitled_fla::Tracking_Component_1/submitClicked()[Untitled_fla.Track ing_Component_1::frame1:232]

Debug session terminated.

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,212 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Feb 2, 2012 6:56 AM   in reply to TFreelander

i can help with your error message but not much else that you posted.

on line 232 in frame 1, you have a line of code that's trying to reference a non-existant object.  if you copy and paste line 232, i can give more specific help.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 8:24 AM   in reply to kglad

Hi

Thanks for this. I have pasted below, line 232 and the lines directly preceeding it.

var resultstring = this["question_mc_"+currentQuestion].checkAnswer(e);

feedbackMovie_mc.text = this["question_mc_"+currentQuestion].getFeedbackString();

//trace("feedbackMovie_mc.text = "+feedbackMovie_mc.text);

//questionStatusArray[currentQuestion-1].point = this["question_mc_"+currentQuestion].points;

questionStatusArray[currentQuestion-1].pointsScored = this["question_mc_"+currentQuestion].getPointsScored();

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,212 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Feb 2, 2012 9:49 AM   in reply to TFreelander

add these traces and copy and paste the output panel text that results from testing:

trace(questionStatusArray,currentQuestion-1);
    trace(this["question_mc_"+currentQuestion]);
    trace(questionStatusArray.length);

feedbackMovie_mc.text = this["question_mc_"+currentQuestion].getFeedbackString();

//trace("feedbackMovie_mc.text = "+feedbackMovie_mc.text);

//questionStatusArray[currentQuestion-1].point = this["question_mc_"+currentQuestion].points;

questionStatusArray[currentQuestion-1].pointsScored = this["question_mc_"+currentQuestion].getPointsScored();

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 2:10 PM   in reply to kglad

Sorry kglad. You'll have to bare with me a little bit for this part as scripting is new to me.

Where should I add those traces? I tried adding them directly after the script I pasted above but I got nothing different in the output panel.

TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.

at Untitled_fla::Tracking_Component_1/submitClicked()[Untitled_fla.Track ing_Component_1::frame1:232]

Debug session terminated.

However I did notice the following compiler error:

Symbol 'Tracking_Component', Layer 'Actions', Frame 1, Line 242 Warning: 3596: Duplicate variable definition.

Line 242 is currently...

...which was part of the script you asked me to paste.

I know this is probably because I pasted it in the wrong place but thought I'd add the information here incase it was relevant.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 3:06 PM   in reply to TFreelander

Here are a couple of interesting factors that I have also noticed.

If I add a new frame but do not insert another multiple choice question, the submit button on all of the frames that follow it still fail to work just if I had inserted a new question.

However...

If I do not insert a new frame but instead delete a question and insert a new question, the submit button on that frame ceases to work but all of the frames that follow it continue to work.

This leads me to believe that, by inserting a new frame, I am severing the link to the submit button on all subsequent questions. However if I do not insert a new frame the link to the submit button stays intact but is severed on any frame where I delete the question and insert a new question.

I have also tried copying a frame insted of creating a blank keyframe and I have the same results.

I have also noticed that deleting frames has the same effect on the frames after the one deleted. I.e. the submit button ceases to work.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,212 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Feb 2, 2012 3:23 PM   in reply to TFreelander

add the trace statements exactly where shown, before the problematic line of code.

if you've already declared resultstring above that code, use:

resultstring = this["question_mc_"+currentQuestion].checkAnswer(e);

instead of

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2012 12:35 AM   in reply to kglad

Oooops. I really was being completely thick!

Didn't notice that the lines below the trace statements where the ones already in the code. Will try again.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2012 5:17 AM   in reply to TFreelander

O.k.

here is the output panel text that occurs at the moment I try to submit the answer to the question before the new slide:

[object Object],[object Object],[object Object],[object Object],[object Object],[object Object],[object Object],[object Object],[object Object],[object Object],[object Object] 3

[object MultipleChoice]

resultstring.toLowerCase() = correct

After this point I am no longer able to activate the submit button to submit answers to other questions.

If I ignore that question but submit the answer to the new question instead I get the following in the output panel:

[object Object],[object Object],[object Object],[object Object],[object Object],[object Object],[object Object],[object Object],[object Object],[object Object],[object Object] 4

null

at Untitled_fla::Tracking_Component_1/submitClicked()[Untitled_fla.Track ing_Component_1::frame1:235]

and Flash player stops responding.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,212 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Feb 3, 2012 8:16 AM   in reply to TFreelander

so, when you see that error, flash is telling you that:

this["question_mc_"+currentQuestion]

doesn't exist.

that means the first error should be the line:

when currentQuestion=5.  ie, there's no question_mc_5 that exists when that code executes.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2012 9:02 AM   in reply to kglad

Is that because, when I added another slide, I moved the position of the question that it refers to?

Similarly when I deleted a slide, I deleted the question it refers to.

If that is the case then I take it that I have to find where the question is tagged (or not tagged) as "question_mc_" and change the tagging or change the reference in the script to whatever it is tagged as.

Not entirely sure if I'm right here or even where to find the tagging but I'll have a play about and see what I can do.

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,212 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Feb 3, 2012 10:27 AM   in reply to TFreelander

i can't determine what you did to cause the problem.  question_mc_5 should be an object that's on-stage when your code executes.  if you have something that you think is question_mc_5, click on it (to selecte it) and check the properties panel.  the objects name should be listed at the top, question_mc_5.

because you removed and added things, it's possible you failed to notice what you removed had an instance name (in the properties panel) and you failed to assign an instance name to its replacement.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2012 11:00 AM   in reply to kglad

You're right. We were both saying the same thing in different ways but, when I added a frame, the new frame was not given a name. I named it and adjusted the names of all subsequent frames and that seems to have solved that particular issue. Unfortunately, it is still not working quite right but I had to leave my office before I could copy and paste the new message in the output panel (sending this from my tablet). I'll try again tomorrow and paste the message if I can't figure it out.

Thanks again for your help. Now can you fix the global economy and bring about world peace?

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,212 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Feb 3, 2012 12:41 PM   in reply to TFreelander

you're welcome.  (and, it's easier to debug flash apps than fixing anything in the real world.)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2012 10:19 AM   in reply to kglad

IT WORKS!!!

Re-installed it.Now everything works fine and easily (even on 64bit). It even works after it has been saved.

For those of you who are having trouble this is what I have learned over the past week.

Once you have followed the instructions that come with the eLearning Suite in order to add a blank key frame, the easiest thing to do is to copy one of the other frames and paste it into your blank key frame.

Then all you have to do is select the instructions that are placed next to the stage (ensure you have only the instructions selected and DO NOT break apart as this has already been done in the new templates).

With this selected you can adjust the component parameters under the properties tab.

With this still selected you MUST ensure you change the objects name to " question_mc_ (add number here) "  all of the numbers for this name must be in sequence across the frames.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2012 7:01 AM   in reply to TFreelander

I'm afraid that was a case of premature congratulation.

I have just realised that there are still some issues.

1. For some reason if you paste a duplicate frame directly next to it's parent frame the options are greyed out in the second frame so that you can not choose a new answer. If you keep the correct answer the same in the second slide, it is now possible to press submit, get a 'Correct answer' reply and score the points. However, if you change the correct answer in the component parameters you will get an 'Incorrect answer' response.
    2. If I paste the frame somwhere that is not next to the same type of question frame it works fine. I can even change the correct answer parameters and select new answers. However, if I then move it next to the same kind of question frame I get the same issue mentioned above.
    3. Also - and most troublesome of all - if I change the answers on any of the same kind of question frame, it changes the answers on all the frames. I, therefore, can not have frames with different questions on.

I know I am missing something but if I change the object name of the questions on the stage it makes no difference and if I try to duplicate the object in the library and paste the duplicate in its place it still makes no difference.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2012 5:36 AM   in reply to TFreelander

Hi to all.

I have still not been able to sort the above issues out.

1. Does anyone know how to place two similar frames next to each other and still be able to select options on the second frame?
    2. Does anyone know how to change the answers on one frame without the answer being changed on all similar frames?

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 2:41 PM   in reply to TFreelander

1. With regards to two similiar quiz type questions being next to each other has been a problem with the templates from back in the earlier days.  I was able to get around that by using two layers to place the frame objects on.  Say layer 3 and 4 create keyframes between the first ojbect location on frame 2 up until the frame before where the results are displayed.  The on layer 3, put frame objects on frame 2,4,5,6,etc, then on layer 4, put your frame objects on 3,5,7,9.  So between the two layers, the frame objects are not next to each other on the same layer but flow as if they was on layer and Flash will recognize them as seperate objects. 

2.  Haven't dealt with the AS3 version of the template objects, but in the older version you had to bring the object from the library on the stage.  THen the first thing you had to do was break it apart.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points