Skip navigation
WHGNET
Currently Being Moderated

Converting .docx merges to PDF is very slow.

Oct 27, 2010 9:47 AM

Hi all first post, so hello!

As the thread question states, I am trying to figure out creating PDFs from docx merges are very very slow to complete. We are using Adobe Acrobat 8, and Microsoft Word 2007 on Windows XP.

Before we upgraded to MS Office 2007 and the docx format, Acrobat 8 created PDF merges in the the 2003 .doc format just fine and was very quick. We can even created PDFs from .doc merges through Office 2007 and it is still works great and is super fast. But once we try a creating a PDF from a .docx merge, it crawls and is very slow, and is starting to be time consuming for the users. I checked out the 3-4 people that perform this function, and they all seem to have the same issue.  So i would guess this would have something to do with the .docx format and the way Adobe 8 interprets the format to create a PDF from it. The documents normally fall within the 1200-1500 page range.

Acrobat 8 has been updated with the latest program updates, but I am a loss as to why .doc's create so fast, but docx's are very very slow.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I tried to include all pertinent info you would need, if I left something out, please let me know.

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 27, 2010 1:59 PM   in reply to WHGNET

Acrobat doesn't interpret docx files. It passes them off to Word during the process of converting to pdf.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2011 10:49 PM   in reply to WHGNET

Bump.

Is there any solutions? When I merge docx documents to PDF my Word 2010 starts and creates the first pdf. When this is done Acrobat won't start to convert the second docx in the merge list. Acrobat seems to freeze, the loadbar on the first file in the merge dialog is full but the status remains on “converting”….

Pls assist.

Edit, I have Acrobat 9

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2011 3:39 AM   in reply to Jonas_P

I solved my problem. I updated the Acrobat pro 9 version several times, then I coppiend the job options according to the last step in this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/780318

Now Acrobat gently merges word files to one pdf, independent if it is Doc or Docx.

My system

Windows 7 64bit

Microsoft Office 2010 32bit

Acrobat Pro 9.4.1

I solved my problem. I updated the Acrobat pro 9 version several times, then I copied the job options according to the last step in this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/780318

Now Acrobat gently merges word files to one pdf, independent if it is Doc or Docx.

My system

Windows 7 64bit

Microsoft Office 2010 32bit

Acrobat Pro 9.4.1

Note: I read in another thread that if you have Micosoft Office 64bit, you may have serious problems with Acrobat 9.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points