Skip navigation
olson@echominnesota.org
Currently Being Moderated

Cambodian fonts won't work in inDesign CS5

Nov 2, 2010 2:27 PM

Hi! I am unable to get inDesign to replicate correct Cambodian fonts. I've downloaded a wide variety and though they are correct in word, they do not work in inDesign, the differences are very small, a few missing characters, incorrect symbols, etc.  I've attached a photo of what the font should look like (top) and what it comes through as in inDesign (bottom).  Look at line two, in inDesign note the missing j-like symbols and crosses that don't belong but are replacing something else. I feel like I've tried everything and nothing is working. Please help, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Cambodian font picture.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 2, 2010 3:34 PM   in reply to olson@echominnesota.org

Honestly, I'm a little reluctant to answer. Cambodian script is, without a doubt, just about as hard as it gets, in terms of DTP. Not only is the script itself mind-bogglingly challenging, but there is also a profusion of poorly encoded fonts. If you just downloaded some random fonts from the Web, then you may not even have correct display in Word. Are you sure that it's displaying correctly in Word?

Do you know whether you're using a true Unicode font, or one of those interim quasi-Unicode abortions, or a font in some other encoding? I'm guessing it's the last of these, but if you don't already know, then you are probably up the creek without a paddle.

Do you have the World-Ready Composer on? Do you know what it is?

Do you know if your linebreak in the title is valid?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2010 10:56 AM   in reply to olson@echominnesota.org

This one-line script will activate the World Ready composer for the selected text:

app.selection[0].composer = "$ID/HL Composer Optyca";

Harbs

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2010 2:40 PM   in reply to olson@echominnesota.org
    First, he sent it to me in the Khmer OS font and I got the missed characters and odd symbols in inDesign. Second, he re-wrote it and sent it to me in the Kh Moul font with the same results on my end.

Long story short - Unicode fonts like the KhmerOS font should work if the world-ready composer is on. I don't recognize "Kh Moul" but you can test to see if it should work. If you open up the Glyphs menu (Type -> Glyphs) and pick the Cambodian font of your choice, and then hold the mouse over a character, it should report the name of the character in a mouseover popup. If you see something like "LATIN CAPITAL LETTER OE" or something like that, or no character name at all, it means it's a bad font and cannot be trusted in InDesign. Most of the Cambodian fonts I've seen are font-hacks like this (where the English letter is erased and replaced with a Cambodian character). I've made those work in the past, but it usually requires editing the font.

Double whammy, I also need to make this work for chyron (television graphics). I'm hoping if I figure out inDesign, it will use the same fix.

The World-Ready Composer turns on some features of InDesign that allow it to support complex scripts like Cambodian, if the font is constructed correctly. It's a feature of InDesign, so if it works, you won't be able to assume that it will work in any other application. I searched the Chyron knowledge base and found nothing, but nothing, about Unicode or complex script fonts or anything like that. You'll probably need to make images of your text, so you will need to find out the target specifications from whomever is setting this up for you. If you have that spec but don't know what to do with it, I'm sure that we can help you figure out how to spit a file out of InDesign that the teevee people will be able to use.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2010 3:35 PM   in reply to olson@echominnesota.org

No problem at all; you're one of us. People who get to typeset the world's hardest <cough> coolest scripts are few and far between.

Installing scripts varies from version to version; here's a useful resource that will show you how to do it in any version of ID.

To make the one-liner that Harbs posted (thanks, Harbs!) into a script, you can just paste it into an empty raw text file (with e.g. Notepad) and save it. Then rename the file extension to .jsx. (Your computer might not be set up to show file extensions - just let us know if you have no idea what I'm talking about.)

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2011 3:23 PM   in reply to olson@echominnesota.org

I am curious, what kind of Khmer fonts are you using? ខ្ញុំប្រើ ខ្មែរយូនីខូដ អត់មានបញ្ហាអ្វីទេជាមួយអក្សរខ្មែរ ប្រសិនជាខ្ញុំសរសេរអក្សរខ្មែរ នៅលើឯកសារបង្កើតថ្មី ដោយប្រើ ID. SC5 តែម្តង។ ប៉ុន្តែបើសិនជាខ្ញុំចម្លងអត្ថបទពី ID. CS3 ឬក៏ចាស់ជាងនេះ ខ្ញុំនឹងមានបញ្ហា ដោយស្រះមួយចំនួននៅខុសកន្លែង ជាពិសេសទៅទៀត គឺខ្ញុំមិនអាចកែបាន។ ខ្ញុំចង់ដឹងថា តើលោកអ្នកដែលប្រើ ខ្មែរយូនីខូដ មានជួបបញ្ហាដូចខ្ញុំដែរឬទេ? បើមាន តើលោកអ្នកដោះស្រាយបញ្ហានេះដោយរបៀបណាដែរ? សូមលោកអ្នកជួយបំភ្លឺខ្ញុំផង។ ខ្ញុំសូមអរគុណទុកជាមុន។

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 7:38 AM   in reply to olson@echominnesota.org

I'm also dealing with a Khmer layout at the moment. I am already using the World-Ready composer which displays the symbols correctly. And thanks to this thread and another website (http://blogs.adobe.com/typblography/2011/11/how-to-enable-more-languag es-in-indesign-cs5-5.html#comments) I also installed the Khmer dictionary and tried a script but I still don't get the right hyphenation for my Khmer paragraphs since there is no Khmer hyphenation dictionary installed. Is such a dictionary available somewhere?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 10:37 AM   in reply to bastman99

Not so far as I know. Apparently Khmer Hunspell dictionaries don't work in InDesign. I don't know if the Khmer Hunspell dictionary has hyphenation support, but that'd be one of your only options. I suspect that you might be able to automate the addition of discretionary hyphens outside of ID before importing, but that might be your only option.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points