Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Open PDF 1.4 in Acrobat 9 and save as 1.4

Nov 4, 2010 12:17 PM

I am trying to resolve an issue where when I open a PDF in Acrobat 9 and then close the file after changes it will take a PDF 1.4 and make it a PDF 1.5. Is there any way to have Acrobat save the PDF files as the same version as was opened, by default? I need files which I have adjusted in Acrobat 9 to remain as PDF 1.4.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 4, 2010 12:49 PM   in reply to PrepressPro1

I'm not seeing the same thing. I took a 1.4 PDF, opened it with 9.4.0, edited it and did a save. When I look at the file with text edit is still shows as a PDF 1.4.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2010 2:51 PM   in reply to PrepressPro1

Looking at it there still says 1.4. Before I looked at it in a text editor.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2010 4:25 PM   in reply to PrepressPro1

I'm running 10.5.8 on a 3+ year old MacPro with Acrobat 9.4.0. I did just a Save on the file I tested not a Save As.  I just tried and doing a Save As returned a 1.6 file. Definately a problem. You may have to use the Optimizer to return the file to the 1.4 condition.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2010 9:15 AM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

Yes, it's a Save As that insidiously "upgrades" compatibility. That's a really bad scene when you're producing work for commercial press. Thanks for uncovering this!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2011 8:24 AM   in reply to PrepressPro1

If you have pitstop installed there is a pitstop preference to prevent the change.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2011 7:57 AM   in reply to Glenn McDowall

I've worked with PitStop, but never found this preference. I would appreciate a lot if you could trace the route to get it.

Other way to get it done —yes, it's annoying — is using the Pdf, Optimized/Settings… window, saving your preferences as a Settings preset clicking the save button and giving it a name —usually, you will prefer to keep everything as "Retain existing".

Pic 6.png

I found this issue not only as a save as matter, even if you perform a change in the existing number of the pages in the document or replacing some of it.

If you delete a page and just save the document, hit cmd+d (mac) and focus on Description tab to realize that the version has been updated to 1.6 too.

Hope this could help.

Alejandro

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2011 8:07 AM   in reply to Alejandro Zaragozaz

Acrobat > Preferences > Enfocus Pitstop Pro Preferences >

Processing (category) > Prevent the automatic increase of the pdf version when saving

Many years ago Save As a PDF was a real problem, since Save As invoked an automatic optimization of the file it was enough to mess up compatiblity with our out of date RIP at the time. there was also a sequence of steps where the fonts could could get really messed up. I've always got into the habit of duplicating and renaming the file in the Finder then using Save after Editing. Even today when I use  Optimizer to down-res and jpg PDFs for email approval, it messes up content occasionally.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points