Skip navigation
Lichtzeichenanlage
Currently Being Moderated

Is it possible to change metadata on an exported photo?

Nov 10, 2010 9:25 AM

Hi,

I want to change the metadata of an exported photo without manipulating the original photo. How can I do this

Rgds - Wilko

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 10, 2010 1:18 PM   in reply to Lichtzeichenanlage

There are plenty of tools to do that, some free some for small fee.  Exiftool is a free tool that probably will do the trick on a one-off basis.  If you plan on doing this on many images, or if this is a common thing you wish to do, you might want to consider a browser program that can batch change certain metadata such as the free browser like Microsoft Pro Photo Tools v2.  There are others as well.

If you are exporting images that intend to always add additional metadata to the original on export, you might need to have a simple export filter written using the SDK, geared towards your specific situation.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2010 1:47 PM   in reply to Lichtzeichenanlage

Lichtzeichenanlage wrote:

unless this is the sdk section of the forum, I think about a developed solution and not for some tools.

Indeed this is the SDK section of the forum, but that's OK.

Lichtzeichenanlage wrote:

No. I do not want to add or manipulate data to the original photo. I just want to apply metadata presets to the exported photo.

A post processing filter was my first thougt, but I need to have a photo object which is not available at that point

Maybe a workaround would be:

a.     Create a simple collection of images you are in need of exporting with the special export metadata,

b.     Select this collection, then all the images in the collection;

c.     Create a virtual copy of the images in the collection, then filter for only VCs in the collection;

d.     Apply the special export only metadata and export the VCs as you normally would export the images;

e.     Once the export process is complete, delete the VCs to avoid future confusion.

Not a great approach but something like that should get you where you want to be on this issue. An export filter applied after the JPEG is generated would accomplish the same thing but then it would require significant programming and doesn't allow you as much flexibility.

Good Luck!

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2010 3:01 PM   in reply to Lichtzeichenanlage

Collection preseter may help(?)

If you are willing to export back to the catalog, and you can define collections which take different metadata presets, the collection preseter will apply them automatically.

There is no facility to apply just to selected photos, yet, so the presets will be applied to all photos in the specified collections.

R

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2010 3:17 PM   in reply to Lichtzeichenanlage

Since you are a plugin writer, how about writing that export-filter - seems like a good idea.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2010 3:33 PM   in reply to Lichtzeichenanlage

If its an export filter, you don't have to add it to the catalog and delete it - that's the beauty of export filters: they apply to the exported photo on the way out the door...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2010 4:19 PM   in reply to Lichtzeichenanlage

I see where the confusion lies.

If you want to assign a metadata preset then the photo has to be in the catalog.

The export filter would allow you to wire-up exiftool to the photopath not in the catalog.

However, you can easily convert metadata presets for use with exiftool just be dofile-ing them, at which point the preset values will be in _G.s

I'm not sayin' it ain't a bit of work, but this the SDK forum, after all...

_R

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points