Skip navigation
TheGreenDesigner
Currently Being Moderated

Pasting Math Symbols from Word into Flex Showing Square Shapes

Nov 11, 2010 1:59 AM

Morning all,

I have just inheritted an issue with a flex app developed by someone who no longer works in my office and being the new guy I want to fix it.

Whenever users of the Flex app copy and paste text from a Microsoft Word document, which contains Maths sysmbols such as Ohm or Pi, they appear as little squares in the Flex textArea field.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,

TheGreenDesigner

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 11, 2010 9:19 AM   in reply to TheGreenDesigner

Typically, 'squares' are shown when the font that your Flex app is using does NOT support particular unicode symbol.

Hence, the solution - you need to embed the font that DOES support math symbols, for example DejaVu. Naturally, before deciding on particular font you want to check whether it supports the symbols that you need.

HTH,

FTQuest

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2010 2:04 AM   in reply to TheGreenDesigner

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2010 4:12 AM   in reply to TheGreenDesigner

Did you debug and see what is the value of the text property of the textarea?.How are the symbols appearing in the textarea when you do copy-paste?.Is it appearing as a blank space or nothing is there?.For eg: if $ is your symbol,A$A is shown as A A or AA?.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2010 10:54 PM   in reply to TheGreenDesigner

Can you share the font that you have been using,if that is ok for you and tell me the symbols you where having problems with and i will take a look into that.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2010 2:16 AM   in reply to TheGreenDesigner

I copied the symbols from a word document and pasted it in the RichTextEditor in the Flex 3 Component Explorer(http://examples.adobe.com/flex3/componentexplorer/explorer.html) and i was able to see them properly,with different fonts.Can you try pasting the symbols from your word doc into the RTE in the above link and see what happens.Also if you can paste the flex code you are seeing i will take a look into that.

Attaching the screenshot:

font_pro.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2010 6:10 AM   in reply to TheGreenDesigner

It was a typo.Actually I meant 'flex code you are using'.:).Coming back to your problem,the only reason I think is causing the problem is with the word doc you are using.Even i used word 2007.Did the symbols I used in my screenshot worked well for you?.Try with a new word doc and copy paste symbols from that,because i have faced problems pasting from word docs(junk characters were present)into a html textfield.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points