Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Incorrect Page Size or Orientation Error Detected in Live Preflight

Nov 13, 2010 3:45 AM

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 12:16:40 PM PST

I am trying to prepare a newsletter created in Adobe InDesign to send to a Printer in Germany.  This is the first time I'm sending a document to press since moving to Germany last February and the first time since upgrading my computer and software to:

MacBookPro: Model 5,3

Adobe InDesign:  ver. 6.0.6

Adobe Acrobat Pro:  ver. 9.4.0

The standard paper size in Europe is "A4" , slightly larger than our "Letter" size. Document was set up an "A4" document size. A4 is also selected on the Print menu.

Live Preflight shows "incorrect page size or orientation" and says:

Required: 612 pt. x 792 pt.

Current: 595.276 pt. x 841.89 pt.

Fix: Choose File/ Document Setup to specified required page size.

I tried changing the document setup to the "required" 612 x 792, and the document was squeezed into the smaller space, ruining the document formatting! I undid the damage and looked further for the incorrect preference setting.

There is a wrong setting somewhere, but I can't find it.

Distiller is rejecting the document and won't generate a PDF. The only other errors detected in Preflight were RGB color space issues.

All settings in InDesign Preferences, Print Menu and PDF generator are set for the size A4, yet Preflight insists that the Document

Size and Orientation are incorrect and suggests changing the size to 612 pt. x 792 pt.

I also noted that when setting up the PDF, I did not check "Optimized for Fast Web Viewing," yet when I generated the PDF, it "Optimized for Fast Web Viewing." It seems that there is some preference somewhere that is overriding my selections. But where....?!

I was able to generate a PDF from InDesign (without going through Distiller) and the printer was able to use the PDF.  I was taught to always use Distiller when submitting files to printers, and to "package" the files.  Is there some risk in sending files without using Distiller?

In addition to the page size/orientation issue, Europe has different standards for color space and printers' ink also. If anyone could shed some light on how I should adapt to European standards, I would be grateful.

I was disappointed that Adobe offered only paid support, although I purchased Adobe CS4 less than a year ago. For such an expensive

product, I would think free support would be available for at a minimum one year.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 13, 2010 6:02 AM   in reply to Stormcloud492

Your document was set up correctly, and the sizes listed inthe preflight warning are correct for A4. The preflight profile is probably set up to look for the dimensions of a letter size page. you can change them or ignore it.

Preflight Page Size.png

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2010 10:00 AM   in reply to Stormcloud492

...??? That Distiller message indicates you are throwing your InDesign file onto it. Distiller can only distill PS files.

Why not use Export to PDF?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2010 8:52 PM   in reply to Stormcloud492

Preflight has no bearing whatever on wheter a file will print or export. It's just a tool to check for possible problems so you can fix them if you choose to do so.

SOme problems are fatal, some inconsequential, and if your files fails ift's because of the problem that preflight may or may not have reported, not the from the process of finding and reporting it. The file will behave exactly the same if Preflight is turned off.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points