Skip navigation
TLCom
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 Selects Wrong Printer

Nov 14, 2010 3:58 PM

My Platform:

HP Pavilion HPE-137c(2.50 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad)

Windows 7 Home Premium 7(64bit build 7600)

8gb RAM

1tb Hard Drive

HP Officejet 6500 e709a

My Problem:

I select the following printer(Image 1), but Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 always tries to use the printer named HP Officejet 6500 E709a - Send Fax(Image 2), which isn't even installed on my system(Image 3)

Image 1

Printer Selection.jpg

Image 2

Wrong Printer.jpg

Image 3

Defined Printers.jpgOfficejet.jpg

I have uninstalled and reinstalled print drivers and Adobe Photshop Elements to no avail.  All other software prints OK.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 14, 2010 4:15 PM   in reply to TLCom

I assume that you trying to print from Editor. What happens when you try to print from Organizer?

Others have reported problems like this, esp. with HP equipment. One person puchased an Epson printer to replace the HP, and reported no further problems.

I have PSEv.8 and WINDOWS 7, and a Lexmark printer. I did have to install updated drivers to make it work properly.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2010 5:16 PM   in reply to TLCom

Sorry, did not realize that this is a new problem. Perhaps someone else will come along with a fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2010 5:30 PM   in reply to TLCom

Check to see what your default printer is in Windows. I seem to remember this happening when the fax is set as the default there, but I could be wrong about that, but it seems to me that changing the default printer stops the fax from being chosen in PSE 8. Anyway, it has come up before and is fixable, so hopefully someone else who remembers what to do will be along.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2010 3:27 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

Go and rename your printer with different name like 'HP my own printer' or any other name as per you and and try printing with the same. The issue may be due to same number of characters in printer and fax name for first 30-32 positions. This was issue once. Please try.

Thanks,

Garry

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2010 6:35 AM   in reply to TLCom

Hi, your last reply was blank.

-Garry

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2011 11:57 AM   in reply to TLCom

I too am experiencing this very same problem with an HP OfficeJet Pro 8500.

Everything worked well with all applications, then one day PE8 would only select the fax, not the printer no matter how I made printer choices.

All other applications, including other Adobe applications, continue to work appropriately.

PE8 and the same printer work well on other computers on the same network; only this one PC affected.

I have reinstalled both the PE8 and printer software. Nothing seems to fix this issue.

It has been awhile since your post and last response ... any solution?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2011 6:18 AM   in reply to TLCom

You can try uninstalling the printer or HP drivers altogether and then install only printer drivers of the printer you are using to help me find why the issue is occuring at your end where as it is not at issue at my end with so many printer drivers installed.

ALternatively renaming the issue helped once in past and not sure but since you already mentioned that it did not workeid in your case so probably you can try once and then relaunch and then check.

Also make some other printer like adobe pdf etc a default printer and then try printing after choosing this HP printer.

Let me know your comments.

Thanks,

Garry

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2011 4:55 PM   in reply to TLCom

I'm having the same problem in PE9 using a HP OfficeJet Pro 8500.  I can print in Organizer.  When I change the printer setting in Edit (File/Print/Page Setup) it changes back to the Fax selection when I try to print.  Any ideas?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 6:10 AM   in reply to TLCom

Hi TLCom,

Thanks for the info. Seems like some issue with printer manufacturer.

Guys,

Please try following the steps and resolution thing as mentioned here and see if issue is solved with the printers.

Thanks,

Garry

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 6:30 AM   in reply to ukgaurav

Doubtful that I can add much, but here is what finally worked for me:

I deleted (removed) the Fax version of my printer (which I never use) leaving only this version:

Printer.JPG

I can still use the fax from other PCs and from the printer itself ...just not from the one PC that had the issue.

I got this idea from another thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3219193#3219193

This thread also suggests renaming the Fax version of the printer may work as well as deleting it. Both ideas (deleting or renaming) apparantly worked for many who had this complaint but not everyone.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2011 6:52 AM   in reply to ukgaurav

Renaming the printer worked - thanks so much!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points