Skip navigation
Nicketlareriksen
Currently Being Moderated

Audio levels drops to half

Nov 15, 2010 11:46 AM

Hi again,

I am going nuts on something that I've spent too many hours on now. Sometimes audio levels drop to about half on export or even playing in PP on rendered files. I can't figure out why as if I scrub back and try again, many times it plays fine.

I have 11 Layers of HD footage with clips linked to after effects etc. and 6 layers of audio. Everything is rendered and exporting gives me the same wierd audio level drops. It always happens between clips (in the beginning of the next clip) but not always. It drops to about half for a few seconds and always to the same level.

I should say that have exported this very project several times during making it without changing problem areas "audio" but as it builds up I am getting problems - is it too heavy to handle or what it going on? This is not the first time I have encountered this problem. Problem areas have only 2 layers of audio tracks playing at the same time.

Exporting audio without video gives same result. Anybody have any suggestions?

Kind regards,

Nick

MAC, i5 12GB RAM, CS5

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 15, 2010 12:06 PM   in reply to Nicketlareriksen

Can you post a screen-cap of your Timeline, highlighting the points where the Audio drops? Might be something obvious there.

Also, can you give the specs. of those Audio files?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2010 2:51 PM   in reply to Nicketlareriksen

Does the issue happen every time, or is it random when it happens?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2010 3:15 PM   in reply to Nicketlareriksen

Thank you for the screen-cap.

Does Enya drop down in Level too, or just the narration WAV files?

Also, is there any chance that you have some Track Keyframes in that Audio Track, though you should hear those, in playback.

When you do playback with the Audio Mixer open, do you see anything out of the ordinary, with the sliders, or the Levels meters?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2010 4:04 PM   in reply to Nicketlareriksen

Nick,

Going back to the Audio Mixer, you saw the -30dB drop in the Levels meters, correct? Did you notice the sliders moving at all?

Interesting problem, but good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2010 4:19 PM   in reply to Nicketlareriksen

No, all is as it should be, and additionally indicates that you do not have any Track Keyframes set.

This one really has me baffled. Hope that others have some useful ideas. Thanks for the info and screen-caps.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] On, and Enya's Level's are fine in that area, correct?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2010 4:57 PM   in reply to Nicketlareriksen

Nick,

Maybe not very useful info here, but an advice...

Being a native user of æ, ø and å when it comes to talking and writing, I have learned long time ago that using such (æ. ø, å) in file names (or in anything purely computer related) is something that causes hick-ups now and then.

PS! "Half" when it comes to sound is -3 or -6 dB (dependent on sound power or sound level)

Dag

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2010 5:54 PM   in reply to Nicketlareriksen

OK, thanks. So the other Audio Track is fine, just this one?

As a test, check that you have clean, unused Audio Track of the proper channel-count (even adding one if necessary), place the CTI at the beginning of that series of Clips, and then lasso them. Move them to the blank Audio Track, with Snap ON, and test.

Sorry that nothing is just jumping off the screen for me.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2010 6:41 PM   in reply to Nicketlareriksen
    I still have a feeling that the DeNoiser might cause an issue

I would agree.  Remove the effect and clean up the clips in Soundbooth.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2010 7:09 PM   in reply to Jim Simon
    I still have a feeling that the DeNoiser might cause an issue

I would agree.  Remove the effect and clean up the clips in Soundbooth.

I'll triple up on that. The DeNoiser effect works (near as I can tell) by having some "run in" audio to work with; basically, it's analyzing on the fly, trying to establish a noise floor. When you have silence before the clip, the effect thinks that's what the level of the following clip should be, so it clamps down the levels in an effort to crush what it construes as noise. A lot of times, the effect will work just fine if you start playback somewhere after the beginning of the clip, but anywhere before, and you get the unwanted attenuation.

That's been my rather unsuccessful experience with that particular effect...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2010 7:11 AM   in reply to Colin Brougham

Good thinking Colin!

For any noise removal, I always head directly to Audition, sample that "noise floor," and then process the whole stream. I can see where the ramped Volume could well throw an "auto" Effect off.

Way to go!!!!! I think that you nailed it.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2010 7:16 AM   in reply to Nicketlareriksen

Nick,

Thanks for the question, and all of the discussion that followed. I have something new in my "toolkit," and can now help out better, thanks to you and to Colin.

If you do much of this sort of work, and do not have Adobe Audition (soon to be ported for the Mac too), I highly recommend it. General noise reduction is really quite easy, and beyond the "simple stuff," it offers a fabulous array of tools. Though I am anything BUT an Audio Guy, I could not live without it. Have not seen SoundBooth, since beta, so it might have added many of the features of Audition, but the latter is my go-to program.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I am going to add a link to this thread, for my article on "Noise Removal," as it will likely help others - again, a big thank you!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2010 3:17 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I started out an audio guy by trade, and it's been my experience that "auto" denoiser filters never work well. I started out using ProTools, but sold it along with my studio several years ago when I moved exclusively to video and web production. I've not used Audition, though I've heard and seen good things about it. I'm very unimpressed with the capability of SoundBooth, however. My go-to program now, for doing audio work of any kind, is a free open-source program called Audacity. It has a very good denoiser filter (called "Noise Removal" IIRC) and would probably serve you well if you can't afford Audition...

I wonder why, with everything else that's included in the Master Collection, they don't include Audition too?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points