Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Help (F1) function not working

Nov 16, 2010 7:14 AM

Acrobat 9.0:  Trying to use the in-software help, I get only a basic introductory web page.  No real contents or searchable help.

Is this normal, or is it broken.  How to fix it?  ("repair acrobat" from the help menu did not fix it.)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 16, 2010 11:51 AM   in reply to BunchL

I have a similar problem:

I just installed Adobe Pro X.  When I click on the Adobe Acrobat X Help (or F1) it attempts to connect via the Internet.  The application gives a message that the program is not responding and within a minute's time the following error message is presented:

Online Help content cannot be displayed. Verify you can launch your web browser and have access to the Internet.

I do not get a blocked message from WebSense (our filtering service), and Internet access is fine.  I’ve contacted Adobe, trying to find out if they know what the problem is.  The link that the program is trying to access is http://help.adobe.com/en_US/acrobat/pro/using/index.html, which I can type into the browser and access it fine.  Just not from the application.  We ran the repair utility for the program and it did not fix the problem.  They’ve opened a case file and have to research the problem.

I've asked my IT department for assistance in trapping the information sent to the Internet, and what port it is trying to use.  I'll post anything new that we find.

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2010 8:11 AM   in reply to BunchL

Which version of Acrobat 9 are you using??

Can you please post a snapshot of the file that you get when you invoke help from Help menu??

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2010 8:29 AM   in reply to soberoi

Acrobat X, not 9.  The problem lies in the I.E 8 Security settings for accessing information accross domains. I changed 3 settings and got it to work, then changed them back one at a time, and connot duplicate the problem.  I have to install it on a co-worker's computer and then change them one at a time to determine which one actually cures the problem.  Now, kicking myself for not changing one at a time...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2010 10:57 PM   in reply to BunchL

Which browser are you using? Acrobat supports IE and Firefox. Chrome and other browsers are not supported. Do you see the issue in IE/Firefox?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2010 7:13 AM   in reply to AmbooS

Am using IE 8, 32 bit.  All the other links work, just not the online Help.  I haven't tried running IE 7 or IE 7 compatability mode yet.  I could not get it to work at all yesterday.  It's a shame that the Developer tool only works after IE has been launched.  It's also a shame that the Adobe tech kept putting me on hold to ask someone else everytime their ideas failed to resolve the issue, and it's been 3 days with no contact from them after telling me that I'd hear from them within 48 hours.

Uninstalling the application and reinstalling it did not resolve the issue either.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2010 9:28 PM   in reply to Brian Baldwin

Brian: You said you got it working when you changed IE settings. Could you tell some more details of your machine configuration: which OS? Acrobat/Reader?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2010 7:58 AM   in reply to AmbooS

Windows 7 - 32 Bit, IE 8.  I changed settings like able to Navigate windows and frames accross domains.  No matter what I change nowI cannot get it to work.  I've even added *adobe.com as a trusted site, without requiring HTTPS.

I have Acrobat Pro X and Reader 9 is installed for testing forms.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2010 12:04 PM   in reply to BunchL

The Adobe case number that I was given did not show up in their system, nor was there any record of my contacting them on 11/16, hence, no return phone call.  This is not the first time that a customer service rep has done this to me.  In my experience most of the first level techs are not up to speed for truobleshooting anything outside of the most rudimentary problems.  They continually put you on hold or mute while they ask someone else for advice, and keep doing this over and over as the suggestions fail, and then tell you that they'll call back.

The woman I spoke with today was very professional, but it was the same scenario.  Here is what was done and what has been found so far:

I tried unchecking the Proxy server in IE 8 and the Adobe Help still did not work.

Restored Advanced Setting in IE8.

Adobe had me install Mozilla Firefox and try Acrobat Pro vers. X and it failed the same as IE 8.

Adobe Reader vers. 9 worked fine opening the online Help with IE 8 while I was on the phone with them.

I installed Adobe Reader X, and it too fails.

Adobe told me that they use ports other than port 80, but could not tell me which port they use. They have requested a Network Log and created a FTP folder to drop it into.  Alternately, they said we could use a Process Monitor, either Wireshark or Fiddler.

Adobe has changed something in version X in the way that it accesses the Internet for Help and it no longer works on our network.  What has changed apparently has not been documented well, and here we are back on the "bleeding edge" and with customer service left without a clue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2011 3:10 PM   in reply to Brian Baldwin

I don't suppose there are any updates to this?

I have the same problem as Brian, with the 'not responding' message, then 'help cannot be displayed. check you can connect to the internet' error.

I tried switching to IE8 as the default and changing the 'navigate windows and frames across domains' setting, but no luck.

Amebr

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2011 3:20 PM   in reply to Amebr

Amebr, this is something that has changed in version X, both the Reader and Pro.  I still have not heard anything from Adobe since uploading the files that they requested back on November 22, 2010.  Talk about your black hole!  They told me that they use "several ports" to go out to the Internet, but could not be any more specific than that.  I have determined that the problem lies in whatever Adobe did, and how our coprpoarte network handles it.  The Help function works if I connect to the Internet via tethered access from my cell phone.  It also works from home.  My IT depart says that it is not a priority with them, so I'm stuck.  I did find a copy of the Help document on the Internet and use that as a work-around.  The sad part is that the rest of our organization uses Blue Beam, and this problem is one of reasons that I will be forced to abandon Adobe altogether at the end of my department's maintenance contract.

Too bad Adobe.  Good product.  Bad support.

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2011 4:21 PM   in reply to Brian Baldwin

Thanks for that. If Adobe do happen to contact you with a solution (maybe they'll be back from holidays soon...) could you post it here? I assume we don't have a support plan, as that wasn't suggested as an optin by my IT guys, and calling Adobe from the other side of the world is problematic anyway.

Regards,

Amebr

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2011 5:23 PM   in reply to Amebr

I don't think the holiday was their problem. If we ever get a resolution I will be sure and post it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2011 6:21 PM   in reply to Brian Baldwin

I know, just being overly optimistic. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 2:26 AM   in reply to Amebr

I've just started looking into deploying Reader X and come up against the same problem as Brian. It's not a major issue as I doubt any of our users would use Adobe Reader's help. I'd be interested to hear what options you tried adjusting in IE to get it to work (once).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2011 8:19 AM   in reply to BunchL

I have been having this same issue with Acrobat X on our network and we are getting ready to roll it out to 2000 users.

I contacted Adobe Support but they weren't really of any help so I sent a bug report yesterday.  By the time I came to work today, I had a response from them.  Here is the information they provided:

Hello Sonya,

This is a know limitation with Acrobat X behind an authenticating proxy. Although the documents references are for CS5 they apply to Acrobat X as well since they use the same technology for Help. Here are some things to try:

Issue

Error "Online Help content cannot be displayed. Verify you can launch your web browser and have access to the Internet" when accessing help in Acrobat X.

Solution

Make the help contents available off-line. See KB http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/849/cpsid_84992.html
    Access online help directly in a browsers at: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/acrobat/pro/using/index.html
    Note the 'en_US' part of the link takes you to the English help file. Replace this with a different locale to go to that language version of the help. For example, to go to the French version of the help replace en_US with fr-FR like this: http://help.adobe.com/fr_FR/acrobat/pro/using/index.html

A list of available locales can be found here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\HelpCfg. The folder names in the HelpCfg are the names of the locales which can be used.

Download the PDF version of the help from http://help.adobe.com/en_US/acrobat/pro/using/acrobat_X_pro_help.pdf See above for how to obtain different language versions of this PDF

Additional information

Acrobat X uses a new help client to display the Help contents. If this client is prevented from checking online it will give the error: "Online Help content cannot be displayed. Verify you can launch your web browser and have access to the Internet."

One reason the Help client is blocked from going online is when a (authenticating) proxy is used. Currently the help client is not compatible with such a proxy.

After reading the information provided, I searched for the Help Client and it wasn't on my computer.  I downloaded and installed "Adobe Community Help Client" from the link below.  Apparently, the Help Client is part of the installation for the CS5 Suite of products but not part of just Adobe Reader X or Acrobat X installations. 

http://www.adobe.com/support/chc/

After installing the Help Client, I opened it and changed the preferences to open Help in the browser instead of the Help client. It takes a while to download the file to a local cache and then it opens in IE.

adobe community help client.gif

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2011 8:41 AM   in reply to SONYA_RAY

Thank you Sonya.  That is the best information we've seen from Adobe thus far.  Albiet, not the one we wanted.

I had downloaded the Help document a few weeks ago and use a local copy.  I also checked in on my service ticket and found that Adobe had closed it, even though the ball was in their court.  I opened another ticket online stating that their actions and lack of response is completely unaceptable.  Unfortunately, they've gotten to be just like the "telephone company", a 600 pound gorilla with a "We don't care, we don't have to." attitude.

My organization has over 1,000 users.  We are migrating to Blue Beam due to Adobe's high cost, and the less than adequate support.

Best of luck,

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2011 8:52 AM   in reply to SONYA_RAY

By the way, the document that I found onlind via a Google search is titled 'Using ADOBE ACROBAT PRO X', dated 11/14/2010.  It is a stand-alone document and does not appear to be parsed out of any other manual.

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2011 1:00 PM   in reply to Brian Baldwin

There is also a technical note to help address this issue:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/888/cpsid_88831.html

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 7:53 AM   in reply to BunchL

I've got this same problem here with Acrobat Pro X.

The workaround Adobe give is all very well,

but Distiller is also broken in the same way -

does anyone have direct link on the Adobe site to the "Distiller Parameters Guide" for release X ?

I did search on Adobe's site for 20 minutes or so but couldn't find it.

Distiller doesn't even give the dialog about not being able to connect to the Interweb - it just fails silently - nothing happens when you click on the entries in the Help menu.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 9:14 AM   in reply to feline_1973

The easiest thing to do is search for a downloadable copy of the Help document.  I just found one here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/50562995/acrobat-X-pro-help.  The other workaround that I did was to create a Favorites Tab in IE 8 that links to the online help file. http://help.adobe.com/en_US/acrobat/pro/using/index.html

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 9:21 AM   in reply to feline_1973

Feline,

I have the Help function working on my laptop and the Distiller Help

links, including the Distiller Parameters Guide, all go to the same

Acrobat X Pro Help file.

Sonya Ray

To:     KAYLA BURDETTE <sonya.ray@bpd.treas.gov>

Date:   03/16/2011 10:53 AM

Subject:        Re: Help (F1) function not working Help (F1) function not working

I've got this same problem here with Acrobat Pro X.

The workaround Adobe give is all very well,

but Distiller is also broken in the same way -

does anyone have direct link on the Adobe site to the "Distiller

Parameters Guide" for release X ?

I did search on Adobe's site for 20 minutes or so but couldn't find it.

Distiller doesn't even give the dialog about not being able to connect to

the Interweb - it just fails silently - nothing happens when you click on

the entries in the Help menu.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 9:30 AM   in reply to SONYA_RAY

The Distiller Parameters Guide (containing detailed info on what every setting in the Job Options do) has always been a seperate document in the past, and I do not see it included in the "Using Adobe Acrobat X Pro" help PDF you refer to.

When you select Help > Distiller Parameters Guide from within Distiller, does it open the help file at a particular chapter?

Or is the Help link in the applicaiton pointing to the wrong place?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 9:53 AM   in reply to feline_1973

It did not open to a particular place, just to the index:

Sonya Ray

To:     KAYLA BURDETTE <sonya.ray@bpd.treas.gov>

Date:   03/16/2011 12:31 PM

Subject:        Re: Help (F1) function not working Help (F1) function not working

The Distiller Parameters Guide (containing detailed info on what every

setting in the Job Options do) has always been a seperate document in the

past, and I do not see it included in the "Using Adobe Acrobat X Pro" help

PDF you refer to.

When you select Help > Distiller Parameters Guide from within Distiller,

does it open the help file at a particular chapter?

Or is the Help link in the applicaiton pointing to the wrong place?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points