Skip navigation
carloaflores
Currently Being Moderated

After Effects Freezes on Rendering, NEED HELP

Nov 17, 2010 12:00 AM

Hey everyone. So I'm on the verge of tears because After Effects CS5 is having a huge lag in rendering. I recently installed the whole CS5 Master Collection, and I found there was a slight lag in opening it, updating the preferences, and even closing out of the program. But didn't think anything of it. Often times I've gotten hung up on the beach ball of death.

I went for the first time to render things, which an identical comp in AE CS4 rendered out lightening fast, but in CS5 the same comp took about 5 minutes of sitting on the beach ball before it even started rendering and then another 5 minutes of more beach ball fun to finally finish. I'm on a Mac and my system stats are as follows:

Processor: 2x3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Memory: 18 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

OSX 10.5.8

After Effects CS5 10.0.1.19

I thought it was some type of DivX issue, and deleted anything relating to that, but it didn't help. Whatever help anybody could provide as to the culprit would be appreciative. It's got me pretty freaked out...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 17, 2010 9:02 AM   in reply to carloaflores

try upping the ram to 2 or 3 GB...

search on after effects memory settings by Todd...  It helped me with this issue.

10.5.8??

I'd take that horse drawn carriage straight to the flying car shop.  Time for an upgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2010 8:39 AM   in reply to carloaflores

What are your Memory & Multiprocessing preference settings? A screenshot of the Preferences dialog box would probably be the best way to answer that.

What kinds of source footage are you using? What are the details of the composition that you're rendering that is causing problems? Do all compositions cause this problem? Try a simple composition with just a solid-color layer and see if that causes the same problem.

Are you running security/antivirus software? The reason that I ask this is that some rather aggressive software of that sort can interfere with the operation of After Effects CS5 and Premiere Pro CS5, both by blocking certain components from communicating and by delaying some actions as each write to the hard disk is monitored.

What other software are you running at the same time?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2010 8:52 AM   in reply to carloaflores

The first thing I'd do is make sure that Multiprocessing is turned off. Don't think that 10.5 handles it well. Also make sure that you don't have open gl rendering turned on.

The second thing I'd consider is upgrading the OS to 10.6.5

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2010 10:51 AM   in reply to carloaflores

Please answer all of my questions when you get back to your computer.

> And lastly, I've actually heard 10.6.5 has had problems with CS5

Please provide links to where you got that information. We would be very interested to know about such problems.

10.5.8 is still a 64-bit supported OS, so why would an OS upgrade really make a difference?

Apple made lots of improvements since 10.5.8, including better handling of memory.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2010 11:15 AM   in reply to carloaflores

>

http://appletoolbox.com/2010/06/photoshop-cs5-after-effects-freeze-und er-mac-os-x-10-6-4-adobe-blames-apple/

This is what I've read, After Effects freezing under 10.6.5.

The article is about 10.6.4. 10.6.4 had a bug. It's fixed in 10.6.5.(Actually, it was fixed in a patch to 10.6.4, as stated here.)

How do you conclude from this article that 10.6.5 causes problems?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2010 12:52 PM   in reply to carloaflores

Did you turn off multiprocessing?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2010 8:34 AM   in reply to carloaflores

> Why have two options available if it's going to lead to problems, and people have to end up turning them off?

They're both useful in some cases but not in all cases. That's why they're exposed as options.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2012 3:41 PM   in reply to carloaflores

You may want to fiddle with your output settings.  I was rendering to h.264 and experienced serious lag followed by a crash when rendering.  After setting the audio output to 44.1khz instead of 48, it rendered fine.  There are definitely hardware-related bugs with this software.  What you are experiencing sounds very much like a RAM, or Video Card related issue. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points