Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Dreamweaver CS5 Crashes when switching to split view

Nov 18, 2010 10:05 AM

This is a long standing bug, that for some reason Adobe can't seem to fix. It started with CS4, and remains in CS5.  Typically when looking at certain .aspx pages, when switching from design view to split view Dreamweaver will crash. Anyway, thanks to some investigation back in CS4, and a keen Dreamweaver user (jplaguna) we can all get back to working normally.  I thought I would repost this for anyone struggling with the issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------

The problem is with Dreamweaver's "Translators" - whatever those are?  Anyway, you simply rename that folder and your problems go away.

Here's the fix:

Go to the following folder and rename it as such:

rename  c:\program files\adobe\adobe dreamweaver  cs4\configuration\translators    TO    c:\program files\adobe\adobe  dreamweaver cs4\configuration\translators-bak

After this, you should be all set.  The original post is at:  http://forums.adobe.com/message/2324373

Hope this helps anyone struggling with this issue.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 21, 2010 10:39 AM   in reply to Arghhhhh!!!

This is a long standing bug, that for some reason Adobe can't seem to fix. It started with CS4, and remains in CS5.  Typically when looking at certain .aspx pages, when switching from design view to split view Dreamweaver will crash. Anyway, thanks to some investigation back in CS4, and a keen Dreamweaver user (jplaguna) we can all get back to working normally.  I thought I would repost this for anyone struggling with the issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------

The problem is with Dreamweaver's "Translators" - whatever those are?  Anyway, you simply rename that folder and your problems go away.

Sorry to hear that you've been having this problem. I'm glad that you found a way to work around the problem.

Translators are the code that recognizes certain pieces of server-side code so that you can select and manipulate them in DW. Turning them off disables features like Server Behaviors. Also, you can be more strategic by simply renaming the Translator for ASP.Net here:

c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS4\configuration\Translators\ASP.Net.htm

Rename it to something like:

ASP.Net.disable_htm

Then you'll need to restart DW. This will disable the Translator for only ASP.Net, not all of the other Server Models.

Can you post a .zip file with a page that causes the crash? I didn't see one in the original forum thread.

Hope this helps,

Randy Edmunds

Dreamweaver Development

Adobe Systems, Inc.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2011 11:01 PM   in reply to Arghhhhh!!!

Anyone know a fix for this problem with a Mac?  I finally got DW to stop crashing on start-up, and now I can't look at the code.  I was using it just fine a few months ago

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2011 1:03 PM   in reply to AngryWithDW

any updates on this problem. My Snow Leopard install of CS5 is doing this constantly. I can't switch from CODE|PREVIEW|SPLIT and can't click on anything within the preview screen.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2011 5:58 PM   in reply to SexyWebHead

Nope.  I finally had to uninstall and reinstall the software, and that got it working again.  At least for now.

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2013 7:28 AM   in reply to Randy Edmunds

November 2013... worked for me.  Thanks!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points