Skip navigation
GoTv
Currently Being Moderated

Nvidia FX5000M & Mercury Playback Engine Not Compatible?

Nov 21, 2010 1:11 AM

Please help me. I have just spent an enormous amount of cash buying an HP Elite Book (Dream Color) with an Nvidia FX5000M graphics chip. I have checked Nvidia's site downloaded and clean installed the latest driver and while I was there checked that it is CS5 approved...it is,  but Adobe Premiere just does not see it, so frustrating. In the sequence settings the Mercury Engine check box is grayed out and I'm at a complete loss as what to do or even who to speak to. The purpose of buying this hugely expensive laptop is because of the Mercury Engine and the implementation of the FX5000M chip, did I get this wrong, maybe it doesn't support the mobile version. I must say that I have gone to manage 3D settings in the Nvidia Control Panel and selected Adobe CS4 because CS5 did not show is that the problem? I so hope someone can help me over this bump in the road.

Many thanks, Jennifer

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 21, 2010 1:14 AM   in reply to GoTv

Jennifer,

Navigate to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and open the cuda_supported_cards.txt file with Notepad.

Insert a new line with the exact identification that GPUSniffer.exe in the same directory shows. It may be something like:

"Quadro 5000M" and then save the file and restart PR.

Otherwise search for 'hack' and you will find numerous posts.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2010 3:12 AM   in reply to GoTv

Go to Start, CMD.exe, navigate to the directory where GPUSniffer.exe is located and run the program, like shown here:

Sorry, the Adobe server is playing it's tricks again, I'll post the screenshot later.

21-11-2010 11-54-45.jpg

Then just press Enter to execute the program.

Your screen will look similar to this one:

21-11-2010 12-03-02.jpg

Now enter that exact string with the correct capitalization and spaces into the cuda_supported_cards.txt file on a new line, save the file and restart PR.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2010 4:26 AM   in reply to GoTv

Jennifer,

Try only the following string: "Quadro 5000M" without NVIDIA. If that does not work, you have no alternative than to log in as Administrator, or at least with full administrative rights and then run GPUSniffer.exe. I only have a 480, so I can't tell you the exact string you need to enter.

PS: Just saw your post. Good to see that it works now. My initial guess in post #1 about the string was pretty accurate, don't you think?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2010 9:29 AM   in reply to GoTv

> I have checked Nvidia's site downloaded and clean installed the latest driver and while I was there checked that it is CS5 approved

Please give a link to the page that you're referring to that told you that the 5000M was supported for CUDA acceleration by the Mercury Playback Engine in Premiere Pro CS5. It is not.

This page has the list of all cards for which that feature is supported:

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/

The 5000M is not listed on that page. I also couldn't find any page on the NVIDIA website that said that this card was supported for this feature.

Note that if you use the hack that Harm described, you are on your own regarding technical issues, and Adobe Technical Support will not be able to help you with anything.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points