Skip navigation
Hjordreid
Currently Being Moderated

How to completely delete Photoshop Elements from my computer??

Nov 22, 2010 5:23 AM

Hi

I am trying to completely remove Photoshop Elements from my computer.   So far, I have failed in my attempts to do this.   The reason I'm doing this is b/c for some reason that I can't fathom, the folders in My Pictures -- the folders named by shot date -- contain random duplicates.When this happens, the file names folow the convention of DSC_0222 and DSC_0222-1. Exactly the same file size and metadata.  In some folders, every picture is duplicated. In other folders, only selected pitcures within the folder are duplicated.   I can't figure out how they got there -- e.g. it doesn't seem to bear any connection to the photos I've edited, which was one theory I had for a while.   Is Elements responsible? Or is this some sort of bug in the download process from the camera (I have a Nikon D40).  Anyway, I've given up on trying to sovle this problem and decided I would go back to the beginning and reload everything from my camera.   So, my real question here is about how to completely uninstall Elements.

Here's what I did:    I uninstalled Photoshop Elements through the Add/remove programs utility.  I got no errors during the uninstall process.   Then I completely deleted the My Pictures directory (don't worry -- I have it backed up in multiple places!!).   So, at this point there are *no* pictures on my computer at all.    I reinstall Elements, open it up and -- you guessed it!!! -- the catalog is still there with all the thumbnails of the pictures that i deleted from my hard disk.   Of course, each thumbnail is flagged as "Missing File".

So, how do I uninstall/reinstall Elements and get it to forget all memory of the previous catalog?   Why is it "remembering" it in this way when the pictures aren't even on the computer anymore?  Isn't this a bug???

I've been working on this issue for much longer than I care to remember-- if anyone can tell me how to get myself truly back to ground-zero so I can start over I would be deeply grateful.   After upgrading to Elements 9 (from 7) to try to solve this problem I am close to just abandoning Elements entirely.....

WHile we're at it, if anyone has any idea where the duplicates pictures are coming from and how I prevent that from happening, I'm' all ears!!!!

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 22, 2010 7:26 AM   in reply to Hjordreid

Your catalog is deliberately stored separately from the PSE program files, so that you can uninstall/reinstall without losing all your work. You can either delete the catalog from File>Catalog>Remove, or do it manually. Look at Help>System Info in the organizer to find the file path.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2010 9:14 AM   in reply to Hjordreid

Sorry, I should have mentioned that you need to enable hidden file viewing. Glad you found it.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2011 8:52 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

I have just loaded Elements 9 after "removing" Elements 8 and on opening Organiser I was surprised to find I already had a Catalog.  I guess your instructions apply to Windows XP.  I am using Windows 7. I have found AppData, Local, Local, and Roaming. and turned off the "hidden" check in properties and have found Adobe Elements and Organiser in Roaming - but no catalog.  Any suggestions as how to proceed would be most helpful

Bryan Amery

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2011 9:01 AM   in reply to bryanamery05

Go to Help>System Info. That applies to all versions of PSE, mac or windows, any version of either operating system. You need to enable hidden file viewing system wide to find the catalog file. Just turning it on for that file won't help, since the directory it's usually in is hidden by default (a visible file in a hidden folder is still hidden, for most purposes).

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2011 8:39 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

Many Thanks.

Eventually, following your lead, I went to C:\Program Data and under

Properties General removed the Tick from the hidden box. After the

attributes had been reset for each sub-folder I went to C:\Program

Data\Adobe\Elements Organiser and found two files My Catalog and My

Catalog 1, presumably from Elements 8 and Elements 9 and Deleted both.

Success at last!!!

Regards,

Bryan Amery

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points