Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can't import iMovie '11 Final Cut XML

Nov 23, 2010 9:27 PM

I just bought CS5 production premium and wanted to import a few of my iMovie projects into Premiere Pro. However, no matter how simple a project I load into iMovie, when I generate the Final Cut XML file from it (via iMovie's share menu option), Premiere always gives me that "importer reported a generic error" message.

Anyone know what I might try? Anyway to get PP to give me a better error message? Any more detail import logs written someplace? I know it is a new version of iMovie (new since CS5) but FCP hasn't changed, so I figure the XML could not have changed either right?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

--greg.

I am on a mac, running all the latest updates from Adobe and Apple.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 23, 2010 10:28 PM   in reply to Gregory Seattle

> ... so I figure the XML could not have changed either right?

I don't think that's a good assumption.

If we're testing against projects created by FCP, then it's quite possible that we're not handling something tha iMovie is doing differently.

Please file a bug report or feature request about this, so that our engineers know that there's something here that they need to look into.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2010 10:34 AM   in reply to Gregory Seattle

This page describes what is converted when a Final Cut Pro XML file is imported. This might shed some light on the issue for you.

BTW, there are a lot of improvments in FCP XML support in the Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update. These changes were primarily on the export side, but you should certainly make sure that you've got this update installed if you are doing anything with FCP XML in Premiere Pro CS5.

I'll ask the folks who developed this feature what they think about the possibility of working with iMovie projects.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2010 11:21 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

I had a quick conversation with the folks who work on this feature, and they said that they have focused on working with the XML files that Final Cut Pro generates. It may be that iMovie is generating a somewhat different kind of XML file---perhaps still within the specification, but not within the subset that we focused on for the feature of importing XML projects from Final Cut Pro.

If you'd like to send me some XML files of yours from iMovie that are giving this error, I'll pass them along, and we can look into broadening support to include what iMovie is generating. No promises on if/when such a change might be implemented. My email address is kopriva -at- adobe -dot -com.

It would also be good if you filed a feature request.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2010 10:52 AM   in reply to Gregory Seattle

It looks like the iMovie XML files differ significantly from the XML files generated by Final Cut Pro. We're definitely looking into this, though. Thanks for calling it to our attention.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2011 3:32 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

I just exported from iMovie that I got with Lion. I'm new to Intel Mac but did lots of FCP on my old G5 that just died. I had made the iMovie with DV footage from my old tape cam and MPEG 4 1080 from my new Sony DSC HX9V. The iMovie is "large", 960x540. It fits the HD fine and shows the DV with black bars so aspect ratios are preserved. Premiere imports it as 720x480 and shows it as 640x480, I guess assuming the pixels aren't square. Is there any way to import the iMovie with correct aspect ratio and size?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points