Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

adobe reader cannot open protected mode

Nov 24, 2010 12:58 PM

I downloaded and installed Reader X,  and get the see the message adobe reader cannot open protected mode due to configuration errors.

The link provides no information as to what the problem is.

I have Windows XP SP3 (with all the updates) and using Avira AntiVir as the antivirus.

How do I get to the protected mode?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 25, 2010 9:12 AM   in reply to kromichaek1

Some anti-virus softwares inhibit the Reader's protected mode. Please try turning off Avira as it might have a similar issue. For compatibility issues you may want to take a look at: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/860/cpsid_86063.html

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2010 2:39 AM   in reply to Manu_Aggarwal

Which version of Avira Antivirus are you using? I am using Avira AntiVirus Professional (v 10.0.0.946) on Win XP SP3 and I do not see the problem.

I am on Win XP SP3.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2010 5:49 AM   in reply to kromichaek1

Hi,

The problem does not seem to be with Avira Antivirus Personal Edition.

Are there no unsupported configurations mentioned in the link

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/860/cpsid_86063.html#main_Unsupported_configu rations

on your system?

Also please let me know the following details:

1) Was ReaderX installed at the default path or the installer path changed manually?

2) Are the PDF files you are trying to open kept on any local disk or any kind of network share?

3) Please disable all the antispyware, antimalware and firewall installed in your system and then verify.

4) Please tell the kind of user(admin/standard/guest ) who is trying to open PDF files.

Thanks .

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2010 10:30 PM   in reply to kromichaek1

Hi Kromichaek1,

Please execute the following stpes and let me know the details.

Here is the details of a inbuilt MS utility which could be used to dump the system information.

1.       Start -> Run

2.       Type msinfo32.exe and press Enter

3.       Choose File-> Save…

4.       Specify the save path

Now resulting .nfo would include all of system information. Please send the .nfo file

Also please send the snapshot of the process explorer at the time when configuration error dialog is thrown.

You can send the snapshots as private message also.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2011 4:13 AM   in reply to Manu_Aggarwal

On this page, http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/860/cpsid_86063.html, it says:

Unsupported configurations for Reader running in Protected Mode include:

• Running Reader on Windows XP when the OS is installed in a public folder.

Would the correct sentence look more like this? "Running Reader on Windows XP when Adobe Reader X is installed in a public folder"

E.g. when Adobe Reader is installed in Program Files?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2011 3:44 AM   in reply to pisboi

Hi All,

We have had a few bug reports related to Adobe Reader X protected mode coming in from you in this forum. We have addressed a large number of them in our upcoming Reader update and we would like to hear your feedback.

To that extent, we would like to invite you to the Adobe Reader Prerelease program and try out the latest build. To participate, please fill in the form available at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=reader_prerelease_ interest and indicate Adobe Reader as the product of your interest.

We look forward to your active participation, feedback and help towards making Reader a better product.

Thanks and regards,

Adobe Prerelease Team

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2011 2:54 AM   in reply to kromichaek1
    Announcement: Would you like to help us improve Adobe Reader?

Hi All,

We have had a few bug reports related to Adobe Reader X protected mode coming in from you in this forum. We have addressed a large number of them in our upcoming Reader update and we would like to hear your feedback.

To that extent, we would like to invite you to the Adobe Reader Prerelease program and try out the latest build. To participate, please fill in the form available at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=reader_prerelease_ interest and indicate Adobe Reader as the product of your interest.

We look forward to your active participation, feedback and help towards making Reader a better product.

Thanks and regards,

Adobe Prerelease Team

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points