Skip navigation
t_mossbrant
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Photoshop CS5 crash/won't start on my XP computer.

Nov 24, 2010 4:02 PM

Hi

I have installed Photoshop CS5 on a coupel of comupters(XP) and I get following error when I start it. The user are useing mandatory porfiles NTUSER.MAN.

AppName:photoshop.exe     AppVer: 12.0.1.0 ModName:scriptingsupport.8li

ModVer:10.0.0.0     Offset:000d183a

//Tobbe

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 24, 2010 11:35 PM   in reply to t_mossbrant

Some security stuff is blocking the required socket connection for scripting.... turn it off/ configure it accordingly.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2010 6:50 AM   in reply to t_mossbrant

Welcome to the world of DRM. One user per computer per license.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2010 11:37 AM   in reply to t_mossbrant
    We don't want to give the users any form of higher level rights when launching the apps either, as otherwise they can press the "Deactivate" button and deactivate CS5 on the machine (and I'm sure I'm not alone in this).

I'm not the best authority on this, but I believe you can suppress this by using the Adobe deployment toolkit. If the serial is hard-coded in the deployment package and flagged accordingly, these options will never even show up anywhere....

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Dec 11, 2010 11:31 AM   in reply to t_mossbrant

Hi,

I am having exactly the same issue here with CS5 Photoshop and mandatory profiles. Couldn't get the product to start without errors so I renamed the scriptingsupport.8li file and that solved the startup problems. However the reduction in functionality is unacceptable.

Removed the mandatory profile from a single domain user and tested Photoshop and everything is wonderful. SO what's the solution Adobe? Are you going to fix this or do I have to take all my users off mandatory profiles. I don't think either are going to happen certainly not the latter.

What gauls me the most is the amount of money that we paid for the site license for a product that doesn't work in a not unusual scenario and isn't going to be fixed.

Regards

One unhappy bunny.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2010 10:12 AM   in reply to Peebs64

Found this after narrowing down my crashing cs5 to a problem with "ScriptingSupport.8li"

I'm using Win7 64bit with CS5 12.0.2 x64 and i was able to re-active scripting support after changing the compatibility mode to "Windows Vista".

I have no idea why but maybe it helps someone else...

Regards

B.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2011 10:24 AM   in reply to bvogl1

I just corrected the problem last night based on some obscure posting.   I tried updating Video Drivers, alter BIOS settings, turned off AV, you name it.  It came down to a conflict with my account on my XP machine.  I created a new account with admin rights, and volia, it worked perfectly, including my plug-ins (Nik and OnONE), I could not afford the 'disable' workaround as it killed my access to these apps.   Try it out.  If it does not work, you can always delete the account.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2011 2:43 PM   in reply to Gimp_NYC

I'm having the same problem.  I am a computer teacher and when I log in with Admin, no problems.  When the students log in, the computers will lock up for a couple minutes at a time randomly.  No real pattern to it.  I can't believe that Adobe isn't on this.  I have older machines, running XP, so it would be nice to abandon CS5, but I only have a license for Photoshop 6.  I have a 5-machine license for CS2 but they won't give me a lab license for it even though we spend big money to buy a site license for CS5.

Any ideas on how to allow my students to use Photoshop 12x?  I even tried updating to CS 5.5 and no luck.

I've tried the first set of suggestions on the Adobe web site including:

Updating Windows XP

Updating Photoshop

Re-creating preferences

Update video driver

I have no plug ins

No extensions

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2011 2:57 PM   in reply to mrpoore

We can be "on" a problem we haven't seen. And what you're describing has absolutely nothing to do with the topic being discussed here.

Please create a new topic so we can talk about the problem you are seeing.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2011 6:16 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Ok.  I thought it was like the third post: It works just fine when iám logged on as local admin user but not with a domain user with local admin rights!!!??

But upon reading it again, I see it's different.  I'll repost.

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Dec 9, 2011 6:02 AM   in reply to t_mossbrant

The solution is to simply rename ScriptingSupport.8li located in (C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Plug-ins\Extensions).

• All you need to do just rename ScriptingSupport.8li by adding tilda ~ infront of the filename, so it looks like this:   ~ScriptingSupport.8li

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Jan 12, 2012 9:31 AM   in reply to t_mossbrant

Chris, there is a new user reporting an issue with mandatory profiles on the french U2U: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/948264 He also has to remove scriptingsupport.8li

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 8:14 AM   in reply to t_mossbrant

Hi,

We were getting similar errors after installing Adobe Creative Suite CS5.5 Design Premium on Windows XP Professional SP3 and attempting to run the software as a standard user in the 'Domain Guests' group:

Adobe Dreamweaver CS5.5
         Application starts but immediately closes shortly afterwards

Adobe Flash Professional CS5.5
         Application crashes on startup and displays the following errors:
              'Adobe Flash CS5.5 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.'
         Error signature:
              AppName: flash.exe AppVer: 11.5.1.349 ModName: flbridge.dll
              ModVer: 9.0.0.0 Offset: 000162d0

Adobe Illustrator CS5.1
         Application displays the following error on startup:
              Adobe Illustrator
              -----------------
              Error loading plugins.
              AISaveForWeb.aip
              DxfDwg.aip
              PNGFileFormat.aip
              [ ] Don't Show Again

Adobe InDesign CS5.5
              'InDesign.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.'
         Error signature:
              AppName: indesign.exe AppVer: 7.5.2.318 ModName: support for javascript.rpln
              ModVer: 7.5.0.142 Offset: 000361a8

Adobe Photoshop CS5.1
              'Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.'
         Error signature:
              AppName: photoshop.exe AppVer: 12.1.0.0 ModName: scriptingsupport.8li
              ModVer: 10.0.0.0 Offset: 000d1a2e

In each of these cases, I found eventually that the problem was because the user account that I was testing with was a member of the 'Domain Guests' group on the domain. (Other posts online seem to indicate that the same problem may occur if accounts are set up to use mandatory profiles, a Windows domain feature). In every case removing the user from the Domain Guests group and then logging on again resolved the problem.

I have yet to find a workaround for this issue other than removing the user from the Domain Guests group which does not involve removing some of the functionality from this software. Indeed if you run the software as a member of the local 'Guests' group, you get an error stating that this is not supported.

However if Adobe would like to troubleshoot the problem, it may well be caused by a call to RSACryptoServiceProvider and/or CryptAcquireContext returning NTE_TEMPORARY_PROFILE, as described in the following MSDN blog post:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/alejacma/archive/2007/10/23/rsacryptoservicepr ovider-fails-when-used-with-mandatory-profiles.aspx

It seems as if these API calls were not designed to be called in the context of a mandatory and/or temporary profile (such as that created for a Domain Guest user account), and so if Adobe need to use these calls in their programs, they need to handle the NTE_TEMPORARY_PROFILE error and work around it if possible. (Searching for 'NET_TEMPORARY_PROFILE' in Google brings up a few possibilities).

If you are trying to use the software in the mean time try removing your user account from the 'Domain Guests' group and see if this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 8:21 AM   in reply to ColchesterRGS

Recently I've begun to have Photoshop CS 5.04 crash upon starting up.  Resetting the prefererence (CTRL+ALT+SHIFT), deleting the preferences file /users/appdata/roaming/.... neither solve the problem.  I haven't done anything different to my PC, yet, I do plan on moving everything to a new HDD that hasn't been done yet, how can I fix this ?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 15, 2012 4:02 PM   in reply to StrongBeaver

Make sure your drivers are updated, check your event logs for errors and especially for evidence of any failing hardware. 

If you suspect a software issue, restore your system back to a time when it was working well using the various Windows System Restore or Backup Restoral facilities.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 5:48 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Photoshop runs fine under an Administrator account, it crashes in Standard ? Any idea before I attempt a System Restore ?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 16, 2012 6:57 AM   in reply to StrongBeaver

Check to make sure the root folders of your scratch drive(s) have read-write ability, and ESPECIALLY that the TEMP folder is fully accessible by your standard user account.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2012 2:16 PM   in reply to t_mossbrant

We  had the same problem for some users on XP workstation, including Administrator.  Although some users could launch Photoshop without any problem.   It ends  up that to fix it you need to rename/delete HKCU\Software\Adobe\IAC key.   This key will be recreated next time user launches Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points