Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Make a photo fade to transparency?

Nov 25, 2010 Nov 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, just wondering if it's possible to fade a photo (not a box of colour) to transparency in Illustrator? I am familiar with how to do it in InDesign and Photoshop - but not knowing how to do it in Illustrator.

Every online tut I have found just explains how to fade "a colour" - versus an actual photo place in an illustrator document.

Any insight?

Thank you,

Chemol

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 25, 2010 Nov 25, 2010

Draw a rectangle on top of the raster image, apply a black to white gradient to that rectangle, select both the rectangle and the raster image, then go to the Transparency Palette and create an opacity mask. That's the basic principle.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the version of Illustrator you are using support opacity masks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using CS4 - I believe it does

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Draw a rectangle on top of the raster image, apply a black to white gradient to that rectangle, select both the rectangle and the raster image, then go to the Transparency Palette and create an opacity mask. That's the basic principle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a bundle! I was attempting it that way before, but for some reason it

didn¹t turn out properly ­ I appreciate your insight!

Happy Turkey day

Chemol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2014 Nov 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an echo in here? haha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2016 May 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kurt Gold,

Thanks for your answer, was great. So I've done as you said, but now how to I control that fade out - the fade starts too soon over my image and is basically covering most of it. See my image attached 😃

Thanks 😃

Screenshot 2016-05-26 13.54.35.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2016 May 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

select your masked image. click on the mask in the transparency panel (red circle below). then adjust the gradient with either the gradient tool or palette.

opacity.png

select the image again in the transparency palette when you're done too, otherwise anything you draw after with just be added to the mask (and you won't see it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2016 May 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you; much appreciated 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone explain how I would select the image if it's already got the rectangle over it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In the transparency panel, you can either select the mask or the underlying object by clicking on either of the two thumbnails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2016 Mar 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a whole lot. Worked for me though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2016 Aug 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This process doesnt work when exporting to PDF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2016 Aug 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

diannej33201545 schrieb:

This process doesnt work when exporting to PDF

Which process exactly does not work in which way exactly when saving to what kind of PDF exactly and which application do you use to check the PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines