Skip navigation
valmundo
Currently Being Moderated

No Manual for Adobe Premiere Elements 9?

Nov 28, 2010 4:58 PM

Hi, First time posting.  I just purchased Adobe Premiere Elements / Photoshop 9 this weekend for my Mac.  My first (of probably many questons) is whether an electronic manual comes with it.  I can't seem to find it either on the the DVDs or installed on my computer.  Am I missing something?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 28, 2010 5:12 PM   in reply to valmundo

Welcome to the forum.

Historically, the closes thing to a "manual," has been the Help File. Adobe is going to this with other programs, as well, and I miss my manuals! Adobe points out that with the Help Files going online, they can be updated instantly, where a manual is seldom updated. Back in years gone by, I used to receive addenda for my WordPerfect manual, which was ring-bound and so nicely printed. Cannot recall if this was an extra service, for which I paid, or if it was part of the ownership of the program. Those were the days...

However, with PrE we are very fortunate, as our MOD here, Steve Grisetti, has authored several great books that go a manual several levels better. I strongly recommend them, and they are available at both Amazon and also through Muvipix. There is also the Missing Manual series, but I have not used any. They do get high marks and great reviews too. I've gifted PSE to several friends, and all included Steve's book.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2010 6:20 PM   in reply to valmundo

Try this... P-Elements 9 http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/index.html

Note the link to the PDF in the upper right corner... right click and you will have the option to save the file to your computer

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2010 6:38 PM   in reply to John T Smith

And, of course, if you're looking for some great books, you can always pick up one of mine -- based on my six years of hosting this forum and the one on Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com.

http://Muvipix.com/pe9.php

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2010 9:14 AM   in reply to valmundo

I agree completely with you. I have suggested that Adobe team up with Steve G. and include a copy of his book with each program. Until they take my suggestion to heart, Muvipix and an order is the next best thing.

While the learning curve is more shallow with PrE & PSE, than with their "big-brothers," many users are just entering into the world of image enhancement, or video editing, for the first time, and a full manual would be helpful. Steve takes the concept of a manual several steps further. Think of a manual plus Adobe Classroom in a Book combined. If you do order his books, be sure to read the appendices, as they contain a wealth of info on setting up one's computer, and more. Those are often overlooked, and they are so very important. Do not miss them,

Good luck and happy editing,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2010 12:29 AM   in reply to valmundo

I have tried to adopt a paperless existence (except for the toilet).

Once I got used to it I would never buy a paper or book again if I could avoid it.

Unfortunately there are still those hard liners who have problems reading a video screen - like learning a new language when you are older.

The Main attraction is the magic word "SEARCH" something you can't do to a book.

The other magic word is "TREE" as I still have a social conscience.

My PE9 help came with a very clever html file that seems to contain everyhting I would want to know, anything else it seems can be found on the internet.

It took a bit of getting used to at first because it's not like the usual excelent Microsoft help.

The downside is I am creating more greenhouse gases using my computer but soon I'll have solar cells for that.

Sooner or later you are just going to have to get used to it!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2010 5:30 AM   in reply to Ted Smith

Well, Ted, you could always trade in your computer for an abacus!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2010 6:01 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Sorry Steve but I had an abacus but could never figure out how to use it. I couldn't understand the paper instruction help manual (because it was printed in Chinese).

I was merely pointing out to the original poster that there already was a PE9 manual and stating the case for and against electronic books versus paper which with me, Adobe must agree.

Do you publish your Book on paper or on line or both?

I would think the cost of on line publishing must be far lower and therfore the sales volume much higher.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2010 6:18 AM   in reply to Ted Smith

It's plain old paper and ink, Ted. But full of great information!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2011 1:08 PM   in reply to valmundo

I can't even get the program to install using the downloaded version which I bought.. It errors at installing required share technologies and starts an install roll back. Tech support is a joke. I phoned sales and offered to buy a disk and was told I would have to pay 109 dollars for them to send me a disk. What kind of a company is adobe?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2011 1:19 PM   in reply to Barneschevelle

Posting the same message in other, unrelated threads, is not a good way to get useful responses and assistance.

It would be much better to initiate a new thread, list the full specs. of your system, including things like active anti-virus software running, looking over this CHECKLIST, and then also reading the forum, as there are several threads on "shared technologies" issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2011 10:38 PM   in reply to valmundo

Hi Valmundo,

can appreciate your frustration - I had the same trouble with Adobe.

Try this site:- prodesigntools.com  They have a 95 page manual in pdf which should suit.

And if you are wondering where the adobe gamma they promised to include with the software has gone ?

If using W7 try this:-

go to Control Panel and

click on        "screen resolution"

"Advanced Settings"

"colour management" (twice)   

"Advanced"

"Calibrate display" and follow the instructions. It works OK with my LCD monitor.

Good photography, Jaunogre.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2011 7:56 AM   in reply to jaunogre

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the link to ProDesignTool's PDF. I am familiar with their excellent site - lot of great Adobe stuff there, but did not know about the PDF Help File. Is that an exact PDF of the Web-based Help File, or something else/better?

Appreciated,

Hunt

PS - ProDesignTools also has links to older Adobe trial versions, if one needs such. They also usually have the latest "rumors," before they become official, so always worth checking out.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2011 11:50 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hi Hunt,

I am not sure that it is an exact PDF help file; it is a "user guide"

comparable to the book "Digital Photography Quicksteps"; covers Creation of

Selections, Rotate.level, crop and size, Quick enhance, Adding text, Create

slideshow, Create Collages, Retouch, Export and print, Draw, Create shapes,

Apply filters, and Using layers.

All instructions are step-by-step and supported by screen views of the

steps.

The 90+ pages will, for me, cover all likely operations I encounter when

enhancing digital photo's and scanned slides to produce slideshows and the

like. I do not anticipate working with layers as that is involved and thus

very time consuming

Hope this helps.

Graeme (yaunogre)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2011 6:44 AM   in reply to jaunogre

Thank you for those details. Sounds useful.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2012 2:54 PM   in reply to valmundo

No user guide?  Wha..?  If I had read this thread a month ago, I never would have invested 100 smackers in Adobe Elements.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2012 2:56 PM   in reply to ergurney

If you are still within 30 days of purchase, and the lack of a manual is that important, then contact Adobe, as they offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee - just do that, within the first 30 days.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2012 3:07 AM   in reply to ergurney

http://help.adobe.com/archive/en_US/premiereelements/9/premiereelement s_9_help.pdf - 309 page guide.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

Message was edited by: nealeh Replaced Link to v10 Guide with link to v9 Guide

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2012 5:16 AM   in reply to nealeh

And, if you prefer a traditional paper book, there's still this:

http://Muvipix.com/pe11.php

Or these for versions 9 and 10:

http://Muvipix.com/pe10.php

http://Muvipix.com/pe9.php

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2012 6:03 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Thanks, I've gone the refund route.  Nero is a superior tool for 1/5 the price.  The UI is certainly no worse.  And, they provide professional documentation (no extra charge for color)!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2012 6:40 AM   in reply to ergurney

Glad to hear you found a solution that meets your needs, ergurney!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 8:23 AM   in reply to valmundo

I want a premiere 11 manual.  and please some one tell me how to star a new thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 9:08 AM   in reply to Jan__i

Go read #4 in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1112172 where I replied to your other comment

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 2:43 PM   in reply to Jan__i

There is no direct "manual" from Adobe for PrE, unfortunately, but Steve Grisetti has published several great books, that go beyond the role of a manual, and they are available from Muvipix.com. I highly recommend those, plus his Muvipix.com Learning Series, and Basic Training, and also his Tips & Tricks book. Great resources.

For starting a New Discussion (thread), see this image:

New_Discussion_01.png

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers