Skip navigation
jhall2005
Currently Being Moderated

PS Elements 9 Editor Runtime Error

Nov 28, 2010 11:17 PM

Just purchased and installed PS Elements 9 and get the following error:

Capture.JPG

I only get the error after having used the editor to edit for one session (after reinstall).  The moment I close the program and reopen it I get that error and must reinstall to have another shot at it.

I am running Windows 7 64bit Ultimate.  Here is what I have done so far:

The ctrl-alt-shift trick

Reinstalled the software with no AV running

Updated the software to 9.01

Reinstalled Windows 7

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 7, 2010 2:10 PM   in reply to jhall2005

similar issue when launching Organize. Phone support is worthless.

runtime error.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2010 3:25 PM   in reply to jballgame13

I forgot to mention that I'm runing 32bit Windows XP SP3 fully security patched. Dell E6410 4gb

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2010 8:29 AM   in reply to jballgame13

This issue still exists. Here are some of the steps I have tried to resolve this issue: uninstall/reinstall, uninstall reboot/reinstall, uninstall reboot/reinstall reboot, completely reimage the machine and then reinstall, and then all the above with a new download. I have spent 108 mins on the phone to be told I need to pay for support because of my volume license. 108!!!

Does anyone have an answer or suggestion??????????????????

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2011 12:46 PM   in reply to jhall2005

I downloaded the trial version of PS Elements 9, and when I try to run the program I get this same error.  I'm running Vista 64 with all the latest updates.  All my other tons of software works fine (including video and photo editors).  Everytime I try an Adobe product I spend days having to crowbar it in to get it to work.  I don't know why I keep trying.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2011 1:43 PM   in reply to jhall2005

We had this problem also.  I tried everything under the sun or so I thought.  Here is how I got it working.  Please reply and let me know if it worked for you.

This worked for us using Windows 7 Home Premium (32bit) but I imagine it would work for Vista and 64bit versions as well.

This may also work for the PS9 demo if you do not have the disc.  Just skip the parts on copying from the DVD and run teh demo setup as an Admin.

Uninstall

1. Remove all personal files (for example, images or third-party plug-ins) from the Photoshop Elements 9 and Elements Organizer 8 folders and their subfolders. (I skipped this step because I had nothing saved nor had I used any 3rd party plugins)
    2. Choose Start > Control Panel.
    3. Double-click Programs > Programs and Features > Uninstall a program  (Windows 7) or Programs And Features (Windows Vista)
    4. Select Adobe Photoshop Elements 9, and click Uninstall. Follow the onscreen instructions to remove Photoshop Elements.
    5. Delete the Photoshop Elements 9 and the Elements Organizer 9 folders (by default, they are installed under the  Program Files\Adobe folder) if the installer didn't delete them.
    6. Click Yes in the Confirm Folder Delete dialog box.
    7. Empty the Recycle Bin and restart your computer.

Copy Adobe Folder from your Adobe DVD and stop Startup items

1. Insert the Photoshop Elements disc into the disc drive.
    2. Copy the Adobe Photoshop Elements folder on the Photoshop Elements disc to the desktop.
    3. Choose Start, type msconfig in the Search text box, and press Enter.
    4. On the Startup tab, click Disable All.
    5. On the Services tab, select Hide All Microsoft Services, click Disable All, and then click OK.
    6. Restart your computer.
    Install as an Administrator

1. Open the Photoshop Elements folder on the desktop.
    2. Right-click the Setup.exe file and choose Properties.
    3. On the Compatibility tab, select Run This Program As An Administrator in the Privilege Level section.
    4. Click OK.
    5. Double-click the Setup.exe file, and follow the onscreen instructions.
    6. At the prompt where it allows you to change the install directory, make a new folder in the root of the hard drive and named it PS9 (C:\PS9) and continue with the install.  I don't know if this step is necessary but it worked for me.
    7. After successful install restart the computer before opening Elements.

Hopefully you have a working PSE 9 now.  If it works, you can go ahead and open and close it a few times and tinker around.  If everything is to your liking you can reenable your startup items again and restart to make sure everything works as it should. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2011 3:38 PM   in reply to goosefraba

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2011 8:31 PM   in reply to user0987654321

Let me know if it works for you =)  I tried almost everything I could find on the net and being a PC technician I was quite frustrated with this. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2011 2:13 PM   in reply to jhall2005

Adobe wanted me to close my open ticket.  Here's what I told them...

Support said to install latest MS Visual C++.  I installed both x86 and x64 versions.  No change.  Tried several other "fixes" post on Adobe KB and forums.  No help.  I spent 4 man hours trying to install the PE9 trial with no success, and don't have time to mess with it any more, need to move on.  I uninstalled PE9 and purchased Corel PhotoShop X3.  It's trial installed and worked fine immediately.  This is the third or fourth time I've spent way to much time trying to get an Adobe product to work, given up and removed it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2011 2:54 PM   in reply to user0987654321

I apologize for not responding sooner as I've been on another project. I have had zero time to deal with this issue. Adobe continues to disappoint me with most of their products that I have used or installed.

Sent from my iPhone

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2011 10:44 AM   in reply to jhall2005

I think the Runtime Errors started (for me) after I uninstalled Elements 6.  I deleted some old catalog directories in

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe and

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Adobe

Sorry I didn't take better notes on the exact file names.

I didn't re-install anything.

Right now PSE9 editor is running ok.  We'll see if it continues to work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2011 7:46 PM   in reply to goosefraba

I found this post last night and printed out your directions and followed them and my problem is fixed. Thank you! I could not get my editor to work and kept getting that runtime error message. Now it's gone and my editor is working fine. Hopefully it will last awhile.

Very grateful . . .

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2011 10:47 PM   in reply to ExpressionsOfGrace

Thanks for your email.  I&#39;m pleased to report that the problem never happened again, and I had completely forgotten about it.

Regards,

Peter mcKone

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2011 4:58 PM   in reply to pmckone

Well . . .I had problems again in September and uninstalled and then reinstalled PSE 9. Worked fine until last night. "Crashed" again last night. Just uninstalled and reinstalled . . . AGAIN. This is getting VERY frustrating.  Have no idea why it's happening and therefore have no idea how to prevent it. There HAS to be an answer out there.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2011 3:11 PM   in reply to ExpressionsOfGrace

Here are the directions that I found and followed before in September. It got me back up and working, but didn't keep it from happening again. So, haven't followed these instructions again, since going to all this trouble didn't solve my problem. I don't recall where I got this from . . . sorry. Since then, I have just uninstalled and re-installed the program.

We had this problem also.  I tried everything under the sun or so I thought.  Here is how I got it working.  Please reply and let me know if it worked for you.

This worked for us using Windows 7 Home Premium (32bit) but I imagine it would work for Vista and 64bit versions as well.

This may also work for the PS9 demo if you do not have the disc.  Just skip the parts on copying from the DVD and run teh demo setup as an Admin.

Uninstall

1. Remove all personal files (for example, images or third-party plug-ins) from the Photoshop Elements 9 and Elements Organizer 8 folders and their subfolders. (I skipped this step because I had nothing saved nor had I used any 3rd party plugins)
    2. Choose Start > Control Panel.
    3. Double-click Programs > Programs and Features > Uninstall a program  (Windows 7) or Programs And Features (Windows Vista)
    4. Select Adobe Photoshop Elements 9, and click Uninstall. Follow the onscreen instructions to remove Photoshop Elements.
    5. Delete the Photoshop Elements 9 and the Elements Organizer 9 folders (by default, they are installed under the  Program Files\Adobe folder) if the installer didn't delete them.
    6. Click Yes in the Confirm Folder Delete dialog box.
    7. Empty the Recycle Bin and restart your computer.

Copy Adobe Folder from your Adobe DVD and stop Startup items

1. Insert the Photoshop Elements disc into the disc drive.
    2. Copy the Adobe Photoshop Elements folder on the Photoshop Elements disc to the desktop.
    3. Choose Start, type msconfig in the Search text box, and press Enter.
    4. On the Startup tab, click Disable All.
    5. On the Services tab, select Hide All Microsoft Services, click Disable All, and then click OK.
    6. Restart your computer.
    Install as an Administrator

1. Open the Photoshop Elements folder on the desktop.
    2. Right-click the Setup.exe file and choose Properties.
    3. On the Compatibility tab, select Run This Program As An Administrator in the Privilege Level section.
    4. Click OK.
    5. Double-click the Setup.exe file, and follow the onscreen instructions.
    6. At the prompt where it allows you to change the install directory, make a new folder in the root of the hard drive and named it PS9 (C:\PS9) and continue with the install.  I don't know if this step is necessary but it worked for me.
    7. After successful install restart the computer before opening Elements.

Hopefully you have a working PSE 9 now.  If it works, you can go ahead and open and close it a few times and tinker around.  If everything is to your liking you can reenable your startup items again and restart to make sure everything works as it should. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points