Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Reader X cannot open LOCAL files on Windows 7 x64

Nov 29, 2010 5:28 AM

Reposted as a new thread, as requested by AbhigyanModi:
Since upgrading to Reader X from Reader 9.x on my Windows 7 64-bit PC, no PDF file can be opened, including those being opened from local disk.  any attempt to open any PDF results in a dialog saying "There was an error opening this document.  Access denied"
My only security software is Microsoft Security Essentials. Version: 1.0.2498.0; Antimalware Client Version: 2.1.6805.0; Engine Version: 1.1.6402.0.
The virus and spyware signatures file versions are both 1.95.781.0 (created 28/11/2010 9:32pm).
No security alert is raised or logged when attempting to open a PDF, and disabling realtime protection in MSE does not correct the problem.

I have tried doing an uninstall / reinstall of Reader X, but the problem persists.

I have also tried, as suggested on another thread, using Preferences / General Set PDF Handler.  Only one choice (Adobe Reader X) appears in this dialog.  When I apply, an elevation request is raised and some configuration processing happens, but the problem is not corrected as a result.

Disabling Protected Mode does "fix" this, enabling PDFs to be opened.

Richard

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 1, 2010 3:46 AM   in reply to R_J_R

Hi

Please let me know the below few details:

1) If any other firewall software etc are installed in your system.

2) What edition of Windows 7 are you using?

3) UAC level of your OS?

4) Are you using desktop/laptop/notepad ?

5) Are you opening the PDF as a standard user or an admin user?

Thanks,

Shakti

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2010 11:53 PM   in reply to R_J_R

Hi,

Please let me know the details by executing following steps

1.       Start -> Run

2.       Type msinfo32.exe and press Enter

3.       Choose File-> Save…

4.       Specify the save path

Now resulting .nfo would include all of system information. If possible please send this utility as a private message to me.

You can also send me the details as private message.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2011 3:04 AM   in reply to R_J_R
    Announcement: Would you like to help us improve Adobe Reader?

Hi All,

We have had a few bug reports related to Adobe Reader X protected mode coming in from you in this forum. We have addressed a large number of them in our upcoming Reader update and we would like to hear your feedback.

To that extent, we would like to invite you to the Adobe Reader Prerelease program and try out the latest build. To participate, please fill in the form available at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=reader_prerelease_ interest and indicate Adobe Reader as the product of your interest.

We look forward to your active participation, feedback and help towards making Reader a better product.

Thanks and regards,

Adobe Prerelease Team

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points