I have tried doing an uninstall / reinstall of Reader X, but the problem persists.
I have also tried, as suggested on another thread, using Preferences / General Set PDF Handler. Only one choice (Adobe Reader X) appears in this dialog. When I apply, an elevation request is raised and some configuration processing happens, but the problem is not corrected as a result.
Disabling Protected Mode does "fix" this, enabling PDFs to be opened.
Please let me know the below few details:
1) If any other firewall software etc are installed in your system.
2) What edition of Windows 7 are you using?
3) UAC level of your OS?
4) Are you using desktop/laptop/notepad ?
5) Are you opening the PDF as a standard user or an admin user?
1. I have no other firewall software, only Microsoft Security Essentials.
2. Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
3. UAC is at Default level
4. Desktop (Dell Studio XPS 8000)
5. Admin user (but I do not get an elevation prompt when opening PDF)
Please let me know the details by executing following steps
1. Start -> Run
2. Type msinfo32.exe and press Enter
3. Choose File-> Save…
4. Specify the save path
Now resulting .nfo would include all of system information. If possible please send this utility as a private message to me.
You can also send me the details as private message.
We have had a few bug reports related to Adobe Reader X protected mode coming in from you in this forum. We have addressed a large number of them in our upcoming Reader update and we would like to hear your feedback.
To that extent, we would like to invite you to the Adobe Reader Prerelease program and try out the latest build. To participate, please fill in the form available at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=reader_prerelease_ interest and indicate Adobe Reader as the product of your interest.
We look forward to your active participation, feedback and help towards making Reader a better product.
Thanks and regards,
Adobe Prerelease Team