Skip navigation
pcmasten
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements 9 Low System Memory

Nov 29, 2010 11:19 PM

There seems to be a lot of threads on this subject, but no conclusive answers.

I'm getting a "running low on system memory, proceed with caution" error, then it usually hangs (sometimes I can save (or save as which works better)).

System Info: Dell Studio XPS w/ i7-920 64bit, 6GB memory, 450GB HD w/ 236GB free, ATI Radeon HD3650 w/ 256MB, Windows 7 (64bit), latest drivers.

Virtual memory- custom @ 5000MB min and 15000MB max.

I just installed version 9 after using version 7 w/o problems for several years. Right now, I'm only trying to make a slideshow using jpegs that were massaged using photoshop elements 7 (4.5 x 6 300dpi). File size is generallyaround 2MB but some go as high as 4.

I have shut down everything I can in startup and running files (used enditall2). No additional programs that I can see are open. PE9 just seems to suck up memory until I run out, then I get the error. I have rendered the pictures after every 4 additions (PITA!).

When I first got the message, I un-installed PE7 and PS7, then uninstalled PE9 and PS9. I then re-installed PE/PS9. No help there. I initially had the files on a portable usb HD, but moved everything to the main (C:\) drive in my video folder.  I'm using the PE9 project settings: NTSC-DV-Standard 48KHz.

Appreciate any help I can get on this. I've already wasted way to much time on this.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 30, 2010 2:45 AM   in reply to pcmasten

Your picture files are too big. From your project preset I assume you plan to output to an NTSC DVD. Such a DVD has dimensions of 720x480.

If your slideshow is a straight forward timeline of images then you should convert your photos to 720x480 before importing to PRE9. Your PSE7 (or any other photo editing software) can do do this. If you want to uses pan & zoom then resize to no more than 1000x750. A lot more detail can be found in What resolution should my photos be in Premiere Elements?

Note that, for video, dpi is meaningless.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2010 5:32 AM   in reply to nealeh

I agree completely with Neale! Your photo files should never be larger than 1000x750 pixels!

Additionally, you should render your timeline (by pressing Enter) whenever red lines appear above your clips on your timeline. The more red lines (unrendered clips) the more unstably the program will run.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2010 6:23 AM   in reply to pcmasten

Along with Neale's suggestions, I would also explore your Windows Virtual Memory (Page File). This ARTICLE will give you some background and tips.

For Scaling still images with automation, this ARTICLE will give you tips. Note: the PSE steps were graciously added by Neale.

Last, take a look at this ARTICLE, as Windows Indexing can cause all sorts of issues. I do not think that the behavior, that you describe, will lead to Windows Indexing, but having it in the back of your mind, as you troubleshoot, is not a bad thing.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2010 3:11 AM   in reply to pcmasten

Thanks for letting us know. It's always good to hear success stories.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 2:53 PM   in reply to nealeh

I am editing a feature film, I have 40 mins cut together already, and began running into this "low system memory" problem. I do not want to loose what I have on my timeline, should I disable the indexing feature as described in this article?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/676303?tstart=30

Also, my raw footage is from an external hard drive.

Below is a snap shot of my system specs.

WINDOWS INFRO.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 4:02 PM   in reply to MShershenovich

First, do both a Save_As (increment your Project's name), then do a Save_As_a_Copy. I would Copy that copy to the external, for safe keeping.

Win7 has a better Windows Indexing system, than prior versions, so I do not know how much difference that will make. The 8GB RAM can likely be easily, and inexpensively bumped up to 16GB (make sure to match any RAM 100%). I would also take a look at this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2910195#2910195 and look into removing any unnecessary running programs, while you edit.

Take a look at your Windows Virtual Memory Page File, and see how it's managed, plus the size (if dynamically managed, then Min and Max). Allocating more HDD space to the Page File, if you have the HDD space. For a video-editing rig, I like to statically manage my Page File, and set it up, when I first install the OS, before the HDD's get filled to any level. Again, Win7 is better with the Page File, and with a 64-bit OS, if one has the installed RAM, then the Page File will see less use, than with 32-bit OS's.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 5:45 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Also, remember to render your project as you work!!!! (Press the Enter key.)

In Expert View, the indication that you need to render your timeline will be a yellow line along the top of the timeline.

The vast majority of low memory issues are the result of working with too much of your timeline unrendered.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points