Skip navigation
thominator
Currently Being Moderated

Could not initialize Photoshop because of a program error

Dec 3, 2010 1:32 PM

Threw this one to Adobe Tech Support. Their answer didn't work (trash prefs, boot in safe mode, start photoshop, quit, restart). And their asking for me to respond to them doesn't work either (no_reply email, log into Adobe Support Portal as suggested generates error message on their Web site, for which I've now also submitted a tech support request ;~)

The message is being thrown up just after "initializing panels" while Photoshop is loading.

Here's the thing. I have two Macs, one desktop, one MacBook Pro. Both installations are essentially the same (same OS updates, same CS5 updates, same plug-ins and their updates, same overall software packages. As identical as you can make them. On the desktop, no problems. On the laptop, suddenly problems, and it just recently started out of the middle of nowhere.

Searches of the Knowledge database don't reveal any information on this.

So, anyone got any ideas on how to fix this (hopefully short of uninstall completely and reinstall--it's a lot of reinstalling since I've got Nik, onOne, and Topaz suites installed)?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 4, 2010 3:50 AM   in reply to thominator
    Both installations are essentially the same (same OS updates, same CS5 updates, same plug-ins and their updates, same overall software packages.

Well, have you tried removing the 3rd party plug-ins yet?

Trashing prefs is good advise, but have you done System maintenance (repairing permissions, purging PRAM, running cron-scripts, cleaning caches, etc.), too? Onyx has been recommended for such tasks.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/onyx.html)

You might also try creating a new user-account and try starting Photoshop in that.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2010 8:20 AM   in reply to thominator

Help I am having the same issue.  I called tech support twice (Once one of the agents hung up on me when I told him my issue),  The second agent Marcwas very helpful, (Issue 181939843) although didn't fix it by trying to install the CS5 from a new account.  I seem to have CS5 for 24 hours and then it says "Could not initialize Photoshop because of a program error"  The issue keeps happening and I have tried the various solutions you have listed here and yet still it doesn't work. I have Photoshop Extended and I have Mac OS X 10.6.5.  The Mac is up to date as is all Adobe products.  I also use Lightroom 3.3.  Please help me with the issue as I am so ready to go back to PC.  One other note my Mac is brand new have had it for only a month.  Thank you for your help

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2010 4:32 PM   in reply to thominator

I am having the same issues tonight.  I used CS5 last night and tonight I am getting the same Could not initialize Photoshop because of a program error

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2010 4:53 PM   in reply to thominator

Yeah I tried the same thing and even tweeted my problem.  Jeffrey Tranberry replied and has not got back after he asked mac or win....I said mac

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2010 5:02 PM   in reply to thominator

Yeah I tried the same thing and even tweeted my problem.  Jeffrey Tranberry replied and has not got back after he asked mac or win....I said mac

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2010 6:34 PM   in reply to mkgraham2007

I uninstalled it twice and yet still the same issue crops up after a day.  Do you guys use HDR Efex from Nik Software? I uninstalled that as well and I didn't know if is that is my issue? Still working as of two hours ago not sure if it still is. Any help would be appreciated.  I think Adobe needs to address this better before it becomes a blown out affair.  Mac and Adobe are supposed to be a dream team lately I beg to differ on whether that’s the case.  Apple already has a war with Flash is this their next issue??

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2010 6:44 PM   in reply to Ken Falls

I uninstalled, re installed,  rebooted 3 times and amazingly it worked. I lost half my head of hair.

I am indeed using HDR Efex Pro too. I ran 3 HDR processed, 2 B+W with Silver Efex and 3 Color Efex and then restarted with no issues.  Very odd.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2010 7:13 PM   in reply to mkgraham2007

With all mysterious Photoshop errors -- try disabling all third party plugins.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2010 8:19 PM   in reply to mkgraham2007

Its seems that NIK HDR Efex has a known issue with CS5.  I removed my copy and I am able to run CS5 for now.  Lets wait a day or two and see if that stays the same.  NIK is stating that it will not have a update to the software until 2011 so its wait and see I guess.  They say its only a known issue with 32 bit although we now know that two people have MAC's that can't use it as well.  I suggest removing the HDR Efex and see if you can use your CS5.  Let me know how you make out and I will keep you guys informed as well.  Thanks guys

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2010 8:21 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Thom are you using Nik software as well?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2010 5:16 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

That’s seems to fix my issue (removing the HDR Efex) going on my second day and photoshop opens fine. Going to call Nik on Monday to see if they know about this issue

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2010 12:31 PM   in reply to thominator

I seriously doubt that is the only problem here. I have the same error. I uninstalled HDR Efex Pro as well but that did not take care of it. I have been working on a moving Gif (Animation) lately which I have saved as a layered PSD.

Every time I open that PSD file, the next time I try to open PS CS5 it will give me the error above.Trashing my preferences will solve my problem until the next time I open that particular PSD file. Actually I also tried saving this animation as a Tiff file to if this makes a difference. Same problem. Open once, close Photoshop and it will return this error next time opening Photoshop.

Funny thing is that PS will open if you go via Bridge.

Really annoying but as long as trashing my preference files solves the issue I can live with it. I just hope it gets resolved in the near future.

Ray

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2010 3:09 PM   in reply to thominator

I've been having the same problem since I installed the complete collection of plugins from Nik. Came here and saw that the culprit may be their HDR plugin. I removed it and now CS5 is launching fine. I'll be reporting this issue to Nik right away since the software is not inexpensive, albeit not one of the plugins I use frequently, I'd like to be able to use it if I want to.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2010 8:21 PM   in reply to thominator

Checked the NIK site. They suggest trying their debugging steps:

http://www.niksoftware.com/support/usa/entry.php?view=faqs/hdr_issues_ answers.shtml

Looks like they have an update coming out after the year, too.

http://www.niksoftware.com/support/usa/entry.php?view=service_support_ bulletins/service_support_bulletin.shtml

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2010 8:51 AM   in reply to thominator

Are you using the work around you sent me?

Sent from my iPhone

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2011 2:31 PM   in reply to thominator

Try This if U R on a MAC running OSX -

1. Go to the Photoshop Icon in the CS5 folder in Applications

2. Hold the Command-Option-Shift keys down at the same time

3. When the pop-up comes up and asks if u want to delte the preferences file, say yes

4. That fixes it, or at least it does for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2011 12:26 PM   in reply to thominator

Don't update the HDR Efex program as requested by Nik to the Version 1.2  When I updated to 1.1 my issues with Photoshop and Lightroom were resolved.  Now I upgraded to 1.2 as requested via e-mail thinking it will get even better.  Now it doesn't work again.  I can't send images to it via Lightroom.  I select the images as I normally do and then hit edit in HDR Efex which then opens the HDR program to a black screen with nothing loaded.  I have to say I am really starting to get frustrated.  Nik is usually not this bad.  What happened???  I just sent them a nasty gram requesting a refund as I am fed up.  If they can't product test it then don't release it.  I am not their guinea pig and my time is valuable.  When I expect to be able to use a program I paid for I don't think it is asking for much.  The fact that I have had it since release and yet every time I need it and it doesn't work is just criminal.  If it is too late and some of you have already updated it and are having the same issue please join me in blasting Nik as this is truly unacceptable.  Once is possibly a mistake as the rush to release it could have rushed the product testing. Twice is just wrong and is unacceptable! 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2011 1:50 AM   in reply to thominator

I've just started getting the same error message intermittently on starting Photoshop CS5 version 12.0.1 x64, running on Mac OS X 10.6.8. I've long had problems with Photoshop's frequently hanging, wiping out any changes I've made to the preferences, because they're not committed on closing the Preferences dialog box. The problem started after I read an Adobe tutorial on how to improve Photoshop's performance, which had gotten very poor, and made changes to the Preferences. I hadn't restarted the app yet, as required for those changes to become effective, and Photoshop hung. When I restarted the app, I tried making the same changes, then restarted Photoshop. Now I'm getting this error message.

I don't have any third-party add-ons installed. I don't need them for the work I do. So, unlike the experience of some of the other folks who've commented here, this isn't a plug-in problem. Have others encountered and solved this problem? How? The fixes others have described don't sound too promising.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2011 1:58 AM   in reply to pabini_uxd

Have you performed the usual trouble-shooting routines (trashing prefs by keeping command-alt-shift pressed while starting Photoshop, system maintenance like repairing permissions, font validation, etc.)?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2011 2:25 AM   in reply to pabini_uxd

pabini_uxd wrote:

I've just started getting the same error message intermittently on starting Photoshop CS5 version 12.0.1 x64…

You need to apply the Photoshop updates.  You need to be at 12.0.4.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points