Skip navigation
xcritic
Currently Being Moderated

Deleting unwanted projects in Premier 8

Dec 9, 2010 2:23 PM

How do I delete unwanted projects in premier elements 8, and will all associated files be deleted?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 9, 2010 3:00 PM   in reply to xcritic

So much of the answer will depend on how you have created your Project structure on your HDD.

If you wish to Delete all aspects, and have located each Project as a root folder, with all of the Assets and Scratch Disks below each, then just Delete that Project root folder, and all goes away.

Now, if it's just the Project file that you wish to Delete, you can select and Delete the PREL file. This will not affect any Assets, but will also leave all Scratch Disks, like the Media Cache on the HDD.

Unless one is absolutely certain that they will never revisit a Project, I recommend that they use the Archiver to make a backup of that Project and store those on an external HDD.

Exactly what is your file structure?

Exactly what do you wish to Delete?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2010 4:51 AM   in reply to xcritic

Have you checked out my books?(If you click on the Buy Now links, it will take you to the Muvipix store -- or you can find the books on Amazon.com)

They not only tell you how to use every tool in the program, but they include tips (like putting each new project in its own folder) that will make your workflow go easier!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2010 2:37 PM   in reply to xcritic

It appears you DID NOT get a simple answer as maybe it is a bit harder than we think>? I too take photos,,,mp3s and video clips make

a project and when finished i save the project to my own disk or upload to you tube.. I want to delete all the associated files and start NEW project. In other words how does one delete full project completely from my computer and premiere elements?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2010 4:03 PM   in reply to HMilstein8

One gathers up all the Assets, the PREL (Project file), the full list of folders/sub-folders in the Scratch Disk location, and just Deletes them in Windows Explorer. Then, empty the Recycle Bin. They will all be gone.

Now, where one finds all the files, will depend greatly on how they have done the Project layout, regarding folders, hence my response above. If they are scattered all about, then one must hunt for each and every one, that they intend to Delete.

How do you structure you Project's? That will allow a very specific answer.

Also, do you wish to remove all Assets from the HDD at the same time?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2011 6:22 PM   in reply to xcritic

To combine elements from serveral Projects, or from one Project, plus other Assets, first go to the Project(s), and Export/Share as something like DV-AVI for an SD Project. Then, start a New Project, Import that Exported file, plus any new Assest, or Exported files from other Projects, and then edit them together, as is required, Trimming, Deleting and adding, as you wish.

Hope that this is what you want, and that it helps, good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points